Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2006, 08:57 AM   #1

Supercharger for 2.5

A representative from Evolution Motorsports just emailed me.

I inquired about my 3.4L swap I'd like to do, and he said they no longer do them.

But, they are releasing a supercharger for the 2.5L engine in the next 30 days that is supposed to give it 3.4L power.

We shall see. Sounds a little too good to be true, but I'm still interested as my 2.5 is such a new engine.

He told me that pricing will be $6-7k installed. Much cheaper than an engine swap.

Should anyone read or see anything on this new SC from them, do post the info in this thread so all of us who own 2.5's can consider it.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 01-06-2006 at 09:28 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:24 AM   #2

Wow, can't wait for some more info... If I can put on a SC on my 2.7 for 7k and get a reliable extra ~100 hp I would be extatic.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #3

There's an ad in Excellence Magazine's February issue for a new supercharger kit that's available for all of the Boxster engines. :dance:

It didn't have pricing so I'll try to remember to post the company's name and site when I get home.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
Wow, can't wait for some more info... If I can put on a SC on my 2.7 for 7k and get a reliable extra ~100 hp I would be extatic.
I'd make sure I added a brake upgrade and replace the clutch during the engine work!
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #5

Brake upgrade... yup, that would be mandatory.

There's no way the brakes on a '97 2.5 would stop a 300+ HP engine fast enough to be safe.

I would imagine that the big red brembo package sold here and there would be the one to look at. Dang, it's expensive though. Something like $4k plus installation.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #6

They have an alliance with Imagine Auto. From what I understand Stephen (iA) and Todd at EVO are great friends. Doc may want to que in on this more.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #7

Does anyone have any updated information on the www.imagineauto.com supercharger that was discussed some time back? If this is the same set-up it does sound good. $7000 sounds like a reasonable price for the added performance gains. Especially versus an engine swap.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #8
olly986

this sounds very interesting indeed, just wondering about converting a tiptronic thought, i was always recommended not to do it on my 2.5 as the tip could not handle the extra power
Old 01-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #9

Sweet, it's FREE!!! http://imagineauto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=II&Category_Code=boxsupercharger

The one in Excellence is from ImaginAuto. It says it's available now and for the 2.5, 2.7, 3.0 & 3.2 engines. The tests on the 2.5 gave a 38% increase in RWHP. Not bad, eh?
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
Sweet, it's FREE!!! http://imagineauto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=II&Category_Code=boxsupercharger

The one in Excellence is from ImaginAuto. It says it's available now and for the 2.5, 2.7, 3.0 & 3.2 engines. The tests on the 2.5 gave a 38% increase in RWHP. Not bad, eh?

I can assure you my friend it is not free . I e-mailed this thread to them so they could chime in.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:15 AM   #11

Anyone have any questions please feel free to ask. We designed the supercharger in house and have done all the testing here in KC. The kit that EVO will be selling will be the kit developed here in house so all the numbers, stats and pictures you have seen on our kit will be the same from EVO.

The kit is going to be about 7K not installed. You can figure about a 7 hour install at the most. It is pretty straight forward. The 2.7 kit is not finished as of yet, the 3.2 and 2.5 are about completed for release. The pipes presented some issues and had to be remade to ensure that the install and reliability remained in tact.
porschephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:45 AM   #12

Sorry, haven't been on the board in the last day or so, so late reply. Like PorschePhD (Stephen Kaspar, who owns Imagine Auto), Evo motorsports will be installing the kit that we designed in house, so it will be the same deal. I can't remember what all we discussed in the last topic about the SC kit from about a month ago, but like Stephen said, the 2.5 will be 7k plus install. We still need to do a couple of dry runs to determine the exact amount of labor needed, but it will not be as extensive as our 996 kits which run about 17 hours. The 3.2 kit which we are still working on, will be about 8k plus install due to the addition of custom headers, which we are still working out. The front O2 sensor sits in the way of our SC on those cars, so we are in the process of redesigning the header system on that engine. In fact, i believe our guinea pig headers showed up yesterday for us to start cutting and modifying. The 2.5L kit picked up roughly 100 horses to the wheels at about 4psi of boost. This is determined to be a safe level of boost for us to run on the engines, and we have done extensive tuning with the program to ensure proper power, air/fuel ratios, and proper power curve. The supercharger runs at a very minimal rate when compared to what it is capable of, so the system is very under stressed. In our 996 kits, (which evo designed and built, and we sell and install), we also run 4-5psi and those kits have been bulletproof. We have cars with 50-60k miles on the kits with zero issues. This is something we are very familiar with, i have 2 996's in the shop right now that i will install superchargers in this coming week.

Like Stephen said, any questions, let em fly
Old 01-07-2006, 06:07 AM   #13

What about CARB approval? See we have a pesky thing in California called a smog inspection every 2 years and if the guy knows what he is doing and looks you flunk the visual inspection. They get out a floor mirror and flashlight.

And our smog is now done on a dyno. Even if the inspector did not look then the emissions may not match the specs and you flunk.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #14
olly986

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Sorry, haven't been on the board in the last day or so, so late reply. Like PorschePhD (Stephen Kaspar, who owns Imagine Auto), Evo motorsports will be installing the kit that we designed in house, so it will be the same deal. I can't remember what all we discussed in the last topic about the SC kit from about a month ago, but like Stephen said, the 2.5 will be 7k plus install. We still need to do a couple of dry runs to determine the exact amount of labor needed, but it will not be as extensive as our 996 kits which run about 17 hours. The 3.2 kit which we are still working on, will be about 8k plus install due to the addition of custom headers, which we are still working out. The front O2 sensor sits in the way of our SC on those cars, so we are in the process of redesigning the header system on that engine. In fact, i believe our guinea pig headers showed up yesterday for us to start cutting and modifying. The 2.5L kit picked up roughly 100 horses to the wheels at about 4psi of boost. This is determined to be a safe level of boost for us to run on the engines, and we have done extensive tuning with the program to ensure proper power, air/fuel ratios, and proper power curve. The supercharger runs at a very minimal rate when compared to what it is capable of, so the system is very under stressed. In our 996 kits, (which evo designed and built, and we sell and install), we also run 4-5psi and those kits have been bulletproof. We have cars with 50-60k miles on the kits with zero issues. This is something we are very familiar with, i have 2 996's in the shop right now that i will install superchargers in this coming week.

Like Stephen said, any questions, let em fly

hi Doc
as mentioned previously, will the tiptronic support such an excess power on the 2.5 or other models for that matter and what will the power be on the 3.2, also will someone sell it in Europe at any stage?

thanks
Old 01-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
What about CARB approval? See we have a pesky thing in California called a smog inspection every 2 years and if the guy knows what he is doing and looks you flunk the visual inspection. They get out a floor mirror and flashlight.

And our smog is now done on a dyno. Even if the inspector did not look then the emissions may not match the specs and you flunk.
CARB will come at a later date. For now it is not. As easy as the install I would simply pull the unit out. It would not pass visual if you did not and the whine of the SC is to say the least not stock sounding.

The TIP will handle the added power. We have seen no issues with the 986 or the 996 at these levels.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #16

The 3.2L power gain is yet to be seen. As soon as we get JP's car done, and get some miles on it, we will dyno it and see what kind of power gain we get. IIRC we got a 38% gain on the 2.5L, so we are hoping to stay around those kind of gains on the 3.2L. As far as people in europe selling it, that is a possibility, obviously we will have a few certified installers throughout the states other than us, and this will probably extend overseas when we get to that stage.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:44 PM   #17

PorschePhD & PorscheDoc, I live in Texas... would I have problems passing the smog test here? I know CA is far tougher than Texas, but I'd hate to spend this kind of money only to find out I can't easily pass a state inspection each year.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #18

Having a CARB number and actually having clean enough numbers are not one in the same. CARB is a mountain of paperwork, expense and testing to ensure that the state of CA is happy on all levels. Because a product is not CARB certified does not mean that if one was to go to a testing station it wouldn’t pass. From a emissions level standpoint it will pass on the idle and on the rolling (dyno) test. All readiness status checks read ok and the levels are within state passing levels. So in long the answer to your question is you would pass
Old 01-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #19

I live in auburn, alabama and would be very interested in having one of your superchargers on my 2.5L 99model. However I would be very leary of having the work done somewhere less experienced at dealing w/ a porsche. Do you guys have regional install shops?
Old 01-09-2006, 04:27 AM   #20

I can't say that we have anyone in our neck of the woods yet. We actually get a few cars from your area now for upgrade work. I do think that we can walk/instruct most competent shops through the process.