Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 03:13 PM   #1

Retractable Spoiler Warning Light

For the past day or two I have noticed that the retractable spoiler warning light has been on. The manual told me to extend the spoiler manually by pressing the spoiler rocker switch, but I'm afraid that if the light came on because somthing was jammed that bringing it up manually might make things worse. On the other hand, I might have just kicked the switch getting in/out of the car and it's no big deal. Anyway, would you recommend that I just flip the switch or go to a dealer to get an opinion before I do anything. Thanks in advance from a new and probably paranoid Boxster owner.

rubberduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
olly986

flip the switch you paranoid boxster owner!!
nothing drastic should happen and you can see if something goes wrong anyway(get it done by someone else while you watch) you have to keep your finger on the switch anyway to get it to go up or down
Old 01-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #3

The light is not there to tell you if the spoiler is up or down. It is there to tell you if there is a malfunction and it is not up at speed.

New owners sometimes confuse the idiot lights. Depending on the year the trunk and top lights look something like a spoiler.

If for sure it is the spoiler then my dealer replaces the drive.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #4

Question Spoiler light on until ~10 kph

Hey gang, I'm seeing the retractable spoiler warning light after I start the engine; however, it goes away once I start rolling.

No warning light when I get above 120kph.

Any thoughts on what is going on?
Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gent
Hey gang, I'm seeing the retractable spoiler warning light after I start the engine; however, it goes away once I start rolling.

No warning light when I get above 120kph.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

Nothing!

The spoiler extends @ approx. 70mph and retracts @ approx. 50 mph. In order to do that, the car has to know when these speeds have been reached.

This is accomplished with a speed calibration by the DME (ecu) when the car is 1st started. Once the car is up to 3 mph, the calibration is done and the light goes off telling you that all is fine.

The light will only go on again if the spoiler fails to extend/retract when it should, or if the electrical circuit fails, such as a blown fuse or relay to warn you that care should be taken at 'spoiler' speeds because the rear can get a little squirelly.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #6

Ah good, thanks. I figured it was something like that since it goes off at approximately the speed other of my cars initiate ABS tests.

Thanks for the calming information.

Gent is offline   Reply With Quote