986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   There are some cruel people in this world :,( (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/46600-there-some-cruel-people-world.html)

Redmond Boxster 06-24-2013 04:17 AM

There are some cruel people in this world :,(

Today, I left my car parked in a car park which is extremely close to the police station in perth Western Australia. I am 19 and worked my ass off to own a Porsche boxster - been a dream car since I could remember. I walked to my car today and someone had stole the bonnet badge, I though Ohwell get another one, as I looked closer, the screwdriver they must of used had actually gone to the bare metal through the bonnet. Sad times :(

Anyone know of any filler that could do the job or cheap bonnet badge that is a size bigger so it can hide the damage a little.:mad:http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1372076257.jpg

AndyA6 06-24-2013 04:57 AM

Oh no! Sorry to see this!! Is this covered by your insurance?

pjv 06-24-2013 05:00 AM

What a b*stard that is, unfortunately the price of owning a nice car. It has happened to me more than once, and much worse than that too. I think your best bet is to get one of the mobile scratch and dent repair services like the Touch-Up Guys who are I think Australia-wide. Would be cheaper than restoring the whole bonnet, but it all depends upon how much you want to spend. You might be able to get a cheap badge via Ebay if you don't want to pay OEM prices. Hope that helps.

southernstar 06-24-2013 05:00 AM

Sorry Redmond - but you are right, the world is full of people who could care less about anyone else but themselves. I have often felt that while one can understand the motivation for theft per se (and hopefully, deter the same by making it unprofitable), those who commit wanton and reckless damage are much more difficult to deter - i.e., they get enjoyment out of harming others with no material profit to themselves. I have so far been lucky with the hood ornament on my Boxster, but I had the one on my old 944 stolen 4 times in 2 years. In order to avoid further damage to paintwork, I actually thought of installing it with velcro! I don't think you can go with a larger crest and, sadly, short of repainting your hood, you can only use touch-up paint. However, since your hood has been damaged, have you given any thought to making a claim on your insurance?

Brad

ProjectM96 06-24-2013 05:11 AM

Until you get more money, just use black touch up paint.

Mark_T 06-24-2013 05:24 AM

Why don't you message the peeps that are parting out cars in the for sale section to see if anyone has a hood badge they could send you?

soucorp 06-24-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmond Boxster (Post 348555)
Today, I left my car parked in a car park which is extremely close to the police station in perth Western Australia. I am 19 and worked my ass off to own a Porsche boxster - been a dream car since I could remember. I walked to my car today and someone had stole the bonnet badge, I though Ohwell get another one, as I looked closer, the screwdriver they must of used had actually gone to the bare metal through the bonnet. Sad times :(

Anyone know of any filler that could do the job or cheap bonnet badge that is a size bigger so it can hide the damage a little.:mad:

That's horrible. Probably a bunch of kids causing trouble. The badges are relatively cheap, look them up on ebay for used one. I would claim it through my insurance but if you just want to take care of it yourself, I understand. A body shop can fix it for a few hundred with filler and paint before a new badge gets back on. At least in the states, not sure how much in Ozzy. A good advice to remember is to choose your car park wisely. I always park my car far away from others for the following reasons:
1) the extra walk is great exercise
2) no idiot can ding my doors or side swipe me as they come and go in their big SUVs
3) anyone near the car can be seen by you or others if they are messing with the car
4) park in a well lighted area

Best

SeanZ4 06-24-2013 05:52 AM

+1 on parking far out. I replaced my badge for around $50 for an oem one I found online. Mine had lots of rock chips. I feel your pain. I had the hood and trunk badges stolen off my old Mercedes years ago. I put out a whopping $20 reward to the neighborhood kids for who would tell me who did it. I had two-three kids on my front porch arguing on how to 'split up' the reward $ in a matter of minutes. I was lucky to catch my perp. and the parents paid dearly to keep the police out of it.

good luck!

pjv 06-24-2013 06:02 AM

Redmond, if you need to delay getting it professionally repaired, first seal the scratches so that the bare metal does not rust. Go to one of the auto shops like Supercheap Auto or Repco and ask their advice as to what to use and how to do it, if you are not sure. They have a lot of body/paint repair products.

As for insurance, when I was 19 I could not afford to even have insurance on my car itself, so I imagine you may be paying an arm and a leg for it, and then have a massive excess payable such that it is of no help in this instance. I suppose things must be similar in the USA.

