Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Chard
Installed a short shifter and the Schnell linkage

I installed my short shifter and upgraded Schnell linkage over the weekend. I just wanted to give some of my impressions.

The shifter is a generic ebay one, but since there isn't really much to the shifter, this is a very viable option compared to the brand names that cost 3-4x more. The unit seems pretty quality and definitely solid. Throws are MUCH shorter than OEM but it does require a bit more effort to get into the gears. It's just a matter of getting used to it.

I was a bit disappointed with the quality control (or lack thereof) of Schnell linkage. The 3 set screws to connect the linkage to the cables wasn't deburred, preventing the cable from going in. I had to spend extra time filing down the inside of the linkage in order for this part to work. Good thing I had a round file that fit inside otherwise I would have been stuck.

Timing-wise, it couldn't have been better. My stock linkage was pretty torn up and it looked like it could have popped off the ball joint at any moment. I recommend anyone who is still on their OEM one to swap in a new one.

P.S. it was a PITA to get the center console out. It was really difficult maneuvering it into the right position to get it to come out. Does anyone have a secret sequence to make this part of the job easier?

Past:
'99.5 B5 A4 1.8tqms, '02 e46 m3 convertible
Chard is offline   Reply With Quote