986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Noise at idle.... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/46844-noise-idle.html)

recycledsixtie 07-05-2013 08:16 AM

Noise at idle....

Took my car in (2001 Box base) to the indy garage to check out noise at idle but disappears when engine revs increased. Thinking that it might be water pump but garage says that there were several possibilities. Car has 41k miles only.
|
Garage found that the most noise was coming from drive belt tensioner which they replaced. Had them install new accessory belt while in there. Installed new expansion tank cap. They said that alternator was making some noise but not as much as from the drive belt tensioner. Overall there is less noise than before but I do hear some noise. The alternator can come later but to me must be pretty bad before I do anything about it as the estimate for that is $1414. If it comes down to it I can search out another alternator from a wrecker's yard - the latter they quote $770 for the alternator alone.

To me having this work done is a form of insurance. Checking for tension on all the accessories has eliminated the worry that I had that it might be the water pump. I was hoping it would be but it was not. Anyway feel pretty good for the work they have done and peace of mind when driving out of town means a lot. I have not eaten up the budget amount of $2k a year yet but the diyers can do it for less.

Comments from the diy guys are always welcome.......:)

VBoxster 07-05-2013 09:21 AM

The noise might just be the alternator clutch/pulley assemble. You can get one for less than $100.00 US. You will need a special socket to remove it. You can search the forum for the details. Good luck.

woodsman 07-05-2013 09:38 AM

once the alt. is out you can have it rebuilt- probably in the same day, if they know you're waiting for it: there's the windings and the bearings.

coolbreeze551 07-05-2013 11:57 AM

Jeffs Auto Glass and Electric in Edmonton will rebuild it. They're currently rebuilding mine but they're so busy right now it's probably going to take them a week to do it so she's laid up in the garage. It shouldn't cost anymore than $160 to have them rebuild it, could save you a couple benjamins to have them do it.

Also I tried purchasing a rebiult one through Napa auto and the sold me the wrong one and ended up shredding my belt and leaving me stranded so I don't recommend going that route.

Good luck

recycledsixtie 07-05-2013 02:48 PM

Thanks everybody re suggestions. Not planning on fixing until alternator gets noisier. Water pump is more critical though. It is good so far. My rms was diagnosed condensing/misting oil with the ppi two years ago. It is still fine.

I have peace of mind now as I have the 4 hour drive shortly for my yearly hiking trip
to Jasper. :)

recycledsixtie 07-06-2013 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbreeze551 (Post 350429)
Jeffs Auto Glass and Electric in Edmonton will rebuild it. They're currently rebuilding mine but they're so busy right now it's probably going to take them a week to do it so she's laid up in the garage. It shouldn't cost anymore than $160 to have them rebuild it, could save you a couple benjamins to have them do it.

Also I tried purchasing a rebiult one through Napa auto and the sold me the wrong one and ended up shredding my belt and leaving me stranded so I don't recommend going that route.

Good luck

Hi Coolbreeze - I have sent you a pm.