Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

I don't negotiate with terrorists ...

… and even posting this seems like I'm caving, but there are too many 986forum members that have stood up to defend me while others believe the slander that's been thrown my way.

I hate the Internet because it's so easy to hide behind a pseudonym and accuse someone of whatever and tarnish their reputation.
This 986forum member that's accused me of misleading advertising and price gouging calls me out by my name but hides his.

I'll only post here and not on the original post and this may very well be my last post on this forum. I'm tired of the BS.

I've been accused of misleading customers and price gouging.

My involvement with the Porsche (and especially the Boxster) community has been mainly for enjoyment and to help other owners have a pleasant ownership. Those of you that have contacted me via telephone or e-mail know that I will give you as much time as you need in order to help out. BTW that time has always been free. Maybe I should rethink that now since I'm a price gouger.

Regarding the particular accusations:
The TechnOBD-II product IS unique although it does come from iCarSoft and was rebranded. I can say that it is unique because I had been working directly with their technical staff to modify and develop new and different diagnostic software from the basic iCarSoft package. We also corrected several glitches that the OEM software had.
It was also a new product for my website.
The offer on my Board (PedrosBoard.com) said that it would be sold for $250.00, since that was the MSRP given to me by the manufacturer. Actually I ordered 10 units that had been pre-sold at $199.99. I never lowered the price to $199.99.
Needless to say those have been the only units sold by me to this day because although the initial response from iCarSoft was very good (when we were negotiating my initial order that was going to be much larger than 10 units), they dropped the ball on several other important topics that we had discussed, and agreements that we had made, so I have not ordered any more units beyond the initial 10.
I may not order any more if they maintain that very amateurish customer support and customer service.

The TechnoFix DOF is exactly the same product as the DOF from TuneRS. I have never claimed that it isn't. Miguel Potolicchio (TuneRS CEO) and I are business partners and we decided to offer the products under both of our brands.

Some of you have also stated that you are happy with these attacks because you have learned about my product. If you want information regarding my products why not ask me directly? My contact info is stated very clearly on my website.
My accuser instead of calling or writing me to ask about his doubts just assumes and accuses.

Regarding the price gouging accusation I assure you that my cost is not $20 as has been claimed for the set of HID lights. There may be some kits in the market that sell for that price, but not the ones I offer.
Also when you purchase any of my TechnoLite products I will send you a free replacement bulb or a free ballast transformer if it fails within 5 years of purchasing.
Additionally, the time I spent to develop the complete kit, write the detailed installation instructions for each particular Porsche model and the over-the-phone help to customers also has a real cost. And why do I even have to explain this?

I have not promoted my products on this 986forum. If someone else brings it up I may comment for clarification, but I do not advertise or merchandise here or in any other board except my own (where it's very measured).

I was under the impression that we lived in a free country with a free market. I thought wrong!
I am now told what I can call my products, how I must advertise them and what I can sell them for because someone decided to promote himself as protector of the members of this 986forum because they aren't smart or savvy enough to figure out for themselves if they are getting a good deal from me or not.

Haven't I seen this on CNN and Fox?

Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Old 04-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #2

Well this definitely clears up quite a few of the misconceptions in the other thread. Thankyou for elaborating.

Skickat från min HTC One M9 via Tapatalk
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Garage
Pedro:

Please keep posting. Your input has always been valuable, at least to this newbie. As Jerry Seinfeld says - "people are the worst". Unfortunately we have our share on this list. I wonder if crow can be consumed rectally....

Last edited by pilut2; 04-27-2016 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling error
pilut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #4

Pedro,

For those that have been around awhile and have utilized your "How-To" website and / or talked to you on the phone as I have, no worries.

Your Reputation precedes you......Very Much a Benefactor to the Porsche Boxster Community........
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
If you had answered my initial inquiries, we wouldn't be at this point. What are these special features you claim to have been working on? Proof? I'm calling BS.

We can settle this easily by asking someone that bought one from you what it does that the iCarsoft does not. The answer is "nothing". More lies in attempt to explain away your other lies.

Come out and say "ok, I lied and got caught" and I will remove my posts about it. Until then, the record will stand.

