Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #21

They sure are a beautiful car though arent they andy !!!
They had the perfect S interior at my local dealers a month ago ..
Full leather and sports seats in a white and light grey combo that matched the carpets etc.

I could see it ruined in weeks with me , but it sure looked pretty in them light colours

Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
Carnut

The one I drove was black over orange full leather incl dash and doors, very nice! A combo of today's interior with our "old" rawness would be nice, plus a bit more power.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:47 AM   #23
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Don't make me drive down to Dallas to prove my point !
LOL

You DO realize that's it a 3400 mile round trip from MA to TX, right? That's like what..............three years mileage?

But hey, if you ever do come down, we could always caravan over to Motorsports Ranch or Eagle Canyon for a track day and rub door handles!

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
Nice machine

This is my daily , but the 986 has been used for most of this week ... Simply too much fun with the wind in my (non-existent) hair !!!

Love the wheels !
Old 07-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Love the wheels !

Thanks
I hope you'll like the boxster once that's finished (2weeks or so)
Old 07-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
Thanks
I hope you'll like the boxster once that's finished (2weeks or so)
What do you have going on ?
Old 07-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #27

I just bid on this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2012-Ferrari-458-Italia-Spider-Carbon-Fiber-Daytona-Seats-Alcantara-Options-/171069025839?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27d4822e2f

Darn it! Outbid!
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #28

Quote:
What do you have going on ?

Nothing too serious , just a quick tidy-up and makeover
The wheels will look very cool IMHO
All will be revealed in a week or two ......
Old 07-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Although I have a profound respect and appreciation for the new 981, the price places it in a category whereby my interests are assuaged by other vehicles. Have I mentioned 360 Modena before ?
A 360 is in my 3 year plan. They were the most reliable Ferrari built and despite conventional thoughts on exuberant maintenance costs, plenty of owners insist this just isn’t true. A 360 needs fluids and tires. The belt service every 5 years will set you back, however this is still cheaper than an IMS failure. The 360 is near the bottom of depreciation. In fact the CS version is appreciating in value. A new 981 is going to take a huge dive of 25% value over the first three years. This puts the 360 at a much lower cost of ownership in all actuality. What put me over the top on this desire was reading the accounts of owners of both. “The Porsche twin turbo is much faster in a straight line, not much will beat it. But the 360 screams out of a corner, there is no turbo lag. The Porsche is more utilitarian. It does its job, and very well. But every time I get in the 360 I think to myself holy ****************, I am in a Ferrari! Nothing compares to the sound of the Ferrari.”
jesseborgelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #30
Forum Contributor

Everything you said about the Ferrari may be true but the regular wear parts will make the Porsche seem like a bargain. There will be far less indy mechanics that will even touch it and most importantly, IDK if it has any appreciable trunk room for a trip.
ghostrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #31

I just put a deposit down on a new 981 Cayman S. I sold my 986S the other day. It was a hard decision tho. Like others I was looking at 360's, Gallardos and at that point slightly more for used early model v8 R8s. The wife put the stop on the whole audi thing and I don't think I could convince her on maintainence costs on the Ferrari or Lambo.

Yes the 360 is cheaper but it is still Ferrari and still has $$ for maint. If you can save that money up and not lose it in depreciation then more power to you. A car that old will still have wear and tear beyond just tires and fluids and if you do professional service will still be paying ferrari rates for work done or close to it at an Indi shop. Lambos need their clutch every 15-20k miles I heard and that is not cheap either. My main factor was the wife who after my falling in love with the R8 decided to tone back my spending allowance. Heheh that car would have been cheaper to maintain than the Italians and handled great.

I was also looking at lotus (too raw) and 911 S or GTS. I drove a GTS but couldn't get over the feeling of the weight in the rear and it feeling as if it would oversteer at every second compared to the boxster. In the end I decided new with warranty and mid engine spec'd exactly how I wanted would win over a used 911. This way I get a perfectly clean car, no history, full warranty, how I want it and all the new tech goodies. Flip side...steering is worse...but I'll live with It.

