986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Removing amber from headlights on a 99 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4643-removing-amber-headlights-99-a.html)

blinkwatt 12-31-2005 12:15 AM

Removing amber from headlights on a 99

Is it possible to remove the amber from the headlights from a 99?

tqtran 01-01-2006 05:12 PM

nope, its in the plastic. Thought it may look like a film, its not.

RandallNeighbour 01-01-2006 06:50 PM

I've tried spraying it with window tint and gave up. Save up for clear or tiptronic headlamps if you want to rid yourself of the old looking amber.

mjw930 01-01-2006 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Save up for clear or tiptronic headlamps if you want to rid yourself of the old looking amber.

Would those be the ones that turn on and off "automatically" :p

It's late, I'm sure you meant Litronic ;)

Rail26 01-01-2006 07:24 PM

Who's amber and why do you want to remove the poor lass?

creseida 01-01-2006 07:47 PM

I guess I'm weird... I like the amber.

olly986 01-02-2006 02:19 AM

Is your first name Amber by any chance :)

RandallNeighbour 01-02-2006 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930
Would those be the ones that turn on and off "automatically" :p

It's late, I'm sure you meant Litronic ;)

Ha! Now that it's morning I see what I wrote so late last night. So much for my new year's resolution to proof every post before clicking the "submit reply" button :cheers:

Oh, and some of the contributors here would probably remember my liking amber for a long time too... but I came to discover that the source of that love for the color was just a lack of cash. The second I had 1500.00 burning a hole in the Porsche fund pocket, it was spent on LITRONICS (got it right this time) and side markers and tail lamps.

olly986 01-02-2006 12:22 PM

i randall you seem to spend a lot of money on aftermarket and upgrade for a 97 box, would'nt it be wiser to save for a while and buy a good second hand 2000 with the bits you like?
just a thought :cheers:

RandallNeighbour 01-03-2006 07:03 AM

Just getting my 97 into good running condition has made it an expensive investment to date, so I'm keeping the car and making it look newer. I'd never get out what I've put into it just to have a newer look (which I have) and a larger engine.

Perfectlap 01-03-2006 08:56 AM

you can buy the clear corners and clear side markers for starters. I think some have posted attempts to spray paint the amber silver or use mettalic window tinting film.
$500 seems like a lot to pay for clear looks. But that's what I did! The only consolation was that I sold them for $500 as well. I later joined the Brandywine group buy on Litronics $1100. You can bet those ambers are going back on the car when I sell. Although I personally would never buy 2nd hand $1000 headlights.

RandallNeighbour 01-03-2006 11:50 AM

Yeah, buying used Litronics is not a good move. I can just see it now... install them and they work great for 3 months and then one of the bulbs burn out.

No problem you say? Just go down to Autozone and buy another and pop it in?

Ha!

How about calling a dealership and paying $200+ for that rascal!

Kinda makes buying used look like a lousy deal to me and a risk I do not want to take.

eslai 01-03-2006 02:52 PM

Well, if you got the used housing withi bulbs for $500 it'd be okay right? :)

creseida 01-03-2006 04:37 PM

Olly,

No, my name isn't Amber. ;) But I do like the primary colour look: blue box with red and yellow marker lights.

Someday I would like litronics, but not because I want to lose the amber. More because I live in BFE and there are no streetlights (among other things) and lots of wildlife and other things wind up in the road after dark.

RandallNeighbour 01-04-2006 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eslai
Well, if you got the used housing withi bulbs for $500 it'd be okay right? :)

Yes, that would still be a good deal, even if you had to replace both bulbs quickly, which probably won't happen, even though it's a possibility.

I've not seen used Litronics on Ebay closing for anywhere near $500 though. More like $800 or more.

olly986 01-05-2006 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creseida
Olly,

No, my name isn't Amber. ;) But I do like the primary colour look: blue box with red and yellow marker lights.

Someday I would like litronics, but not because I want to lose the amber. More because I live in BFE and there are no streetlights (among other things) and lots of wildlife and other things wind up in the road after dark.

that sounds cool, wildlife, here we don't even have snakes, bloody St Patrick! :)
i find darker colors like black, blue even green looks better with white lenses but it is a personal taste anyway, where is BFE anyway?

Tool Pants 01-05-2006 06:24 PM

The original question was, how to remove the amber from 1999 headlights.

In my case it was a Chevy truck that backed up into me at a stop sign a few years ago - for some strange reason. That is one way to remove the amber.

I had all amber lights and I had no problem with amber on my 1997 artic silver.

Due to the "sudden" change of events I made a plan.

A friend in Germany gave me the clear tail lights, US version, about a year or two before the crash. When they first came out and it was hard to get the clear tails in the US, but he had a connection. I put the boxes away for a long time.

I told the body shop not to replace the amber headlights as I wanted clears. Instead, I was given the money. I passed on lits and the 2003 Boxster clear headlights.

My 2000 friend had put in lits, so I borrowed his old amber headlights for 4 months while I searched ebay for cheap 996 clear headlights. I drove home from the body shop with his headlights.

Then I found and put in 996 clear headlights. Then put in the tail lights from the boxes. Then I bought the clear side markers.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ToolPants/crash002.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ToolPants/crash004.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ToolPants...dlights001.jpg

olly986 01-08-2006 10:31 AM

hi toolpants
this way is maybe a little bit too.....much! :)
lucky for us here we don't have chevrolet trucks like that one