986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Who knew velcro could fail. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47398-who-knew-velcro-could-fail.html)

evan9eleven 07-30-2013 03:02 AM

Who knew velcro could fail.

I have what look to be OEM Porsche embroidered floor mats in my 2004 S. The passenger side mat sticks like glue to its velcro fasteners, while the drivers side mat rolls up into a ball at my feet. It seems like the two halves of the velcro fastener don't actually line up with each other very well, but even if I test by lining one up perfectly it still won't fasten. It doesn't seem like the mat side of the velcro can be changed out but the mat is still in good shape and I just want it to stay parked in place on the floor. Suggestions for a fix?

Burg Boxster 07-30-2013 06:23 AM

you can move the car side of velco disc so it lines up properly... it's just screwed into the carpet. Turn it anticlockwise while pulling up slightly to remove... clockwise to fasten into a new spot.

If fuzzy/loop side of velcro on back of mat is no longer fuzzy enough to catch disc/hook side... just take some new adhesive backed looped portion of velcro and apply to back of the mats. For most accurate placement though, cut it to size of and then interlock it gently w/ the disc hook in carpet (avoid any previous velcro spots on back of mat). Then remove protective tape and position floor mat correctly in foot well over top. Press firmly to get new velcro to stick to mat back... might want to help the adhesive tape a little too w/ just a dab of super glue. Once in place, carefully remove from vehicle so superglue can cure properly.

I did this to make my Lloyds mats work in my 997 as opposed to using the tab system they provided.

Good luck :)

evan9eleven 07-30-2013 06:28 AM

Great tips... thanks! :cheers:

steved0x 07-30-2013 07:39 AM

I have the exact same problem on my driver's side so this is good to know.

Steve

steved0x 09-25-2013 06:05 AM

The Porsche part number for the Velcro discs is: 98655198500

Pelican Parts - Product Information: OEM-98655198500

I was never able to find it by searching but I called Suncoast and got the part number; they found it in the 2004 Boxster S Anniversary Edition section of the catalog...

Steve

mistermac99 09-25-2013 09:49 AM

I have been looking for the locking tab replacements, since the ones I have on the driver's side pop loose.
I got two new sets from Pelican, that came from Lloyds, but they were too short.
I think I will try the velcro on the back of the mat, to see if it will stick to the floor disc.
Thanks for the tip!