Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #1

Car bras.

Has anybody have a comment on using a Carbra on q Boxster? I have had one on my IS300 Lexus and it has saved a lot of stone damage but I wonder with the Box. having such long sloping bonnet whether it will be little more than bumper protection. Also is it possible to get it to fit really snugly?
Happy New Year from " Down Under"

Last edited by rkwei; 01-04-2006 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Search-friendly spelling
insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
bmussatti

Maybe you should look into the clear film paint protectors instead. There is a lot of good info here in the forum. Just do a search.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:20 PM   #3

Hi,

I don't like the Clear Bras, they have issues which cannot be resolved. Instead, I use the OEM Bra and Mirror Bras whenever I am taking a Trip or going to the Backroads. My car is not a daily driver, so the 10 min. or so to install/remove the Bra is no big deal. I do not leave it on to prevent a Fade line and do not ever leave the Car outside overnight.

The Bra works very well, but eventually any Car will need some cosmetic attention regardless of what you use. The truth is, some Stone Chip repair is inherent in any low, sloped hood Sports Car. I regularly Touch-up my Lotus Esprit and do a respray every 5-8 years depending upon how much it is needed - just the cost of doing business...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #4

What issues do you have with clear bras? I'm pretty happy with mine and from what I understand they don't damage the paint. If you know something I don't, now's the time to tell me while the car is young.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
What issues do you have with clear bras? I'm pretty happy with mine and from what I understand they don't damage the paint. If you know something I don't, now's the time to tell me while the car is young.
Hi,

A lot of people like them, but there are a variety of issues with them. The Lotus Esprit crowd experimented with them several years ago and here's the general concensus:

a.) They are NOT invisible

b.) As they age, a Dirt Line appears, making them even more visible, especially on light colored cars.

c.) They scratch easily when washing/waxing/claying and look old before their time.

d.) They offer some UV protection and so the paint underneath will fade at a lesser rate than the non-protected paint, making it noticable over time.

e.) They offer some protection, but for larger impacts, they merely hold the paint chip in place - remove the Mask and the paint comes away with it requiring a respray when this is exactly what one spent $$$ to avoid. A conventional Bra offers much greater impact protection.

f.) A friend who had it on his Countach had a pin hole penetrate the Mask unoticed and he got some corrosion because of the water it trapped underneath.

g.) Inevitably, use a Clear Mask, and you get chips just above it, so you're Touching Up anyway.

I guess in sum, they offer some protection, but at a price which is out of proportion to what you get. If you're keeping the Car for 2 years, maybe worthwhile for preserving the Resale, but keep it any longer and the Mask becomes more a burden than a blessing. As always, just my humble $0.02...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-03-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #6

Don't forget the yellow stains from bugs that seem to never go away......
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:39 AM   #7

As you can see from the picture above, I use the conventional bra or mask as well.
I have been very satisfied with it in terms of protecting the paint, etc.

The only issue I have is that if you drive the car in the wet (seldom, in my case) you have to take the bra off and dry the car and the inside of the bra before replacing it. According to the instructions packed with the bra, allowing water to dry underneath the bra can cause dulling of the paint.

Another point is that little bits of road grit can lodge in the edge of the bra where it crosses the hood, and also in the fabric on the underside. Whenever I remove the bra I vacuum the inside to get this stuff out.

I'm not a big fan of the clear bras for the reasons mentioned by mnboxster, plus I have been told by an installer that the clear bras yellow over time and must be replaced.

I think the total cost of the bra and the two mirror muffs from a Porsche dealer was about $150, which I think is a lot less that having the clear film put on.

On the other hand, if you are going to track (driver's ed, autocrosses, etc.) you may have no choice but to use a clear bra, as PCA for example will not let you run with a conventional bra on the car.

Last edited by Ronzi; 01-04-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
As you can see from the picture above, I use the conventional bra or mask as well.
I have been very satisfied with it in terms of protecting the paint, etc.

The only issue I have is that if you drive the car in the wet (seldom, in my case) you have to take the bra off and dry the car and the inside of the bra before replacing it. According to the instructions packed with the bra, allowing water to dry underneath the bra can cause dulling of the paint.

