Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #1

Question 986 Strange Problem

I have a 99 Boxster that I have owned for 4 years. The car has been wonderful but I had something very strange happen this weekend that I wanted to share. Car has been running great, stopped at the grocery store for 15 minutes on Saturday and when I came out the car would not start. After a few tries I could tell the battery was not spinning the engine as it should. Came back the next day and installed a new battery. Car would then turn over beautifully but would still NOT start. I had it towed to my mechanic. Two hours later they called and said the car runs fine and started the first time they tried!! I'm perplexed as I don't want this to happen again. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any response. Kevin

krs2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
soucorp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs2230 View Post
I have a 99 Boxster that I have owned for 4 years. The car has been wonderful but I had something very strange happen this weekend that I wanted to share. Car has been running great, stopped at the grocery store for 15 minutes on Saturday and when I came out the car would not start. After a few tries I could tell the battery was not spinning the engine as it should. Came back the next day and installed a new battery. Car would then turn over beautifully but would still NOT start. I had it towed to my mechanic. Two hours later they called and said the car runs fine and started the first time they tried!! I'm perplexed as I don't want this to happen again. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any response. Kevin

Assuming your car has been well maintained and does not need a tune-up, it sounds like the 'Starter' could be going bad. Or you have a loose ground wire somewhere. Secondary things to look at are fuel pump, battery & terminal connection, crank sensors, coils, sparkplugs... The Main four areas that make a car run are: (Spark - Fuel - Air - electricals/sensors/battery)
I would ask your mechanic to check it out.

Best

Last edited by soucorp; 09-25-2013 at 05:30 AM.
soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #3

If you use the search function on the above toolbar, type in CPS or crank position sensor. They have a habit of failing when hot and sometimes working when cool.
I'm not suggesting your problem can't be something else like a failing fuel pump, but the CPS seem to attract this type of failure - working one minute and failing the next....

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 09-24-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
If you use the search function on the above toolbar, type in CPS or crank position sensor. They have a habit of failing when hot and sometimes working when cool.
I'm not suggesting your problem can't be something else like a failing fuel pump, but the CPS seem to attract this type of failure - working one minute and failing the next....
Steve,
Do you know if the CPS on a routine maintenance schedule to be replaced after so many miles/age?
Thanks

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #5

Not that I have seen in the Porsche books I've got - 986 handbook / Bentley's / 101 Projects.
A bit like the coolant pump or MAF or AOS or fuel pump maintenance schedules....
Old 09-25-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
pjq

Clutch switch, if its a standard.

pjq is offline   Reply With Quote