I think the idea that was suggested of getting a can of touch-up paint as a temporary measure is sound - there must be a number of places in Perth where you could get a spray can of matched colour made up. They usually cost about $30 and do a good job with a bit of practice. Also, I found a badge on Ebay for about $12.50 from the USA.

Unfortunately Perth is a long way from here, so I can't offer to help!

ducati11 06-24-2013 06:56 AM

Just unbelievable. Those people dont have any idea how sad and mad the owner feels when he sees this kind of violence

The guy who did it should be punished very hard

Skrapmot 06-24-2013 09:53 AM

When I had my 89 BMW, those bastards kept stealing the emblem off the front also.
A hood respray and emblem might be less than cheaper than an insurance deductible, especially if you do the prep yourself.

Perfectlap 06-24-2013 10:34 AM

You could get a decal from Ebay as temporary patch.

One of the modifications I've never gotten around to is replacing the gold crest for a silver one. Probably because they're about $100... Every repair is an oppourtunity for an upgrade. Looks like you'll be heading for the paint booth unfortunately.

As for your young vandals, I recently set up a couple of dummy surveillance cameras at a relatives house.
It's a condo so there is no garaged or covered parking. They have a neighbohr with really rotten kids who go about breaking windows and similar. I went to Lowe's and picked up a couple of these fake cameras from General Electric for about $23 each. They look like those small webcams but have a small red LED in front that flashes. I took some black electrical tape and attached a spare USB cord to each one to make it look like it was connected to actual surveilance hardware. At night it flashes very brightly. I thought about putting one inside of my car when I park it somewhere with a little glow in the dark sign over it that says "4G Surveillance".

jb92563 06-24-2013 11:19 AM

You need the Car Zapper 9000

The are also cheap in car surveillance cameras that I had been considering as well.
Camcorder-Vehicle-Dashboard-Camera

I'll bet they left finger prints on your shinny car, make the police work for your tax dollars and have them lift the prints and check the database.

particlewave 06-24-2013 12:24 PM

At $150, I'm surprised that no one here has tried the car zapper yet. The main issue I guess is that in order to arm the car, it must be grounded. As in, a wire actually needs to run down and touch the ground. A simple retractable chain might be feasible. Also unsure if contacting pavement would conduct...

Sure would be fun, though. :)

mistermac99 06-24-2013 04:54 PM

I carry comprehensive as part of my insurance policy, and things such as this are paid for 100%, with no deductible, and it doesn't make your insurance premiums go up.

Check to see what your policy will do for you.

Good luck!

howe 06-25-2013 01:11 AM

Many times I would have loved to take out the Boxster but didn't for this very reason. A reflection on society today.

AKnowles 06-25-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermac99 (Post 348661)
I carry comprehensive as part of my insurance policy, and things such as this are paid for 100%, with no deductible, and it doesn't make your insurance premiums go up.

As do I. Doesn't make sense to me not considering the small premium that is required for it and covers the entire car. There are a lot of malicious people out there. Best to be covered in the advent of damage. I consider it just part of the package for any car I purchase new or "really cool used". ;)

SF-Rockster 06-25-2013 06:57 AM

Sorry to hear what happened.
I can add a little help.
It's a cheap fix.
You can get carbon fiber vinyl wrap and do your hood in that.
Here's a link to a pic of a Porsche thats done it. Looks pretty good.

Untitled Page

Hope that helps.
If you do go this route make sure you get 3M brand wrap

Good luck

Redmond Boxster 07-03-2013 08:10 PM

Hi fellas

Than you all so much for your kind replies, I guess there's nothing I can do about it, I have ordered a new hood badge and Matt black wrap for the bonnet, see how that looks. Insurance was a joke to get it done and I got quoted $750 for bonnet fill, dent remove and respray, so I'll see how I go. Definitely parking it far away from anything now :(

Cheers

Mark_T 07-04-2013 06:09 AM

Did you consider buying a tin of Bondo and a can of paint and having a go at fixing it yourself? Bodywork isn't magic - just a lot of patience. Should be about a $50 repair including the Bondo, 3 cans of paint (primer, paint, clear), sanding block, a few grades of sandpaper ( 400, 600, 800 wet'n'dry), and some rubbing compound. An ebay hood crest will run you another $50, so for $100 you've got a repair that will look perfect at any speed over 5mph. It might not be pro-perfect if it is your first attempt, but it would be better than some ricer-boy hood wrap.