986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   clutch problem (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4691-clutch-problem.html)

ephidaboost 01-06-2006 10:33 PM

clutch problem

Hi everyone, just bought a blue '01 boxster (black interior, litronics, beige top) w 22k miles last friday, and have been loving it so far. The car is in great condition, single owner and well taken care of... but something happened on the first day of driving it that bothered me...

I had been driving the car hard all day, still getting used to the clutch (I came from an automatic, so I had to brush up on clutch action a little) and was stopped in the middle turn lane waiting for traffic about to do a u-turn. After the cars had passed, I attempted a launch but stalled out (My wheels were full left, which caused more resistance than normal on the launch). So I re- started the car, and in order to get out of the way of oncoming traffic, brought the engine up to about 2k and dropped the clutch. Well, what I WANTED was for the back tires to give me a firm chirp, swing the car around and finish the u turn. What happened was that the clutch stuck, and only came up about 25% of the way off the floor.... I stomped on it a few times trying to free it up, but it just wouldnt lift up all the way. I was able to get going about 10 mph by blipping the throttle to get out of traffic (frying the clutch the whole time...) and into the right hand lane. Once I was out of danger, I took my foot completely off the gas, put it in neutral, and just floated down the road at like 5 mph with the clutch still stuck. after about 10 seconds the clutch just popped up by itself, and started working again like normal. :confused:

My first thoughts were that it was because I dumped the clutch about a second after the car was started... or maybe Im thinking that just because subconsciously I dont want to have to spring for a new clutch only week after owning this car :( Any ideas?

blinkwatt 01-06-2006 11:26 PM

Getting used to a new clutch can be somewhat tricky. I remember my clutch doing all sorts of weird things(Never the pedal sticking though). All those non normal movements were caused by me getting used to the clutch. After I learned how the clutch reacts and got used to the bottom hinged gas pedal all those odd sounds/movements went away.

MNBoxster 01-07-2006 12:34 AM

Hi,

Sounds to me as though you may have damaged the Clutch mechanism. The Book states the possible causes of the Clutch not releasing fully to be one or more of the following:

● Leaky or Faulty Clutch Slave Cylinder or Master Cylinder

● Inadequate travel or misalignment of the Slave Cylinder Pushrod

● Faulty or bent Master Cylinder Pushrod

● Binding Clutch Disc

● Seized Pilot Bearing

Other possible causes might be:

● Worn or sticky Clutch Pedal Bushings (2)

● Worn or sticky Clutch Pedal Boost Spring Bearings (2)

● Sticking Clutch Pedal Boost Spring

A couple of things... 1st check the Hydraulic Fluid Level, next inspect the underside of the Car for leaky Hydraulic Fluid at the Front and also the Rear.

My guess, best case, your hydraulic fluid needs topping up and/or bleeding. It's the easiest and the cheapest, so check this first.

Next, I would guess you may have blown either the Master Cylinder or the Clutch Slave Cylinder (this is why I suggest looking for fluid leaks).

Next, check the Clutch Pedal and it's components (Bushings, Bearings) to make sure they are not sticking.

Beyond this, unless you are very familiar with pulling the tranny to check out the Clutch components, it's time for a Service call at the Dealer or Shop. Hope it's something simple...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

blinkwatt 01-07-2006 02:19 AM

By the Book do you mean the Bentley Service Manual?

MNBoxster 01-07-2006 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
By the Book do you mean the Bentley Service Manual?

Hi,

I have both the Factory Service Manual Set and the Bentley Manual. They compliment each other quite well. The Factory Set assumes you went to Porsche School, so in many cases it's not that informative. The Bentley Manual assumes you didn't go to Porsche School and so, in many cases, is not that informative. But combined, they do a good job of filling in each other's gaps.

A bit of an investment, but if they allow you to skip just a couple trips to the Dealer, they pay for themselves...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

ephidaboost 01-07-2006 08:00 AM

Thank you for the info, MNBoxster. I just purchased the bently manual from amazon, should be here in a week :-) ... Until then, can someone tell me where the hydraulic fluid reservoir is located? I havn't noticed any leaking so far, but I am going to let it set in the garage today and keep an eye on it.

deliriousga 01-07-2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ephidaboost
Thank you for the info, MNBoxster. I just purchased the bently manual from amazon, should be here in a week :-) ... Until then, can someone tell me where the hydraulic fluid reservoir is located? I havn't noticed any leaking so far, but I am going to let it set in the garage today and keep an eye on it.

It's the brake fluid reservoir in the front trunk. The two systems are together for filling, but separated after the reservoir.

If it stuck then later popped back up, it's more likely a mechanical problem with the disc sliding on the drive shaft. Sounds more like a bad release bearing or lack of moly grease on the disc where it slides on the drive shaft than a bubble or lost fluid. If you're losing fluid or have a bubble in the system, I've never heard of it curing itself suddenly. Lost fluid usually requires you manually pulling the pedal up to refill the cylinders to work and the bubble doesn't go away until the system is bled.

Hope you find it and it's an easy one. :cheers: