Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
recycledsixtie

Garage
Sensitivity to cost of running your Box....

Meaning do you budget a certain amount each year for spending on maintenance repairs? Do you have an upper limit? Do not include improvements but provision for breakdowns and actual breakdowns only.

To take it to the extreme if you had an IMS failure would you get a new engine, or rebuilt or Raby rebuild? Or just sell as a roller.Obviously diyers guys could fix their Box cheaper.

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #2

Based upon comments in many threads, I had decided to budget $2000.00 per year for maintenance and repairs. I dirve about 8000 km (5,ooo miles) annually. So far in 1.5 years I have done two oil/filter changes, replaced the serpentine belt (scheduled maintenance), air filter, wiper blades and ignition switch. That's it. As a result, at this point I am approximately $2500.00 to the good (1.5 X 2000 = 3000 - 500 for repairs/maintenance to date). I could use it to upgrade the IMS bearing, although I have decided to wait until the clutch goes and bank the balance. Assuming I have no additional repairs required this year ( I know, a big assumption), I will by next year have $4500.00 available in my budget for 2014. No, it wouldn't cover a blown engine, but most other contingencies.

Do I consider 2k per year excessive? Not for one minute. My car will be 14 years old in October, I dirve it briskly and get tremendous enjoyment out of every minute behind the wheel. Since I suspect the car has already depreciated virtually as far as it will go (assuming it is kept in excellent condition), I can essentially eliminate depreciation from the cost of ownership, making my Boxster extremely cheap to own and drive. Do some people have costs that average over 2K per year? Obviously. Your annual maintenance costs will vary depending on:

1. You annual mileage.
2. How hard you drive the car. (I know, some people claim that it is better to drive your car hard, but with that will come increase wear on tires, brakes, the clutch, etc., etc.. So to me, 'brisk' yes, but hard, no.).
3. Where and when you drive your car. Salted roads are hard on virtually evey component in the car. On the other hand, extremely high temperatures and hot sun are hard on the cooling system, engine components, the paint, top and interior materials. Rough roads are also hard on tires and suspension componenets.
4. Past maintenance. Here, I refer not only to a short oil change intervals - in my car, every 4 to 5,000 miles since new, but the condition of all other components at your time of purchase. When my car was purchased, it passed the PPI with flying colors. The Michelin tires had 4000 km (about 2500 miles on them since new), the brakes had just been done, the MAF had been recently replaced and the throttle body cleaned, the top had been replaced within the last 2 years, so too the spark plugs and tubes, etc). If your car has imminent repairs at the time of purchase, IMO that should be included in your cost of purchase and not annual maintenance.

If my engine goes (which I still consider extremely unlikely), what will I do? Since my car is otherwise in virtually mint condition (not a single dent or scratch on the body - only a few chips on the front bumper that have been carefully touched up; virtually no signs of wear in the interior; no road rash on the rims, etc.) and, since I love the color scheme and options on my car, I would no doubt opt for another engine. Which route would I take? I guess it depends upon what was available at the time. I can't imagine going for the cost of an upgraded Raby engine on the car, as its value just does not justify it. I would probably go for the best used engine I could find and upgrade the IMS bearing and other components showing signs of wear at the time of purchase.

Brad

southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote