Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

Porsche Boxster windows unresponsive?

Hello everyone,

First post here! But expect many more to come, ha ha. I recently acquired a 2002 986 Boxster from my father; he is letting me use the car while I find a job. I am a big car guy but sold my own car to finish school. Really, I took the car from him because it has a long list of problems and he is too lazy to fix them, ha ha. So it has sat in his garage un-driven for nearly a year!

Anyway, first thing's first. The driver's window recently failed. After doing some research, I concluded that it was the regulator. One day I rolled the window down and heard cracking noises.. then it wouldn't roll up. After digging around, sure enough it was the regulator.

..fast forward to now.

The other day, when I unlocked the car using the key, the passenger window rolled down half way all on it's own. I thought it odd, but put the top down anyway, dropped the windows and drove around. When it was time to park, I noticed the passenger window would not roll up at all. After messing with the switch for a bit, I finally got it to roll up. Of course, I decided to test fate and hope that it was an isolated incident. So I rolled it back down. It went down without a hitch or any odd noises. But now, of course, it will not roll back up.

When I press the window switch, I can hear a faint click inside the door panel, and then another click about a second later. This happens when I press up or down, but the window never moves. It does not sound like the motor actually moves, but I am no expert. It almost sounds as if the motor tries to do something then immediately gives up after a second maybe? If the motor is trying to work, it's nearly silent though.

I do not think it's the regulator, but I suppose I could be wrong. It seems like just one of the pain in the butt problems and I'm hoping that you all can help me! I would be surprised if the regulator broke and completely jammed out of nowhere, but who knows. This window has shown no previous signs of failure. It's always done the little inch roll to open the doors just fine, etc. By the way, I've already tried using my fingers to press in the switches in the top lever area, and that did nothing for me.

Thanks!
John

aadosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Wanted to report that I ended up just disconnecting the battery for a few hours to, as some one said it, "let the computer reset because sometimes it gets confused." Sure enough it worked! Very happy that the window is working again. Annoyed that these cars are so finicky! Oh well, and hopefully this post will help someone else out in the future.

Cheers,
John
aadosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

Thanks for sharing your experience bro.

Pedrof is offline   Reply With Quote