986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   2003/ 2005 Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/46823-2003-2005-boxster.html)

Elixir1305 07-04-2013 09:30 PM

2003/ 2005 Boxster

Hi Guys,

Hey guys,

I am considering buying a used Boxster and need your input to help with my dilemma.

I currently have a BMW 335xi on lease that I need to return in a few weeks. I am a regular user - 8-9000 miles/yr and don't drive like a madman but do like the occasional rev from a traffic light etc. I live just north of NYC and roads are fairly well kept in the winter.

I am planning to buy a used Boxster as my primary car once I return my leases car. I was thinking of a 2003 to 2005 car with 50-70k miles for a year. It is the only ones that are coming in my budget of 14-16K (wife going back to school so finances are kind of tight now), AND THIS IS THE TIME FOR MY FIRST PORSCHE !!

1. how reliable is a 2003 to 2005 boxster with 50-70K miles or so ? Don't want to spend my time in the workshop every week.
2. What are the things I should ask the seller/ look into when I buy the car? Potential problems?
3. I am considering a roadster? How crazy is that to be your primary vehicle in the snow of ny? My building has a covered garage but at work it will be open parking.
4. MOST IMPORTANTLY - Should I buy a 2003 with 50K miles or 2005(cosmetic changes with a diff engine) with 90K miles ??

I know some of these questions may be redundant in this forum but any help would be appreciated !!!

More 07-04-2013 11:26 PM

Here are a few tips from me that I wish I had put into practice instead of losing control to pure excitement and driving off with the car as fast as I could instead of asking some very basic questions that could have saved me $$$ further down the line.

Check the rotors and brake pads on the car if there about to go drop the price same thing with the tires.

Check service history find out what's been broken and fixed.

And the most popular thing you can do is pay a mechanic to pre examine the car for you before you buy.

Watch this video for a few more tips.

Porsche boxter fifth gear - YouTube

And good luck.

BDBoxster 07-05-2013 02:26 AM

1. Can't go wrong with either but 2005 is a real upgrade and the looks from all angles are classic.
2. Research the VIN until your sick.
3. Be anal about who does your PPI.
4. Mine is my DD and I take it into Manhattan often.
5. Locate a great Porsche mechanic. Your not far from me (Bergen County) and I could rec'd one to you that is worth going to.
6. CPO is nice insurance if you plan on keeping it for a while.
7. I have run into a couple of guy's that have 165k and 220k on their 2005's.

Good luck!

recycledsixtie 07-05-2013 05:12 AM

I will answer the questions that have not been addressed.

Winter driver? Yes and no. I drive my Boxster in winter but only if there is max 3 inches of fresh snow. You have about 5 inches of clearance so you don't want to be dragging the underside in snow. So if the snow is too deep I take my wife's Camry.
If you drive in winter you must have snow tires(easiest on a separate set of rims).
Never been stuck in snow in winter yet.

Get receipts for work done. Plan on spending average about $1500-2000/year if you get the work done or less if you do it yourself. Yes I agree CPO is great and if Porsche dealer can give you an extended warranty great. I don't believe in paying for extended warranty though. I prefer buying privately because that individual is easier to negotiate with and they should have proof of servicing.

Don't buy a lemon. Yes a PPI is a must and use any weaknesses to bring asking price down further(believe me you will need the $$$$ later!).

Don't fall in love with the first one you see. Before you start the motor, turn the ignition on and make sure all warning lites come on particularly the CEL lite! Crooks may disconnect the CEL bulb to disguise a failing motor.

How are the tires?
Does the convert. top go up and down?
Any weird noises coming from the engine?
Air cond. works?
Elect. windows go up and down okay?
You cannot run a Boxster for the same cost of a Miata but then the Boxster is way more car. If you get a good one it can be great, a lemon will be a PITA! Enjoy the ride....:)

kjc2050 07-05-2013 05:30 AM

OK, I'll offer a contrarian view: if your wife is going back to school and money is tight, don't buy a Porsche. The sensible thing to do is to buy something reliable, and when your bride is out of school and employed, then get your first Porsche. Owners on this forum regularly report spending $1K to $2K every year on maintenance (that has not been my experience, BTW), and there is always the small chance of something (IMSB) blowing up and putting a major dent in your wallet.