Another point is that little bits of road grit can lodge in the edge of the bra where it crosses the hood, and also in the fabric on the underside. Whenever I remove the bra I vacuum the inside to get this stuff out.

I'm not a big fan of the clear bras for the reasons mentioned by mnboxster, plus I have been told by an installer that the clear bras yellow over time and must be replaced.

I think the total cost of the bra and the two mirror muffs from a Porsche dealer was about $150, which I think is a lot less that having the clear film put on.

On the other hand, if you are going to track (driver's ed, autocrosses, etc.) you may have no choice but to use a clear bra, as PCA for example will not let you run with a conventional bra on the car.
Hi,

I agree with what you say. Unfortunately, there is no solution to the Water issue. Also, even though the OEM Bra is Felt lined, it is mildly abrasive and over time, if left on, will leave a fine line. This can be avoided by putting a good layer of Wax on the Hood so the Wax, not the Paint takes the abuse.

I quite like the look of the Bra on the Car, though admit this is a matter of personal preference.

So far as Tracking the Car, if you're not Racing (such as Timed Runs, Auto-X, etc.) , there's no Traffic ahead of you anyway making the issue with Chips somewhat Moot. Add to that that anytime you Track a Car, you invariably are subjecting it to extreme use and there is always a consequence to this.

Touching Up Stone Chips isn't really that hard and you can make the repairs invisible withh a little Practice. I Touched-Up over 20 small chips on my Boxster this Spring and at a show had several people say that they couldn't believe the original condition of the paint, that there were no chips whatever, one even asked if it was an '04 or '05 - he couldn't believe it when I said it was a '99... if they only knew...

Old 01-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
a.) They are NOT invisible

b.) As they age, a Dirt Line appears, making them even more visible, especially on light colored cars.

c.) They scratch easily when washing/waxing/claying and look old before their time.

d.) They offer some UV protection and so the paint underneath will fade at a lesser rate than the non-protected paint, making it noticable over time.

e.) They offer some protection, but for larger impacts, they merely hold the paint chip in place - remove the Mask and the paint comes away with it requiring a respray when this is exactly what one spent $$$ to avoid. A conventional Bra offers much greater impact protection.

f.) A friend who had it on his Countach had a pin hole penetrate the Mask unoticed and he got some corrosion because of the water it trapped underneath.

g.) Inevitably, use a Clear Mask, and you get chips just above it, so you're Touching Up anyway.

I guess in sum, they offer some protection, but at a price which is out of proportion to what you get. If you're keeping the Car for 2 years, maybe worthwhile for preserving the Resale, but keep it any longer and the Mask becomes more a burden than a blessing. As always, just my humble $0.02...

Good points! I know it's not "invisible" but it looks better than a regular bra. Th e bit about the dirt line is definitely true on light cars, but on my seal grey, no problems and the dirt line can be erased with a little work, supposedly.

I've never seen paint touch-ups that really satisfied me and wow, I get a lot of rock chips apparently--my other car is covered on the front. Resprays never adhere as well and so you end up with more rock chips than before and then you end up on an expensive schedule of respraying the car all the time.

I'm trying to protect the original paint on the car as much as I can, so disregarding the cost, I went with the clear bra. Since this is my daily driver getting over ten thousand miles a year, the cost-benefit thing doesn't end up seeming as ludicrous as it might for someone that owns a multitude of vehicles.

The UV issue is the one that freaks me out the most. SUPPOSEDLY it's not going to do that... but we'll see. In any case, it's certainly going to be less of a difference than if one were to leave a regular bra on a car year-round!

