986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   GT3 Front Bumper (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4695-gt3-front-bumper.html)

TriGem2k 01-07-2006 05:34 PM

GT3 Front Bumper

Just came back from Precision Porsche (Body kit shop for Porsche since 1986) and decided on the GT3 front bumper. The cost is $700; this includes the bumper and lip. Do you guys think this is a good price or should I continue looking around? Also the owner is willing to install it for another $150.

Please let me know as I am going back next Saturday for the final deal.

Thanks again you guys for all the opinions, they are truly valued

~James

nastyboxster 01-07-2006 06:24 PM

I purchased the turbo bumper from them for the same price, but I wanted the original bottom lip which is urethene. Cost another $100. Check if the lip is urethene because the bumper is made from fibreglass.

You have to be really careful with it since the bumper is not flexible at all. Installation cost seems reasonable, but what about finish and paint? The body shop that I used spent 10 hours finishing, painting and installing the bumper.

TriGem2k 01-07-2006 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nastyboxster
I purchased the turbo bumper from them for the same price, but I wanted the original bottom lip which is urethene. Cost another $100. Check if the lip is urethene because the bumper is made from fibreglass.

You have to be really careful with it since the bumper is not flexible at all. Installation cost seems reasonable, but what about finish and paint? The body shop that I used spent 10 hours finishing, painting and installing the bumper.

What body shop did you use to paint and how much did it cost you? Also do you have any detailed pictures of your car?? How is the fiberglass holding up for you?

Any other information you have would be much much appreciated.

Thanks,
James

kcphuahs4 01-07-2006 11:26 PM

yes, some pictures will be very nice as I am also considering replacing the front bumper as well.

Perfectlap 01-10-2006 11:13 AM

As far as Fiberglass goes its an expensive price. But as far as Porsches go its a good deal. Having the guys who make stuff also paint it for you will be a good way of getting a discount.
I bought my GT3 sideskirts from PrecisionPorsche and it cost only $400 but the labor around here was cost more than the parts! $400-$650 quotes from various shops. I decided to go with the expensive guys. The fit wasn't perfect like a factory aero part but I decided to take the $400 savings and invest that in a Factory GT3 (Version 1) bumper which I picked up for $900.

You'll have to take big precautions with a fiberglass front end. No more parking on the street next to a curb in between cars. and Head in parking at all times.
I had a fiberglass rear bumper on my Miata and it was driven into twice in traffic requiring two seperate repairs. A polyurethane bumper would have been much less fragile.

TriGem2k 01-10-2006 12:14 PM

What is the factory bumper made of?

Perfectlap 01-10-2006 12:57 PM

Polyurethane. Much more expensive to produce.
I'm sure Precision Porsche is making their fiberglass molds from the factory polyurethane bumpers. Hence the cheaper prices.

TriGem2k 01-10-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Polyurethane. Much more expensive to produce.
I'm sure Precision Porsche is making their fiberglass molds from the factory polyurethane bumpers. Hence the cheaper prices.

yeah thats exactly what they do, he just has a bunch of molds of factory bumpers...

rbennett 01-10-2006 02:02 PM

I like the looks of the GT3 bumper, but I have a question.

How does the inside cowling and air ducts for the radiators work with it?

Regards

Perfectlap 01-10-2006 02:57 PM

good question I don't know about the GT3 MKII but the GT3 MKI on the 1999 GT3 is the exact same bumper used on the upgraded Boxster AeroKit II. So I guess Porsche figured out that the venting is proper for at least two radiators, otherwise I guess they wouldn't use it on the BoxsterS. There are some extra pieces for internal bracing/shock resistance that have to be ordered.