986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Getting my 03' Boxster Today (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47120-getting-my-03-boxster-today.html)

dbansal 07-17-2013 10:34 AM

Getting my 03' Boxster Today

Getting my 03' Boxster today. Dealer needed to do some work on it, paint, rebadge on the trunk and new keys... Going to pick it up at 7... CANT WAIT!!!!

RandallNeighbour 07-17-2013 11:16 AM

post pix asap! Congrats!!!

Great choice. rear glass window!

jb92563 07-17-2013 11:21 AM

Hows your weather looking for this weekend :p

To make things even more fun you should go find the local Porsche club
weekend scenic drive and tag along, or garage/breakfast meeting and meet some like minded folks that can get you up to speed fast....literally!

Take Pictures for us, and have fun.

dbansal 07-17-2013 08:22 PM

So I got it today!! Pix coming soon. What a dream! The keys seem to be a little screwy. Both fire up the ignition. One will unlock lock doors only and doesn't open the trunks. The other one does nothing at all to open locks or trunks. Any ideas?

Also, kinda disappointed at myself for not checking if the car had cruise control or computer functionality. But it has HIDs and a tan leather interior. So who cares right?!

Nimbus117 07-18-2013 01:23 AM

Congrats on getting the car.

First thing to do is change the battery on the dead key. The other one I would take it to pieces and see if there is anything up with the trunk buttons internally. Did you get a warranty? I would take it back and get them to sort it at the first instance.

Adding cruise control & OBC is easy on our cars. You need a couple of plugs, some VW wires and a 4 stalk indicator unit and a quick trip to a dealer to enable in the computer. Maybe a project for the future, took me less than 2 hours to do mine.

dbansal 07-18-2013 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimbus117 (Post 352444)
Congrats on getting the car.

First thing to do is change the battery on the dead key. The other one I would take it to pieces and see if there is anything up with the trunk buttons internally. Did you get a warranty? I would take it back and get them to sort it at the first instance.

Adding cruise control & OBC is easy on our cars. You need a couple of plugs, some VW wires and a 4 stalk indicator unit and a quick trip to a dealer to enable in the computer. Maybe a project for the future, took me less than 2 hours to do mine.

Cool. Thanks for that nimbus! Although I'm pretty handy with most things, this car is not something I'd want to touch myself (at least not yet).

As far as the keys are concerned, one of them was actually working completely fine, and then after I got back from my ride, the trunks buttons did not work... The other one is still completely shot. Would you still blame battery as culprits even though the red LEDs are going off?

dbansal 07-18-2013 04:18 AM

Oh, and as far as the warranty goes. The dealer has given me this verbal warranty, and also a 3rd party "lifetime power train warranty" Covers up to $4K in cost. I don't know if I should throw that out the window or not... I told him I didn't really care for that since most of those 3rd party warranty things are shams anyway.

dbansal 07-18-2013 04:20 AM

Had a moment to take some pics before I left for work this morning... It's parked in a rented spot in someone's parking lot a few houses down. I get to see it every morning before I take the bus to NYC. Put a smile on my face this morning..

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/...psea99a194.jpg

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0d424db3.jpg

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/...ps11318621.jpg

voltaire 07-18-2013 08:03 AM

dbansal,

do you mind if i ask which dealership you purchased from?...i'm shopping around right now and am hesitant about buying this kind of car from a used dealer...not because of the dealer themselves, just simply because it's hard to really know how the cars were kept by previous owners (particularly if there were more than a couple).
did you have any qualms?

ekam 07-18-2013 09:26 AM

Ppi ppi ppi

recycledsixtie 07-18-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voltaire (Post 352497)
dbansal,

do you mind if i ask which dealership you purchased from?...i'm shopping around right now and am hesitant about buying this kind of car from a used dealer...not because of the dealer themselves, just simply because it's hard to really know how the cars were kept by previous owners (particularly if there were more than a couple).
did you have any qualms?

Qualms? Yes yes yes. As the above says PPI PPI PPI . You need receipts for work done. I would prefer buying privately as more likely to get service history. Reading everything you can about Buying a Boxster on this forum. Mike Focke has good reading material about buying a used Boxster...Don't fall in love with the first one you see.

BruceH 07-18-2013 10:50 AM

Great looking Boxster! Love the color:D

dbansal 07-18-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by recycledsixtie (Post 352505)
Qualms? Yes yes yes. As the above says PPI PPI PPI . You need receipts for work done. I would prefer buying privately as more likely to get service history. Reading everything you can about Buying a Boxster on this forum. Mike Focke has good reading material about buying a used Boxster...Don't fall in love with the first one you see.

I had gotten a ppi (pre purchase inspection) done by a private mechanic. Mechanic said it was fine. My over all experience was good.. Make sure you haggle on price and small details... I got the dealer to go down from $17,995 to $14,450 + nearly $1,500 in taxes and fees, and that included getting some small cosmetic work done.

What will kill you is the doc fees and taxes. Going private you can avoid those.

Also, the car fax on my car had a ton of service history on it, so I was pretty comfortable..

I got my car from Jack Daniels in NJ. (There are a couple of problems on the car (keys, and HIDs flicker sometimes when starting up)). So if they fix those, I'll give them a thumbs up otherwise you will see me maligning them quite extensively.

dbansal 07-18-2013 10:59 AM

BTW, I knew what I wanted, so this was the first one I saw, and the first one I fell in love with. I knew I did not want black/red/yellow and that I did not want a manual transmission, and something close to my home.

I think the compliment to that combination is a short list...

dbansal 07-18-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceH (Post 352520)
Great looking Boxster! Love the color:D

Thanks! :cheers:

Coffinhunter 07-18-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbansal (Post 352459)
Had a moment to take some pics before I left for work this morning... It's parked in a rented spot in someone's parking lot a few houses down. I get to see it every morning before I take the bus to NYC. Put a smile on my face this morning..

Don't know how you can walk past her every morning without taking a spin. Daily driving mine is part of what gets me through my day! :cheers:

Beautiful car, and welcome to the forum

dbansal 07-18-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffinhunter (Post 352548)
Don't know how you can walk past her every morning without taking a spin. Daily driving mine is part of what gets me through my day! :cheers:

Beautiful car, and welcome to the forum

Haha...I get through my day by looking forward to driving it after work!

bar10dah 07-18-2013 12:15 PM

Very nice!

dbansal 07-18-2013 12:27 PM

Here's another pic of the beautiful interior...

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/...psc2197ff7.jpg

BruceH 07-18-2013 02:31 PM

Time to buy some custom floor mats!