986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   CDR-23 soft RH channel (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47044-cdr-23-soft-rh-channel.html)

chipmunk 07-14-2013 02:38 AM

CDR-23 soft RH channel

Morning all

I have just bought myself a 2003 Boxster 3.2 Tiptronic. I have always wanted one of these and the experience so far has not disappointed me.

Unfortunately 2 days ago, the std CDR-23 radio cd froze up and ever since the RH channel (dashboard speakers) has been very quiet. The LH channel is fine.

My system is comprised of the CDR-23 head unit connected via fibre optic to an amplifier in the front boot. I have one set of speakers in the dash (a mid range unit and a tweeter) and a set of bass drivers in the doors.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Or have any advice for me?

Many thanks

Rickinduncan 07-14-2013 05:54 AM

If you're sure the balance is set correctly and it still won't work, then the amp is bad. Mine was like that (2003 base model) when I bought it. The amp in the frunk was a quick change out.

chipmunk 07-14-2013 10:26 AM

Yesterday I tried everything to get the channel working - all the menu options and setting, I took out the amp and reseated the connections, disconnected the battery, drove around for a while, all with no joy. Today I get in the car and the channel is working again! How do you explain that?

ohhh my 07-14-2013 05:41 PM

The cdr-23 headunit and amp setup is a bit funky at times. I have an 03S with the same bose system and setup.

Sometimes I get no sound coming out of any of my speakers until I park the car for 2-3 hours and everything will work again. It works everytime in the morning, so I'm assuming it's a heat issue. I'm not sure if it's because of the amp or the headunit. Pulling the fuse fixes it 75% of the time if i keep trying...

chipmunk 07-22-2013 08:13 AM

Intermittent CDR-23 Amp problem fixed

Something that may help all you folks out there who are having intermittent problems with your CDR-23 Systems.

When for the 3rd time, my RH channel stopped working, I decided to take out the amp and see whether I could fix it. On opening it up I found a number of dry solder joints - this is where (usually through heat) the solder around the component wire has cracked.

I got out my trusty Weller solder station and soldered up all the joints that looked suspect. Hey presto - amp working perfectly again. :)

It's my guess that the power transistors get quite hot and over time bad connections will develop.

Happy to help anyone who lives in the Kent (United Kingdom) area.

Let me know if this works for you.