Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 11:58 AM   #1

Reupholstry charges

A local shop is quoting me 600 bucks for each seat to do it in genuine leather, 250 a seat to do it in a really good leather look alike type of product that holds up better in direct sunlight. I think I want real leather though... which will be good for resale value as well.

Has anyone had their leather seats redone? If so, how much was it for both?

Be sure to indicate if it was a full or partial leather redo.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
bmussatti

Randall, can he do the seats 50:50?? In other words, real leather on the seating surface, and the look-alike on the back portion? Maybe this could save you some money.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Randall, can he do the seats 50:50?? In other words, real leather on the seating surface, and the look-alike on the back portion? Maybe this could save you some money.
Yes, nice idea. I think the original seats in the Box are built that way unless you paid for the full leather option.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:04 PM   #4

I think the difference between getting real leather vs. synthetic/more-durable leather in terms of resale shouldn't be a significant factor, especially on a '97. Therefor the fake leather would be a smarter decision. I should look into that for my car. My driver's seat needs it.

But if you're heart tells you to get real leather and that's what you want, in the subtle wise words of Napoleon Dynamite to Pedro, "Go for it." What what about the wheels you desire? Don't you think those should come first?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:43 PM   #5

Hi,

The Leather Seats in your Boxster are really only Leather Seat Covers. The greatest cost for recovering from a Local Source will be for the Hides and for the Labor to stitch together a new set of Covers (cut to a pattern) which are then slipped onto the seat, adjusted and Hog-Ringed in place.

There are a variety of sources for these covers which should be very competitive against a local source since they buy the Leather in Bulk and repeatedly cut to the same pattern, sometimes machine-cut.

If you have any accumen at all, it would be very easy to buy these covers and install them yourself, saving you a bundle!

I have done this numerous times and never found it very difficult at all. The toughest candidates would be true Bucket Seats (which I have done and they took lots of time and patience to get right), but the Boxster seats are 2-piece, making the job really very simple.

Check out these sources for ready-made Leather Covers : www.autosintl.com and www.iggee.com Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:45 PM   #6

i had my driver seat side bolster done for $250. Synthetic leather. The shop quoted me $550 for the whole seat.
fefyfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:44 PM   #7

I should have asked this before, but what is it that makes you want to recover, rips tears etc.?

Old 12-29-2005, 04:13 PM   #8
olly986

i am very surprise to hear that seats on a 2000 boxster are that bad that they need recovering, my 97 seats were in very good condition when i sold the car on, saw some very poor half leather/material on a 2002 alright but i would never use partially leather/material seats personally, if you get a boxster the minimum extras would be leather seats and 17" wheels, the seats on my 2000 S are in very good condition and just need looking after every so often with a good leather conditioning leather product
Old 12-29-2005, 05:25 PM   #9

the side bolster were cracking so stupid me, I bought the leather repair kit. Almost impossible to match the leather on anything other than "BLACK." They did a super job. Correct me if Im wrong but i doubt most boxster seats are full leather. Im thinking the side bolster were synthetic b/c of the wear it gets from coming in and out.
fefyfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I should have asked this before, but what is it that makes you want to recover, rips tears etc.?
The driver's outside bolster piece is completely worn through. Someone must have vomited on the passenger seat before I bought the car because the leather is as stiff as cardboard. On both seats, on the top of the headrest on both the front and back of the seats, it looks like someone poured a little acid on the leather or something because it's also as hard as cardboard and has a distinct line where the fluid stopped.

[Now before any of you leatherique fanatics start telling me all this can be eliminated, don't bother posting it... I paid $80 for leatherique products (the whole line up) and treated the seats thoroughly and it did nothing to soften the leather]

Both seats need recovering. Period. I'm just trying to figure out how much I should save up to do this and how much any of you paid to have a seat recovered and what you chose... good synthetic or real leather.

BTW, rims are also on the list!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:25 AM   #11

That sounds bad.

I was going to suggest a good leather shop might be able to help you short of replacement. However, this sounds out of the question.

Let us know how this turns out.

How about some before and after pix?

Old 12-30-2005, 07:42 AM   #12

You know what, I will indeed take before and after pix for the forum.

I've also toyed with good used seats. They can be had for about $1000, and for a couple hundred more, I could get heated seats. Not needed most of the time in Houston, but it would extend top-down driving a number of weeks into winter.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:26 PM   #13

Randall, try www.leatherseats.com . I bought a set of seat covers for a nissan maxima from them and they were top quality. Very reasonable for "full leather". I checked there site and didnt see a set for the boxster but they can make anything you request. They also have an installation kit. The seats seem pretty simple to install on our cars so it may be worth the effort. If your going to be needing new padding an upholsterer will likely be needed. Good luck w/ your new project. I will be happy to see you get all of your cosmetics done so you can start that engine transplant project.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:47 PM   #14

try wetokole.com they have nice wetsuit covers that look pretty nice in gray with piping. Looks very factory, a good choice for you warm weather guys. $250 a pair.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #15
olly986

I am looking to buy a suite of furniture in leather at present and considering the cost of second hand seats, it looks pretty cheap in comparison and you get proper newer OEM parts
Old 01-05-2006, 07:57 AM   #16

OK, I got a quote from www.leatherseats.com.

Two black leather and vinyl replacement seat covers that I would install myself by removing my seats, removing the old leather/vinyl and putting theirs on with new hog rings is....

drumroll, please...

$639.00 including shipping. Perforated leather inserts in the base and back to match factory looks was $35 more, btw.

I have yet to decide what to do. I'll let you know what I decide. This looks like the best way to go though.

Hey, there was an Ebay seller selling new leather seats for the boxster. Anyone seen his auctions? If so, please post a link here. Thanks!

Pictured below is a sample of what www.leatherseats.com did for a Carrera owner. He said he had no control over the guy's color choices. It's obvious the only taste this Porsche owner has is in his mouth.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 01-05-2006 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:09 PM   #17
olly986

it doesn't look that easy to fit, how do you get the cover to sit in place? do they use velcro or something at the back? you can't stitch it in place or can you?

questions,questions!