Oh, and tqtran, maybe it's the version you've experienced, but on my car, the yellow stains disappear very fast. That had me worried the first time I saw it happen, but when I looked later, the stains were gone.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #10

Carbras

Thanks folks for your comments. Clear is not available here so not an issue , however, RONZI is the fit across the bonnet (hood?) close and tight ,no "uplift" excuse the pun, at speed?
The price here for a vinyl soft lined Bra is AUD$407 (USD 300), think I should get one of those $150 jobs!
Cheers
Old 01-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #11

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by insatiable
Has anybody have a comment on using a Carbra on q Boxster? I have had one on my IS300 Lexus and it has saved a lot of stone damage but I wonder with the Box. having such long sloping bonnet whether it will be little more than bumper protection. Also is it possible to get it to fit really snugly?
Happy New Year from " Down Under"

Check this site there is a strong warranty with this company, I'm using it on my 2002 boxster no problems so far.
I had the bra installed on the bumper, hood, over the fenders, and mirrors. Paid 500 + tax. It was better to find an installer and have him do the work, than ordering the material and do it my self.
Good luck, here is the site.

http://www.autopaintguard.com/kit_search.asp?prevyear=2002&prevmake=33&prevmodel=588&prevsubmodel=0&prevseries=0&year=2002&make=33&model=588&submodel=1984
boxtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:41 AM   #12

Insatiable, the bra is two pieces. A big one that covers the front and the fenders to just behind the headlights, and a smaller one that slips over the hood. It has a couple of bungee cord tensioners that seem to keep it stretched over the hood very well.
I pulled the invoices for the bra and the mirror muffs. The bra was $149.50 from a local Porsche dealer, and the mirror covers $19.95 for the pair mail-order from another dealer. Both are Porsche-logo items.
If I had to pay over $400 for the bra, I believe I would have to think hard about doing so.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtex
Check this site there is a strong warranty with this company, I'm using it on my 2002 boxster no problems so far.
I had the bra installed on the bumper, hood, over the fenders, and mirrors. Paid 500 + tax. It was better to find an installer and have him do the work, than ordering the material and do it my self.
Good luck, here is the site.

http://www.autopaintguard.com/kit_search.asp?prevyear=2002&prevmake=33&prevmodel=588&prevsubmodel=0&prevseries=0&year=2002&make=33&model=588&submodel=1984

Tks. for this info .I checked the site looks a good product but I'm not aware of it in Oz. however will contact 3M here.
Howlong have you had it and what colour is your vehicle ,is the edge noticeable?
Cheers
Old 01-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
olly986

sorry but i really do not like the look of these yokes, maybe it helps for protection but really is buck ugly, i though Ronzi you were a new superhero and your car was your sidekick
Old 01-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by insatiable
Tks. for this info .I checked the site looks a good product but I'm not aware of it in Oz. however will contact 3M here.
Howlong have you had it and what colour is your vehicle ,is the edge noticeable?
Cheers
things to keep in mind about the 3M product is that is more cloudy and less stronger than the product I suggested, try to pierce through with a screw driver and you see that you have to really push hard that screw driver my .002 cents
boxtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #16

Well, olly986, at least my car's not Silver.

One other thing.
A few years ago I had a 911 Targa. I got caught in a windstorm (no rain, just high wind) which totally sandblasted the front end of the car, windshield, mirror housings, etc. Fortunately my insurance co. paid to repaint 2/3 of the car, I picked up the back-end 1/3. The total bill from the body shop was a little over $9,100.
I do not want that to happen again.

Last edited by Ronzi; 01-06-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #17
olly986

hey Ronzi
my car isn't silver either!
just slagging, loves the mountain tops behind
Old 01-30-2006, 12:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
The UV issue is the one that freaks me out the most. SUPPOSEDLY it's not going to do that... but we'll see. In any case, it's certainly going to be less of a difference than if one were to leave a regular bra on a car year-round!
I wouldn't worry too much about the UV issue - at least from a yellowing of the material. They've made great strides in UV stabilizing plastics. I have a clear bra on my 99 and it still looks great.

I'd have to agree with all of the other points - I think it's just a matter of taste. I do have a conventional car bra as well which I've used on longer trips.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:12 AM   #19

Does anyone know of a painted on clear bra?

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:43 AM   #20

That would be difficult to install without cracking the "clear bra paint" and cutting the clear bra with a razor blade.
Also to answer your question, no painted clear bra available. That would be a bad idea because you would have to match the clear bra paint with the car paint without looking like the car had a bad paint job.

tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote