Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

CV boots (and joints?) replacement

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Boxster from my brother-in-law. The last time he brought it to a mechanic was in 2011, when he got the clutch replaced. I got the car from him about a month ago. Last week, I went under the car and saw a torn driver's side inner CV boot. I don't know how long it has been like that. Assuming the CV boot wasn't torn when the mechanic looked at in in 2011, then it could've been torn for quite a while. I looked up how to check CV joints, and I tried to listen for the clicking sound, vibration on acceleration, noise when turning hard on forward and reverse, driving in circle in reverse, and I heard no sound at all.

So the question is should I replace the inner CV joints? Assuming that the boot might be torn for a while, but I don't see (or hear) any symptoms of a bad CV joint (to my best). Those are not cheap, and I don't want to waste parts that are still good. I will obviously replace all 4 boots.

Another question is that the Pelican article about the CV joints sounds like the boots and inner joint replacement can be done with the axle on the car and the transmission end detached. Has anyone actually done this like that? I'm kinda intimidated by the idea of undoing the axle nut and retorquing it right (I don't know why).

Any help, experience, tips are greatly appreciated!
Thank you

hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #2

Non-OE axles are actually pretty inexpensive. If you are going to the trouble to remove the axle, I'd change the whole thing. I changed mine a couple of years ago and have had no issues with them. The axle replacement process is not hugely difficult but you might want to invest in a half-inch drive socket and breaker bar if you don't have one already. 3/4 inch is probable over-kill. I've never needed it.

Wret is offline   Reply With Quote