If you want to keep it up, I'll go ahead and post an eBay link to the exact same HID kit that you sell, only yours is $200 while the eBay kit is $20.
They are not similar. They are the exact same product with the same original brand name. Nice of you to provide free replacements and all, but anyone can buy 10 of these kits for the same price and have decades worth.

More importantly, this is a pattern of behavior. I can break down everything on your site and show how you use deceptive marketing through your posting, leading people to believe said products are your creation and superior. Shall we? Back off or I'll ramp up my efforts.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-27-2016 at 12:18 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #6

I have used information from your website and on this site posted by PW.

Both have been a great help and thanks to both of you.

I would not have done anything like the things I've done to my Boxster in the past 2 years were it not for this forum and UK's boxa.net The point of a forum is to share info and help others. If you want to help you do it the forum, if you want to sell you do it elsewhere.

PW's work on lights is second to none. Period.

Pedro you have far too many projects for me do all. Adapting the roof relay was one of the first things I did. Why no techotorque2 any more I like that idea.

That said PW seems to have a bee in his bonnet. Recently taking the p!ss out of a new member on their 3rd post, OK a bit basic but no need for the sarcasm, we all have to start somewhere.

Personally PW I think needs to grow up a bit and stop being so petulant. We are are all capable of searching the net to decide weather or not something is good value or not.

Both of you please carry on with your excellent work.
Kiss and make up guys!
Life's too short
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #7

"someone decided to promote himself as protector of the members of this 986forum "

Pedro, I can assure you that he most certainly does not speak for me.

Your DIY's are the best out there in my opinion and have been a huge help to me over the years. If you put out a book I would buy it in an instant.

Further, were I in the market for a product of the type you sell, I would have no reservations about buying from you whatsoever. Please don't let one azz ruin things for the rest of us.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #8

Porsche owners so often get a bad rap of being $%^&!

now I finally understand why...you just can't let it go can you PW?

I have been browsing (but rarely posting) on this forum since the old PPBB dissolved years ago and this is by far the most childish attack I have seen....Pedro's rep stands on it's own and does not need me to defend it as these attacks are beyond pathetic, I'm out.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
On the slippery slope

Garage
You know, had you given that explanation right off the bat, it might have put the issue to bed

just sayin.....

don't pull a Raby and leave or remove your phone number
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #10

Garage
Pedro, We've never met, but I reached out to you when I was installing my IMS Guardian. Despite not knowing me from Adam, you were extremely helpful, even measuring exactly where you'd fed the cable through the firewall during your install. Additionally, I've benefited from your technical articles and DIY's. Please don't stop posting to this forum because of one guy with issues. Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #11

I will just drop this here

I worked with Pedro in a different industry for many years and have always found him to be a trustworthy and great person. When I purchased my Boxster I didn't even know Pedro was Pedro (that I knew) because it had been several years. I have found his website to be most helpful....I would not hesitate to spend money with Pedro and ever lose any sleep over it.

Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #12
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
If you had answered my initial inquiries, we wouldn't be at this point. What are these special features you claim to have been working on? Proof? I'm calling BS.

We can settle this easily by asking someone that bought one from you what it does that the iCarsoft does not. The answer is "nothing". More lies in attempt to explain away your other lies.

Come out and say "ok, I lied and got caught" and I will remove my posts about it. Until then, the record will stand.

If you want to keep it up, I'll go ahead and post an eBay link to the exact same HID kit that you sell, only yours is $200 while the eBay kit is $20.
They are not similar. They are the exact same product with the same original brand name. Nice of you to provide free replacements and all, but anyone can buy 10 of these kits for the same price and have decades worth.

More importantly, this is a pattern of behavior. I can break down everything on your site and show how you use deceptive marketing through your posting, leading people to believe said products are your creation and superior. Shall we? Back off or I'll ramp up my efforts.
What was your name again?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #13

Garage
Didn't want to get involved in the other thread but I just want to say thanks for the technical articles on your site. I use them most any Saturday when working on the car.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #14

Pedro is a class act as evidenced by his open and honest comments.

Keep up the good and admirable work my friend.
Frontpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #15
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
I have read the posts on the other thread and wanted to refrain from adding to the vitriol. I try to be respectful of all, and understand people can have different opinions and be passionate about their opinions (oil, IMSB, etc.).

