986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Trouble shooting no start (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/46560-trouble-shooting-no-start.html)

Duquette5 06-22-2013 02:45 PM

Trouble shooting no start

Ok so I've let my project car ('00 Boxie) sit long enough time to dive in. In troubleshooting a no start/no crank condition this is what I've done:

Replaced battery w/new battery
Replaced ignition switch
Removed immobilizer and inspected - found some minor corrosion on circuit board de-soldered those joints and re-soldered them.
By-passed clutch switch

Still no start.
All electronics work.
When I turn the key all the way to start I can hear the MAF cycle and a high frequency buzz from the engine compartment, but no cranking.

With key on I can crank the engine by jumping the solenoid on the starter.

I have 12V on the battery side of the solenoid only, even when turning the key all the way over.

Thoughts and suggestions please...

Duquette5 06-25-2013 03:30 PM

Anybody? I guess next step is to pull the starter and have it tested. That's the plan for Saturday unless the wife catches me in the garage with the car and decides I need to be doing "better" things...

particlewave 06-25-2013 03:38 PM

So, cranking it by applying voltage directly, does it fire?

Brockmeister 06-25-2013 04:23 PM

Maybe a bad ignition switch?

Duquette5 06-25-2013 04:57 PM

It does fire - and the ignition switch is new.

Duquette5 06-25-2013 06:15 PM

Going to remove my clutch safety switch bypass (bent wire) and make sure it has good contact when I get home from work tomorrow.

Ian c 06-25-2013 06:27 PM

If your jumping the starter and its cranking , the starter is working .

If your saying what I think you're saying ....
Shorting your battery plus to the switched plus on the starter with a screwdriver or similar , activates the starter ?

Try using jumper cables to eliminate the BIG side :
Battery + to starter b+ : if it works , you have bad main cable from batt to starter .
Starter body to chassis : bad engine ground
Chassis to battery - : bad ground strap
Battery + on starter to switched+ on starter : bad switched wire from ignition ( this is where it gets tricky with ancillary switches etc)

Is your car stick or tip ?

Duquette5 06-28-2013 05:43 PM

It's a stick, haven't been able to do any troubleshooting due to heavy workload this week. Hopefully getting out there tomorrow afternoon.

Ian c 06-29-2013 05:33 AM

If you be no power on the switched positive to the starter that you have confirmed with a meter , or by the old method of jumping the starter with a screwdriver , then you need to look at anything else in that circuit from the ignition to the starter , such as clutch switches that need to be depressed etc . And the electrical portion of the ignition switch (Audi part , fixing mine this weekend)