Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
recycledsixtie

Garage
Just need some info on what a Durametric ...

can do . For instance I have a strange noise at idle on my 2001Boxster base which has 40k miles. Other than posting a youtube video of it on this forum would a Durametric code reader tell me what is going on and where the noise originates?
The noise goes away above idle power. Before I order a Durametric, I would like to know if something is about to fail because it makes more noise than normal.
Your comments would be appreciated!I will shortly be ordering the Durametric anyway.

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
soucorp

Garage
I don't think a Durametric code reader will tell you where the noise is coming from, if anything shows up, it will show you what to look at as those monitored items are being tracked and has caused a detectable fault.

For example, if its a bad bearing in the waterpump, AC compressor, tensioners those items would not show up but you will hear it.
soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #3

A mechanics stethoscope would be of more use locating the noise, lot cheaper than a durametric cable.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #4

Second the stethosope.
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soucorp View Post
I don't think a Durametric code reader will tell you where the noise is coming from, if anything shows up, it will show you what to look at as those monitored items are being tracked and has caused a detectable fault.

For example, if its a bad bearing in the waterpump, AC compressor, tensioners those items would not show up but you will hear it.
Yes I will pick up a stethoscope to check out the noise. Can you make any generalizations as to what can cause a noise at idle and then disappear as the rpm's
are increased above idle? Water temp shows normal so far.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #6

Garage
My first three guesses would be:
  1. Faulty bearing (water pump, belt tensioners, AC compressor, as mentioned above)
  2. Engine Mount
  3. Loose belt

Anything that could wiggle or bump at idle that would smooth or balance itself out when the engine speed is increased. Does the noise come or go when you activate the AC?
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieniber View Post
  1. Faulty bearing (water pump, belt tensioners, AC compressor, as mentioned above)
  2. Engine Mount
  3. Loose belt

Anything that could wiggle or bump at idle that would smooth or balance itself out when the engine speed is increased. Does the noise come or go when you activate the AC?
Good question about the AC. I started the car without the AC on. Nice quiet idle.
Then when I put AC on I get the noise back. The noise can be compared to gears working together that would be made out of wood. Certainly not a metallic noise but more subtle and not as threatening. Now when I come to shut off AC the noise remains when the car is warm. I will try again tomorrow and see if it is quiet when I start it up without ac on....
Old 06-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieniber View Post
  2. Engine Mount
  3. Loose belt

I gave in and took my Box to the Indy shop to get them to listen to the noise at idle.
Mechanic says that it is likely faulty bearing of belt tensioner, or water pump etc as a couple of you mentioned. I have appointment for next week and I thank you all for the assistance. It does not need intensive care as the JD mobile but hopefully Outpatient care.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #9

Sounds like he has less idea than you - at least you narrowed it down to the aircon.

I would go elsewhere or he will be billing you for pulleys, belt, water pump, power steering pump, alternator etc in his quest to find it.