986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rattle (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/46990-rattle.html)

Bumbstead 07-10-2013 07:33 AM

Rattle

I have not owned my car long, and don't have a shop manual. I have had a rattle that I thought was from exhaust, but had the car on a hoist today and it is coming from the top of the engine.

So, how do you get at the top of the engine on these cars??

Mark_T 07-10-2013 07:57 AM

Try doing a search on how to put the car into service mode. It is also explained in the owner manual which, if you don't have one, can be freely downloaded from Rennlist and other sources. There is also a good DIY with pictures at Pedro's Garage.

(Accessing the Engine)

I notice that most of your questions so far have been answered repeatedly in the forum already, and that you could have easily found the answer yourself using the forum search function . You will find people here much more willing to help you if you at least make some effort to find information yourself first before posting a question, especially one as basic as this one.

Bumbstead 07-10-2013 08:26 AM

Thanks for that, Mark. And yes, I will start using the search function. I am new to using a forum like this, but will make more effort.

Karl

RandallNeighbour 07-10-2013 10:47 AM

When you discover what was rattling on the top of the engine please come back to this thread and let us know. Take pictures and post them as well.

I have a very annoying rattle on the top of the motor I cannot locate. Grrrr.

Mark_T 07-10-2013 11:37 AM

Attaboy. There's a lot of things about these cars that aren't obvious or intuitive. It is time well spent to just read back through the last few months of posts in the general discussion and technical chat sections. You'll be amazed at how much you will pick up. I gave you the link for Pedro's page, which is my personal favorite for DIY's. Pelican also has a really good tech section. You may want to get the Bentley shop manual and Wayne's 101 projects book, although you won't find much in there that isn't available online on the DIY pages and Youtube.

Where abouts in Ontario are you?

Bumbstead 07-11-2013 02:35 AM

Hanover. Two hours north/west of Toronto

Mark_T 07-11-2013 06:13 AM

Cool. I had a buddy fairly close to you up in Owen Sound. Sadly, he is now a cross on the side of the road just this side of Kenora. Another reason I prefer four wheels to two.

Bumbstead 07-11-2013 07:30 AM

Yes, that is sad. I ride a motorcycle too. I have been riding for over 30 years. There have been some close calls, and you definitely don't have any protection on a motorcycle.