My two cents... If you tell me a 360 is really that cheap to own I'd love to see where...I probably lost my deposit now if I change but I'm gonna feel bad if I didn't do my homework right...
Heh

Last edited by mcomet; 07-04-2013 at 10:42 AM.
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomet View Post
I just put a deposit down on a new 981 Cayman S. I sold my 986S the other day. It was a hard decision tho. Like others I was looking at 360's, Gallardos and at that point slightly more for used early model v8 R8s. The wife put the stop on the whole audi thing and I don't think I could convince her on maintainence costs on the Ferrari or Lambo.

Yes the 360 is cheaper but it is still Ferrari and still has $$ for maint. If you can save that money up and not lose it in depreciation then more power to you. A car that old will still have wear and tear beyond just tires and fluids and if you do professional service will still be paying ferrari rates for work done or close to it at an Indi shop. Lambos need their clutch every 15-20k miles I heard and that is not cheap either. My main factor was the wife who after my falling in love with the R8 decided to tone back my spending allowance. Heheh that car would have been cheaper to maintain than the Italians and handled great.

I was also looking at lotus (too raw) and 911 S or GTS. I drove a GTS but couldn't get over the feeling of the weight in the rear and it feeling as if it would oversteer at every second compared to the boxster. In the end I decided new with warranty and mid engine spec'd exactly how I wanted would win over a used 911. This way I get a perfectly clean car, no history, full warranty, how I want it and all the new tech goodies. Flip side...steering is worse...but I'll live with It.

My two cents... If you tell me a 360 is really that cheap to own I'd love to see where...I probably lost my deposit now if I change but I'm gonna feel bad if I didn't do my homework right...
Heh
There's a member on the forum, PhilnotHill, who owns a later model 360 Spider. I had occasion to pick his brain on the issue of maintenance. Age and wear and tear parts aside, the maintenance didn't sound like it was all that crazy. Basically, annual oil and fluid changes, with a belt service every 3 years or 15k miles. According to him, a belt service can be done for around 2k. I also spend quite a bit of time lurking around the FChat site, and I've picked up a fair amount of knowledge there with respect to ownership costs as well. However, as it's been discussed during this thread, the average 360 is getting along in years, and my concern at this point is the cost of maintenance and replacement parts above beyond routine upkeep. In addition, there's always the concern that something major could go wrong, in which case a person would have to take out a second mortgage to pay for it.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 07-04-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #33
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomet View Post

Heh
Gallardo? Are you serious?

No Cayman would interest me over that car. Of course the Gallardo would never be a daily driver like the Cayman would be.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Gallardo? Are you serious?

No Cayman would interest me over that car. Of course the Gallardo would never be a daily driver like the Cayman would be.
Actually, if you do some research and spend sometime on the Lamborghini forums, you'd discover that the maintenance and reliability of a Lambo in many cases is in a completely different category than a Ferrari. Many describe it as having the reliability of an Audi. No surprise there since Audi owns Lamborghini. However, according to a friend who's the technical director for Lamborghini North America, it's best to get a Gallardo that's an '06 and up.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #35
Need For Speed

Garage
Yeah, I don't visit Lamborghini forums. The Gallardo and Cayman are not in the same class in my book.

Probably a good thing his wife said no on the Gallardo, he'd be divorced soon after the purchase.

Last edited by KRAM36; 07-04-2013 at 08:04 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #36

Heh I agree with you all. I would clearly take a lambo or Ferrari if I could. It's just every time I have looked into it major services are like $8000 or more. I just can't justify that in the long term. And like to put a decent mileage on my cars and actually drive them, which would mean more frequent service. Maybe I'm wrong but whenever I've seen actual true scans of people's services on these cars it makes Porsche service seem cheap.

mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote