Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #1

Mercedes SLR McLaren

Off Topic but...My wife called me this afternoon and asked "What is a Mercedes SLR?". My first response was why??? She said "There is one driving next to me on San Jose and I was just wondering what it was". My second response was "PLEASE DON'T HIT IT!!!".

We have a black Carrera GT in the area and I guess now we have another $500,000 toy in the hood! The guy with the GT drives it to work and uses it as a daily driver! I see him about once a week or so on one of the most congested / construction ridden roads in town!!!

What a different world...

sdkkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #2

Simply, its a super car!

Go to video.google.com and type "Top Gear" and watch the awesome video on this car!

Regards

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
bmussatti

I saw one in the Fall of 2004 when staying in Beverly Hills at the Peninsula Hotel. It took me 2 days to finally figure out what it was. I had to ask the Doorman!

The Indiana Pacers gave one to Reggie Miller last year when he retired. Guess he had just about everything else!
Old 01-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
The Indiana Pacers gave one to Reggie Miller last year when he retired.
bmussatti, are you fixated on sports?????

Old 01-03-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbennett
bmussatti, are you fixated on sports?????

No, but you see that final first-half play by Penn State? And UConn went down tonight by Marquette!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
No, but you see that final first-half play by Penn State? And UConn went down tonight by Marquette!!!
No, didn't see that, but them damm Houston Texans?? (WTF) there q'back starred at Fresno State??

Sorry, NFL

Regards

Old 01-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #7

Talking

yawn... I bought a SLR earlier this week.. Looks good parked next to my Lambo and F430 Ferrari.

I love PGR on the 360!!
jameskk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbennett
No, didn't see that, but them damm Houston Texans?? (WTF) there q'back starred at Fresno State??

Sorry, NFL
I live in Houston and it's a total embarassment. I've heard of people who have removed their Texan logos off the backs of their pickups, gave their hat and game-day jersey to a kid down the street, etc.

We're gonna try it again next year with a new coach and a first round draft pick. Maybe then I can become a fan of my home team. I won't hold my breath.

[just to insure this thread isn't completely hijacked, I must say that the Texans are not too different from the McClaren, especially in the area of auto depreciation ... the owner has dumped a ton of money into the team (and Houston into a new football stadium to attract an NFL team) and it's not been a very good investment, but rather a money-pit!]
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:46 AM   #9

We had an SLR in our local dealer over the summer. Someone ordered it and then backed out when they found out that they could not title it in MO because there is a law against side pipes exhaust or something. I didn’t get all the details. My buddy with an AMG got his sales person to let him go over the car with a fine tooth comb checking everything out. He talked about it for weeks. The thing he mentioned that I remember most is how light the doors felt when he opened them.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:49 AM   #10

Trump picked one up for his 59th Birthday at Manhattan Merc.

I saw one of the first stateside deliveries back in April. Ray Catena Porsche/Merc/Aston Martin/Maserati took three of the first five. Jay Leno got the first of U.S. SLR's.

I think its ugly. Looks more like the Batmobile than a fine exotic.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #11

Hijacked thread? Hell this is awesome...Just like one of my normal conversations!!! 23 different directions all at the same time!!! The people I work with got me a button that says "Ask me about my ADHD"

My biggest fear was that Debbie would sideswipe it because she has a habit of turning where she looks. I hope it looks better in person than what it does in the pictures because I don't like the looks at all. Our local Porsche dealer (Brumos) has sold 11 or 12 of the Carrera GT's and I think it is one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen. They had 3 of them there one Saturday while I was there.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkkv
Hijacked thread? Hell this is awesome...Just like one of my normal conversations!!! 23 different directions all at the same time!!! The people I work with got me a button that says "Ask me about my ADHD"

My biggest fear was that Debbie would sideswipe it because she has a habit of turning where she looks. I hope it looks better in person than what it does in the pictures because I don't like the looks at all. Our local Porsche dealer (Brumos) has sold 11 or 12 of the Carrera GT's and I think it is one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen. They had 3 of them there one Saturday while I was there.

Brumos rocks!! I bought my 06 Boxster S from them and they had 3 of them while I was there.
jameskk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #13

I've driven the SLR and I can tell you it is unbelievable. AMG55 cars are fast, but the SLR is amazing.

The sounds, the feel, the extensive use of carbon fiber, and the power makes anything else I've driven pretty boring in comparision.... untill I find someone willing to let me drive their Bugatti Veyron!

Bill
Bill986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #14

I've driven the SL55 and have to say it was impressive. But it wasn't as exciting as the 97 911 Turbo S (All Wheel drive w/ twin turbo?..I think) with some serious modifications I drove. That had to be the fastest car I've ever driven. Just like a rocket...point in the direction you want to go and TAKE OFF.

It was at the high line sale in Atlanta (auction in Hapeville) so I wasn't worried about lighting it up!
Old 01-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #15
olly986

SLR are lovely but did you see the picture of Mercs new supercar?
Waaaah!Yuuuummmy and so on!!