986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   hifi Stereo Question...impedance, amp, rear shelf speakers (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47087-hifi-stereo-question-impedance-amp-rear-shelf-speakers.html)

Chard 07-15-2013 04:42 PM

hifi Stereo Question...impedance, amp, rear shelf speakers

I have a 2000 Boxster S with the following stereo options:

M696 CD Radio "Porsche CDR-220"
M490 Hi-Fi Sound Package
M680 Hi-Fi Audio System with Booster
M584 Storage Box above Engine

I checked my factory amp and it is 6 channel. My factory head unit is the Becker CDR 220 and I have dash and door speakers. There seem to be many variations of stereo configurations.

I want to replace the dash and door speakers. I was under the assumption that the speakers are all 4 ohm since I don't have the BOSE option, but when I took apart my driver's door panel, I saw a sticker that said the door speakers are 2 ohm. I haven't had a chance to take out the dash speakers, but I already purchased a set of Focal KP100s, which are 4 ohm components.

I assume the rear shelf speakers are powered since I have a 6 channel amp (shocking because I can barely hear anything coming out of those). Does anyone know if those are 2 or 4 ohm?

Can I change the door speakers to 4 ohm and still retain the stock amp or must that be changed?

I am planning to change my head unit too.

Thanks in advance, new to aftermarket car stereos.

Ian c 07-15-2013 05:18 PM

As a general rule going higher is fine ..
(2 into 4 goes )
However it will be quieter ...

Johnny Danger 07-15-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chard (Post 352057)
I have a 2000 Boxster S with the following stereo options:

M696 CD Radio "Porsche CDR-220"
M490 Hi-Fi Sound Package
M680 Hi-Fi Audio System with Booster
M584 Storage Box above Engine

I checked my factory amp and it is 6 channel. My factory head unit is the Becker CDR 220 and I have dash and door speakers. There seem to be many variations of stereo configurations.

I want to replace the dash and door speakers. I was under the assumption that the speakers are all 4 ohm since I don't have the BOSE option, but when I took apart my driver's door panel, I saw a sticker that said the door speakers are 2 ohm. I haven't had a chance to take out the dash speakers, but I already purchased a set of Focal KP100s, which are 4 ohm components.

I assume the rear shelf speakers are powered since I have a 6 channel amp (shocking because I can barely hear anything coming out of those). Does anyone know if those are 2 or 4 ohm?

Can I change the door speakers to 4 ohm and still retain the stock amp or must that be changed?

I am planning to change my head unit too.

Thanks in advance, new to aftermarket car stereos.

I believe that I have the exact same system in my vehicle. Is yours equipped with the funky DSP equalizer thing as well ?

Chard 07-15-2013 08:43 PM

Yeah! It's like a totally antiquated EQ setup. I plan on replacing the space with a (more useful) cubby.

The French Dude 07-21-2013 04:52 AM

Just a question, Are the doors speakers subwoofers ?
Because I seam have the same setup and mine gives just bass sounds... :confused:

Nimbus117 07-21-2013 12:07 PM

My 2003 has subwoofers in the doors too. I added rear speakers and the system was much better afterwards.

The French Dude 07-22-2013 04:24 AM

Thanks Nimbus !
I think I will do the same here...
But I have to trouble shoot my front right speaker which is work when it want !

Nimbus117 07-22-2013 05:27 AM

Here are the rear speaker installation instructions, I bought the kit and it just plugs in. A lot of people buy the speakers and make the mounts, grill and wiring themselves:

Pelican Technical Article: Installing the Boxster Rear Speaker Kit - 986 / 987

I replaced the headunit shortly after with a Pioneer 940BT satnav unit. This meant replacing the rubbish MOST Porsche amplifier with an Alpine unit which increased the bass from the door subs immensely. I also replaced the dash speakers with Alpines. I got a good price for the CDR23, amp and CD changer which paid for half of what I spent:

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps58396842.png