I love my Boxster, and it's been wonderful. But I'm at a point in my life where if the engine were to blow up tomorrow, I'd be sorely disappointed, but I could afford to buy a replacement engine and not lose sleep over it.

Just my $ .02

Ian c 07-05-2013 05:32 AM

One thing I will mention since people have talked of cpo ....
The porsche certified pre-owned warranty can be transferred , but only if you buy from a porsche dealer or a private party .
Any of the other dealer cars advertised with cpo are a fraud , either intentially or through ignorance .

Elixir1305 07-05-2013 05:53 AM

Thanks Guys, This is very very useful.

- BD Boxster - could you please recommend a mechanic shop near by.
- What would be a reasonable price for a 2003 with 70K or 2005 with 90K miles - both Pvt party and Dealer.KBB always quotes high so not sure.
- Apart from carfax what are other ways to research the VIN ?
- Is there a schedule of landmark maintenance's - like 30K mark, 60K mark etc. I know on my BMW - brake pads needs replacement around 50K, the tires are good for 25-30K on an avg etc.
I have not found a good list of landmark maintenance schedule yet.
- I have often been quoted, that porsche is overall more reliable than other german cars and also costs less to maintain. Is that the general consensus?

Thanks guys. I am hoping to buy within a week and cannot wait.

southernstar 07-05-2013 12:01 PM

Elixir, have you read the thread 'Thinking of Buying a Boxster' with a sticky at the top of General Discussions? If not, you should. Are Porsche's more reliable than other German cars? Not in my experience (and I have owned BMW's. VW's, Porsches and Audis).

Some of the parts you may have to replace include:

1. AOS (air oil separator); the part isn't particularly expensive - about $90 - 120. depending upon the year, although it is a bit of a labour headache as access is difficult to the lower hose.

2. MAF sensor - especially if the AOS goes, it will probably foul with oil.

3. Coolant expansion tank - about $300. and again, a bit of a labour nightmare (read scraped knuckle).

4. Ignition switch - fortunately you can get the Audi part for between $16.00 and $35.00 but again, a labour nightmare (unless you are patient, have a good back, small hands and a large screw driver you have cut down in size). A good shop shouldn't charge more than 1.5 hours labour, however.

5. Waterpumps - although some have gone over 200,000 miles. There are different theories on why some fail earlier than others, but if it needs replacement be sure to get an original Porsche part (about $300.00 at Suncoast).

6. Various microswitches - fortunately cheap and relatively easy to replace the ones for the top (except the top motor) and the doors.

7. Suspension arms - typically not required until 80 to 100,000 miles.

8. The dreaded IMS (intermediate shaft ) bearing.

You will be buying a car that is between 9 and 11 years old (they are already producing the 2014's) so you have to expect some issues. Service records are very important - try to find a car that has had oil changes more frequently than the factory recommendations (say, very 5,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first). And do get a PPI from a trustworthy local Porsche mechanic.

Good luck!

Brad

BDBoxster 07-05-2013 07:13 PM

I sent you a PM earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elixir1305 (Post 350375)
Thanks Guys, This is very very useful.

- BD Boxster - could you please recommend a mechanic shop near by.
- What would be a reasonable price for a 2003 with 70K or 2005 with 90K miles - both Pvt party and Dealer.KBB always quotes high so not sure.
- Apart from carfax what are other ways to research the VIN ?
- Is there a schedule of landmark maintenance's - like 30K mark, 60K mark etc. I know on my BMW - brake pads needs replacement around 50K, the tires are good for 25-30K on an avg etc. g
I have not found a good list of landmark maintenance schedule yet.
- I have often been quoted, that porsche is overall more reliable than other german cars and also costs less to maintain. Is that the general consensus?

Thanks guys. I am hoping to buy within a week and cannot wait.