Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #1

How do you remove the shift boot?

Replacing just the shift boot on a '99 Boxster, bought a replacement off eBay. I've done a search and lots of talk about replacing the shift knob, but not boot.

So, how do you remove and replace the shift boot?

black_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

I just did mine not too long ago. The process is pretty easy. once you have the base of the boot disconnected the shift boot is just wrapped around the ring, there are holes in the boot that keep it connected and a little glue you may have to pull off (mine was pretty worn out and not sticking any more). You will also have to cut the old boot off the shifter with a x-acto knife or something similar. (My new boot is rolled up over the bottom of the shift knob and stays in place just fine.)

Once the old boot is off, put on the new one with a little glue (I used contact cement) on the ring, place in the car, add the shift knob back on.

Overall it was a very easy process and once you pull off the shifter, it should be pretty easy going.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim1ock77 View Post
I just did mine not too long ago. The process is pretty easy. once you have the base of the boot disconnected the shift boot is just wrapped around the ring, there are holes in the boot that keep it connected and a little glue you may have to pull off (mine was pretty worn out and not sticking any more). You will also have to cut the old boot off the shifter with a x-acto knife or something similar. (My new boot is rolled up over the bottom of the shift knob and stays in place just fine.)

Once the old boot is off, put on the new one with a little glue (I used contact cement) on the ring, place in the car, add the shift knob back on.

Overall it was a very easy process and once you pull off the shifter, it should be pretty easy going.

Thanks for the reply. Did you have to pull the shift knob off in order to get the boot on?
black_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #4

yes, the shift knob has to come off if you are replacing the boot. You will need to pull up really hard - I suggest dropping the top and pulling up and away from the rear view mirror to limit damaging the car or yourself. When it gives, you will jerk back - it is held on by a tongue and grove system - no screws.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Twist the knob back and forth several times. This will stretch the rubber a bit and it will slide off much easier. The rubber will shrink back to its normal shape and fit back on snugly.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Also, if replacing the whole boot, you'll will need to remove the plastic bit at the top. Use a wide blade flat head screwdriver to gently work it off by prying under the the shoulder of it. It comes off at a 45 degree angle, up and back.

Last edited by particlewave; 07-20-2013 at 09:50 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote