Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #1

interior light remains on until car is locked

For the last week, when I turn the key off and remove the keys from the ignition, the interior light/odometer remain on until the car is locked. In the past, of course, they would remain on for a brief period then shut off on their own. No, it is not the ignition switch (replaced mine about a month ago and the problem cropped up a few weeks after that). In addition, it doesn't matter whether the top is up or down, so I assume it is not a microswitch for the top.

Does anyone know what part is responsible for the time-delay on those lights, as I assume that is what is malfunctioning. Its no big deal and it forces me to lock the car at all times when I get out (not a bad thing), but I like everything operating perfectly and want to get it repaired.

Thanks

Brad

southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
For the last week, when I turn the key off and remove the keys from the ignition, the interior light/odometer remain on until the car is locked. In the past, of course, they would remain on for a brief period then shut off on their own. No, it is not the ignition switch (replaced mine about a month ago and the problem cropped up a few weeks after that). In addition, it doesn't matter whether the top is up or down, so I assume it is not a microswitch for the top.

Does anyone know what part is responsible for the time-delay on those lights, as I assume that is what is malfunctioning. Its no big deal and it forces me to lock the car at all times when I get out (not a bad thing), but I like everything operating perfectly and want to get it repaired.

Thanks

Brad

Just because you replaced it doesn't mean it's not the ignition switch...again...

/
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #3

No Fatmike, it doesn't necessarily. However, there is obviously something apart from the ignition switch which causes the time delay in shutting off the interior lights after the key is removed from the ignition.

Brad
Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #4

Garage
Had a look at mine and the odometer stays lit for quite a while after closing the door (3:45), then goes off automatically. However, the interior light above rear view mirror and door (curb) lights go out after 30 seconds.

Have you tried cycling the 3 position switch on the interior light?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Door microswitch, maybe? When working on the interior, I've noticed that the gauge and interior lights stay on indefinitely if I don't close the door.

I guess that the horn would probably honk if it were when you locked it...just a guess.

Last edited by particlewave; 06-26-2013 at 11:21 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #6

Wow, I hadn't realized it was that long! Patience is not one of my virtues; heck, I don't even think it is a virtue. To me, patience is just a word to describe the exquisite agony of having to wait, sometimes almost interminably, for something that should happen immediately but for the sloth or incompentence of others. Anyway, enough of that. I'll try it again and report back. But 3:45 for the odometer?????

Brad
Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #7

Particlewave, I don't believe it is a microswitch for the doors precisely because the horn doesn't honk when I lock the car (as it will if a door, or the trunk or the armrest is not completely closed). Anyway, I went out to my car, put keys in the ignition, turned the keys on, then off and removed them without locking. I'll go back out in a couple of minutes and see if the lights/odometer went out.

Brad
Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #8

Thanks ccjazz, mystery solved! I went back out after 4 minutes and both the interior light and the odometer were off. Not sure how long it took (and for the reasons already indicated, I couldn't be bothered waiting beside my car for them to go out), but they did!

Maybe patience is a virtue afterall....... Nah!

Thanks again,

Brad
Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #9

Garage
Haha, your post got me wondering myself. I've often wondered why I would notice that the interior lights had dimmed but the odo was still on.

Now I know too.