986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Adding coolant question???/ (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/46627-adding-coolant-question.html)

Meat Head 06-25-2013 07:08 AM

Adding coolant question???/

My coolant is slightly below the minimum hash mark and I'm wanting to add a little coolant. My question is.......

Would you just add a little distilled water or would you buy a liter (from Pelican) of Porsche OEM coolant?

Is it important to use OEM Porsche coolant or is there an aftermarket equivalent?

Where is the best place to purchase coolant?

Thanks for your input:D.

ccjazz 06-25-2013 07:29 AM

Iwas in the same position this spring. I chose to purchase one liter of Porsche concentrate from the dealer (the pink stuff OEM).

Poured it into a spare gallon jug I had, filled the empty OEM liter container with distilled water and poured that into the gallon jug with the Porsche coolant. Gave it a shake, this gave me all I needed to top off the expansion tank (being careful not to fill beyond the MAX line).

Put the gallon jug and coolant in the frunk to carry in the event another top-off is required.

Flavor 987S 06-25-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Head (Post 348737)
My coolant is slightly below the minimum hash mark and I'm wanting to add a little coolant. My question is.......

Would you just add a little distilled water or would you buy a liter (from Pelican) of Porsche OEM coolant?

Is it important to use OEM Porsche coolant or is there an aftermarket equivalent?

Where is the best place to purchase coolant?

Thanks for your input:D.

I'd top off with distilled water. And keep a keen eye on the level. I'd want to know "why am I lossing coolant".

I'd only use OEM coolant.

Have you ever replaced your waterpump? Is the carpet dry in your trunk? Look under everything in the trunk.

ccjazz 06-25-2013 08:06 AM

Flavor, you make a great point. I should have mentioned that I had my indie look at mine and he noticed a very small amount of residue below the water pump. He checked and said it could have been due to recent lack of use and we're watching it. I check the level before eack drive and it's holding steady. He also pulled the rear carpet and expansion tank and surrounding area are dry.

I have also changed to to latest version of coolant cap.

southernstar 06-25-2013 08:24 AM

CCjazz, I would replace the waterpump before it fails. Mine shows no signs of leakage after winter storage and if it is leaking, it is on the way out. As Jack Raby points out in a parallel thread, debris from a failed impeller in the pump can cause quick failure of a replacement pump, so do not wait for it to go. In addition, as Jack suggests, go with a genuine Porsche pump.

Brad

thstone 06-25-2013 09:13 AM

Residue below the water pump is a clear indication that the water pump is leaking. Its not going to get better on its own. Might as well make the appropriate plans to have it replaced.

Here is what my water pump residue looked like when I finally got around to replacing it:

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...psb0c758b9.jpg

ccjazz 06-25-2013 09:33 AM

Thanks Brad, sound advice.

My indie is very thorough and has spent time with L/N reps when they were in town so is aware of the weak areas of the M96. He thought it would be ok to keep a close eye on it for now which I am definitely doing (in my own OCD anal way).

I'm also aware of the possible issues with some aftermarket pumps (metal impellor) so I'll go with dealer OEM when changing it out.

Just struggling with the fact that the milage is very low, 23,000 km (14,300 mi). I also realize that this low usage puts me at risk of other potential failures (eg IMSB) so am always alert to any leakage or unusual behavior/noises.

Wish I was putting on more fun miles, we have the rest of summer and fall here so I'll do my best to get out there and enjoy. This past week of flooding here has not helped.

ccjazz 06-25-2013 09:37 AM

thstone, thanks for the pic. I'll have another look at this with my guy and make a change-out plan.

Deep down I know you guys are right, not a good idea to let this go.

Appreciate the advice, thanks!

southernstar 06-25-2013 09:46 AM

ccjazz, sorry about the flooding and hope that all is fine for you and yours. And yes, enjoy that Boxster whenever you get the chance! You can get a decent price (as I recall a bit under $300.00) for an original Porsche pump from Suncoast in Fla. Even with shipping, it should be less than a new pump from a dealer in Calgary and you'll have it in hand when needed.

Brad

ccjazz 06-25-2013 09:53 AM

Thanks Brad, I'm fortunate to be high and dry where I am but thousands aren't as lucky.

Downtown was a mess but folks here are very caring and determined to overcome. Already turning the power back on in downtown and getting ready for Stampede.

I'll check out Suncoast, thanks for the heads-up!

Flavor 987S 06-25-2013 09:59 AM

Also do the serpt belt and thermostat at the same time as the waterpump. Research the low temp (160) thermostat as an upgrade.

ccjazz 06-25-2013 10:04 AM

Had the serp off a couple of weeks ago when looking at the pump. It was fine but I picked up a new one and put it in the frunk as a spare.

New 160 stat is something I'll look into, thanks.

Flavor 987S 06-25-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccjazz (Post 348783)
Had the serp off a couple of weeks ago when looking at the pump. It was fine but I picked up a new one and put it in the frunk as a spare.

The other way around! You had the belt off. Put the new one on, put the old in the frunk as a spare.

ccjazz 06-25-2013 10:17 AM

Touche'....:)

Perfectlap 06-25-2013 10:26 AM

make sure you are topping with the same kind of coolant that is in there already.
If you mix long-lasting expensive coolant with the generic kind you'll degrade the protective additives. Wayne Dempsey in 101 Boxster Projects actually advocates keeping the coolant 2 years fresh to maintain this protection.

And when flushing and old tank make sure all the air is out. Otherwise you'll be paying for a second fill up because the old, brittle tank split from the air pressure and dumped all your expensive coolant onto the street. Coolant flush usually runs about $400 with these cars.

AKnowles 06-25-2013 03:41 PM

I'd suggest buying the uView Airlift 550000, new OEM water pump, and LT thermostat. At the same time I did all this I also bought the hoses and clamps and changed them all. I have a part list on a prior thread if you want to go that route.

BTW: If you are not a PCA member, go sign up. Doing so lowers my parts cost 15% at my local dealer (if I have the number correct). My prices at the local dealer are actually less than SunCoast now. Lots less than Pelican Parts. Surprised me to be honest. My first purchase just about paid for my two year membership.

ccjazz 06-25-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 348792)
make sure you are topping with the same kind of coolant that is in there already.
If you mix long-lasting expensive coolant with the generic kind you'll degrade the protective additives. Wayne Dempsey in 101 Boxster Projects actually advocates keeping the coolant 2 years fresh to maintain this protection.

And when flushing and old tank make sure all the air is out. Otherwise you'll be paying for a second fill up because the old, brittle tank split from the air pressure and dumped all your expensive coolant onto the street. Coolant flush usually runs about $400 with these cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKnowles (Post 348856)
I'd suggest buying the uView Airlift 550000, new OEM water pump, and LT thermostat. At the same time I did all this I also bought the hoses and clamps and changed them all. I have a part list on a prior thread if you want to go that route.

BTW: If you are not a PCA member, go sign up. Doing so lowers my parts cost 15% at my local dealer (if I have the number correct). My prices at the local dealer are actually less than SunCoast now. Lots less than Pelican Parts. Surprised me to be honest. My first purchase just about paid for my two year membership.

I really appreciate all of the great advice and comments. Now I can make a plan.

Thanks all!
:cheers:

ccjazz 06-25-2013 04:06 PM

My apologies to Meat Head.

I guess I adopted your thread and hope many of your questions were answered in the process. :D

Meat Head 06-25-2013 10:37 PM

No apologies needed. I got a lot of info reading everyone's advice! Thanks