I don't know Particlewave, I think his name is Charles, other to know that he seems to be a very helpful forum member when it comes to headlight knowledge and advice. I've appreciated his posts and videos on the subject.

I do have have some direct experience with Pedro, and this does make me biased. I've spoken with him on the phone, emailed back and forth with questions, and finally stood and talked with him in his garage when I bought my car from him. He never tried to "sell" me on anything, never pressured me, and certainly didn't gouge me. I paid a healthy, but fair price for a fantastic car - considering the condition it was in and the work and upgrades he put into it. He was only kind, patient, courteous and quite obviously knowledgeable and passionate about racing, Porsches and of course, 986 Boxsters. He also explained his relationship with Miguel from TuneRS Motorsports and the DOF product without being asked. Clearly, he is out to make a profit as he should be. If he wants to work with the other vendor to rebrand their product and sell it on his site, I have no problems with that. People don't seem to mind buying from him based on his reputation in the Boxster community and the knowledge and customer service he provides - at no charge. As others have said, no one is forcing you to spend your money with him. Do research and make decisions as we all do.

That being said, I think there were other and better ways for PW to deal with this issue - which clearly bothers him - and I wonder why he didn't pick up the phone. When you call Pedro, it is Pedro who answers (well, there's no one else ). If PW got no satisfaction, then he could post about other cheaper OBD products he recommends as alternatives. Calling some out or attacking their reputation publicly is not good form, but quite common in the age of the Internet.

I would buy from Pedro again in a heartbeat, and if anyone wants to PM me I could expand on my thoughts and provide examples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #16

Drop Number 2 by me...and let leave it here

Particle Wave has done me a few favors including one giant one. I am not entering into this feud...save it to say I have found him to very well informed and I would trust him and his opinion. I hope this sorts out ....have gotten a lot of help from a lot of good folks here.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:07 AM   #17

Pedro,

could you please tell us what exact improvements have been done to your edition iCarSoft OBD tool.

Thanks & regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:21 AM   #18

Garage
I really enjoyed the popcorn "High Noon" and "Tombstone." I think I'll pop up some more and watch "The Searchers.":dance:
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:58 AM   #19

Just wrote this on the other thread on this issue:

Two good people, obviously have differences in their opinions. I won't agree or disagree with anyone, but there's some valid points from both.

Pedro valid point
I agree with Pedro in that he has re-branded a product and decided to sell it under his name. People do it all the time, and as a trusted member, it gives people peace of mind that when they buy a product from him (with a known reputation of helping others), they're getting a good product. Even if he wants to put a little mark up on it, it's up to him as, like said, people do it all the time.

Particlewave valid point
I agree with Particle wave in that re-branding was never the big problem. Telling everyone it's essentially new and improved is a problem, but raising the price from $20 to $200 is a serious problem. Totally unacceptable. Unless the product has changes, like Pedro has stated in the other thread.

I've never dealt with Pedro but I've used his guides, which as we all know are free of charge to view. This in my books makes him quite a respectable person. I've dealt with Particlewave a few times and he's been incredibly helpful, saving my ass a few times and recording a how-to video especially for a problem I had. Not many people would go out of the way to do that for a single individual.

Both have points, but both need to calm down a little (no disrespect to either). Apologies for sitting on the fence but I'd rather not take sides, as they're both good people

I think what needs to happen is for an administrator to delete the threads, and to send a PM to each one recommending them to keep their confrontations to themselves.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:16 AM   #20

I'm sorry to have seen both these threads as both people have been helpful to this community and are passionate about their involvement with our cars and this forum.

I don't know and have not bought anything from either so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I have purchased products, rebranded them, sometimes modified them or repackaged them or repurposed them and introduced them to new markets for profit. Porsche does it and so do many businesses (if anyone thinks that Costco manufactures the stuff they sell under their house brand, you are quite mistaken). Nothing wrong or unethical about it. Yes, a consumer who does the research and invests the time might find the original manufacturer and save $ or maybe the consumer buys from a vendor out of convenience or an affinity to the vendor.

As a business coach and marketer I can see both sides of this spat but, rather than keep typing I'm going to go for a ride in my beautiful 986 and smile a lot. If it wasn't raining I'd put the top down.

Boys, make up and enjoy, life's too short!
Larry (The Bald Eagle)

Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote