Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
DIY extremist

Appalachian trail in a Boxster S!

I have to get my Boxster from NYC to West Tennessee before next Monday to deliver her to her new owner. I'm planning to keep it as rural and two-lane as possible. I'll then be heading back in my new-to-me 2008 Box S!

Can anyone recommend a good twisty route? I want to stay off the beaten path.
Also interested in fun places to stop along the way and some light camping / hiking (I'll have my 1 man tent, air mattress, and cookware).

If anyone lives in this area and wants to meet up for a beer and to talk Porsche, that's cool too!

This is the route I got using google maps and putting in waypoints to stay in the mountains.

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I was just in WV last week. Any road that is not an interstate hi way will be an awesome ride. Pretty much the same thing in PA.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #3

How many days are you taking for the trip? You'll likely have to pick some backroad sections between interstate stretches, unless you have 3 long days of driving available. I recently drove the Blue Ridge Pkwy. from Spruce Pine NC to Roanoke VA. It's a nice road, better the further South you go, Mt. Mitchel was a nice area.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #4

You're gonna be right in Tail of the Dragon country...wouldn't wanna miss that!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #5

Ditto on what Frodo said. Find 129 on your map. You have a white dot on the base of the twisty portion of it on your map above. Basically, all the fun begins at Robbinsville and goes north into Tennessee. I can't tell from the map, but it looks as if you may have chosen it already.

I would suggest you drive up it AND back down it at least once and then take the Cherahola Highway into Tennessee. It has wide sweepers through the Smokey Mountains.

I'm not jealous over the length of your trip in your car, but I sure am jealous over the fact that you're driving these two roads without me on your tail!

I will be vacationing in Robbinsville this year, but sadly, I'll be in our sedan with the wife, dog, and a bunch of crap in the trunk and back seat.

I might still take everything (and everyone) out of the car and make a run up and down the Dragon just for fun!!!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
If you are taking the Blue Ridge around Mt Mitchell check in advance. All the rain we have had caused a 200 yard section of the road to slip away. I’m not sure if it is the access road to Mt Mitchell or the actual Blue Ridge. If you can get up Mt Mitchell you should do it, it’s the highest point in the east and it is beautiful.
If you do have to detour or even if you don’t…take 226a from Little Switzerland down and back, this is one awesome road that you don’t want to miss. It is also called Alt 226 and goes down to NC 226.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #7

and on which part of this trip should you be weary of banjo players with missing teeth ;-)
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
and on which part of this trip should you be weary of banjo players with missing teeth ;-)
Ah that would be points 2 and 3 big daddy. Oh I just kid my WV buddies, it's a beautiful place.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Black_Box - On the way back if you are coming thru Charlotte NC you are always welcome, my door is always open to Porsche buddies, have plenty of room. You are going to love your new 2008 'S'.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #10

Man am I totally ENVIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That looks like a Great Trip!!!
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
DIY extremist

Alright! All set to leave at 3:30 in the morning to beat the Northeast traffic!

ChrisZang, I may take you up on that -- I have a buddy in Virginia Beach I'd love to pay a visit and you're on the way.

Don't worry guys, there will be plenty of pics from the road!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_box View Post
Alright! All set to leave at 3:30 in the morning to beat the Northeast traffic!

ChrisZang, I may take you up on that -- I have a buddy in Virginia Beach I'd love to pay a visit and you're on the way.

Don't worry guys, there will be plenty of pics from the road!
Ha! You better get some sleep...CA is not on the way to Virginia Beach
Old 07-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
As the lone banjo player in this group, I'm officially calling foul!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #14

It doesn't matter to me...just get it there in one piece.

stilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #15

Garage
I live just off the blue ridge parkway just north of Asheville, nc and regularly plan drives for many PCA and other car and bike groups in the smokies, blue ridge mountains and all over NC, TENN, and Va. If yoy want to give me a call I will set down with a map and tell you some great drives. If you want to stop over on the way, we have a spare bedroom and I am always ready to drive some twisties. Tail of the dragon is interesting, but we have much better roads without the traffic and heavy law enforcement. Bob 828 385 3100 bjfutrell@ccvn.com
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #16

I thought you might join in.

I'd take Bob up on his offer, I did for my trip, and had a great time.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #17

So you're going on "The Appalatian trail." Does that mean thats the story you are giving work and family while you are really visiting your mistress in Argentina? It didn't work very well for Sanford, so you may want to change your story.

Mark Sanford disappearance and extramarital affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Tail of the dragon is interesting, but we have much better roads without the traffic and heavy law enforcement.
SO true!! After driving 700 miles one weekend I found some amazing roads and I only touched the surface.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #19
DIY extremist

While the suckers at sea level were dealing with 100+ temps, I made it down in a couple of days from NY to TN, partly on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was amazing --- no traffic, no speed traps, no nothing but amazing alpine scenery and curves.

I spent the night camping out on Mt. Rogers in SW Virginia, and then took the final freeway blast across to west TN. About to head back today, planning to stay in the Townsend, TN area and then get up early to ride the tail (and maybe the back) of the dragon before heading back to the congested pothole nightmare of the northeast!

WhipE350 -- thanks for the invite, although it's looking as if I'll be cutting north before Charlotte.
Chris Zang -- sorry, my mistake, I WAS sleepy!
Mountainman -- thanks for the recommendations, hopefully I'll be in your region before dark today!

Watch this thread for more pics from the road from the next couple of days.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
Newb

This is so tempting. I need to be in Johnson City, TN (about 90 miles north of Ashville, NC) for work from August 5th through the 16th. I have always wanted to ride my bike or Boxster down to this area of the country. I usually fly and rent a car when traveling outside the Northeast for work. But I could leave a few days early and then I do have the weekend of Aug 10th & 11th off. I also wrap up on Friday the 16th and do not need to be home until Sunday night the 18th, so it is so tempting to take the Boxster.

Looks like my route would be similar to Black Box's, only I would not be heading west once in TN.

Black Box, did you go through Johnson City?

What routes did you take as an alternative to 81 from Harrisburg PA?

I think I will get my car in for a pre-trip inspection on Monday.

2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote