Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #1

Garage
New member ... intro

Hi folks, I just bought a 2002 Boxster S. I pick it up tomorrow...yip yah !
Drove 300kms to have a look and found a car worthy of entry into a concours .... no kidding. After looking at trashed out or worn out cars for a week I was amazed at the condition of this one, so I cut a deal and will have my first porsche tomorrow.

My background (no swearing or derogatory comments please): Member BMW Z4 forum. Arizona Z car Club and ZSCCA.
Started with a 2001 BMW Z3 in 2004, followed by a 2005 M3, then a 2009 Z4 (396hp), then added a 2003 Z4 (wifes), then another 2001 Z3 (245hp). Yes, I had three roadsters in my driveway at the same time. Sanity prevailed and after a "P***Off" event with the 2009 they all went away and I had no roadster to zip around in for the first time in 9 years. So, after seeing the Z's compared to the boxsters in every category (and coming 2nd ) for so many years I had to test a couple.....I loved them and I've barely driven one yet. I will post a few pics of the new one after I get it home and have a minute to spare.
My regular car is a 2013 A6

Last edited by Mcbeee; 07-28-2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Mcbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #2

Congrats and welcome to the club.

Go find your local Pca club and have fun.

Are you an Arizona snow bird?

Dual Canadian/US citizen here in S Cali
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #3

Garage
SoCali : Not quite a full fledged snowbird yet, my wife still has to work a bit longer.
I was doing the twisty's in Malibu a couple of years ago at a zee(zed) car convention, great fun !!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #4

Garage
Welcome to the board. You'll find people on the board come from all sorts of vehicles, including airplines, boats, and the occasional animal. The newest Z4s are stunning! I certainly would like a Z4 35i.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:08 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
Welcome to the board. You'll find people on the board come from all sorts of vehicles, including airplines, boats, and the occasional animal. The newest Z4s are stunning! I certainly would like a Z4 35i.

with Dinan Stage II , Very fast, very quick and awesome to drive.

It peed me off one too many times.... now I have a Boxster

Last edited by Mcbeee; 07-29-2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Clumsy fingers
Old 07-29-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
recycledsixtie

Garage
Welcome McBee from slightly north of you. I congratulate you on your purchase of a Boxster S. I have a 2001 Boxster base and have yet to make a drive yet to Cal/Ariz yet. You sound like you know what you are looking for with a background of BMW's and not rushing in to buy the first Box you looked at. What made you switch to the Boxster after all those years of owning a BMW? How many kms on your Boxster S?
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:48 AM   #7

(300km = 187.5mi for the yanks.)

Welcome and congrats.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #8

Yes McBee, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new arrival!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Welcome McBee from slightly north of you. I congratulate you on your purchase of a Boxster S. I have a 2001 Boxster base and have yet to make a drive yet to Cal/Ariz yet. You sound like you know what you are looking for with a background of BMW's and not rushing in to buy the first Box you looked at. What made you switch to the Boxster after all those years of owning a BMW? How many kms on your Boxster S?
I wanted the handling and although my 35i Z4 was a monster it just didn't handle like the nimble little sports car it should be. My second choice was a Z3 M Roadster but to find one in excellent condition is like finding the Holy Grail, damned near impossible.
I also learned a lot trying to keep up to the Z3's in my 35i Z4 when we were doing the twisty's in California, and when I had my second Z3 I did a few twisty's in Az and New Mex. (Check out the Coronado Trail on Google maps ...Western NewMex...) The Z3/Z4 was always compared to and usually considered 2nd place to the Boxster in handling so I had to check it out.

81000kms on the Boxster.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #10

Garage
Congrats on the new (to you) Boxster S and welcome to the forum. I've found the members here very friendly and more than willing to help with any issues that might come up.

The "search" function can be very helpful in answering many questions that regularly come up here.

Good luck with the delivery today, looking forward to pics
Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #11

Did someone just introduce themselves without showing pics??? This place is going to hell...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #12

Garage
Yep, it didn't happen if there are no pictures! Welcome to the forum!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Did someone just introduce themselves without showing pics??? This place is going to hell...
You wrote what I was thinking. And the OP lives within an hour or two of EXCELLENT twisties (Banff) where said pics could be easily taken.

Harumph :troll:

Let's get this corrected quickly, my new friend. You're more than welcome on this forum as long as you post pics of the new ride with an interesting background my car rarely sees
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #14

Garage
ahem, there are no twisty's in, near or on Banff worthy of a Porsche, BMW or even a lowly Miata......
there are a few miles of curves on the Johnson Canyon road but its one lane and summer so gawkers, RV's and campers abound. all doing 20mph.

There may be pics tomorrow after a wash and wax.(Just drove 300kms in the rain) Plus I need proper plates on the car....busy day tomorrow
Old 07-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #15

No twisties? I retract my statements.

That's so wrong. Mountains without twisties?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
No twisties? I retract my statements.

That's so wrong. Mountains without twisties?
Most back roads up there are gravel. Or just hiking trails. I had to go way south to find windy paved roads. There were a few decent ones up here that the supercars used to play on until the polizia caught on and then the road surfaces deteriorated to quite poor so they became a non-issue.