Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #1

Anyone have the silver convertible top?

Hey guys im looking for someone w/ a bit of experience w/ the porsche silver soft top. I really like the look and want it badly. However I hear its a pain to keep clean. I have a garage to keep sun off of it and rain, but it'll be in the weather when its out. I notice there are 2 shades or silver/grey, which is closer to factory silver? Thanks for direction and perspective ideas in advance.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:48 AM   #2

I bought my 2000 in 2004 and it had the Graphite Gray top (I think it's the darker of the 2 shades). The car only had 20k miles on it so it didn't see a lot of use. The top was definitely a bit discolored. Still looked OK because it was a rare look, but black tops definitely look better (I had a tear in the rear window and replaced the top with a black one). My top also hada lot of scuff marks and unusual wear, so it's possible that it wasn't maintained well, but the rest of the car was immaculate, so it couldn't have been abused all that much.

I see a few of them around on other cars (the lighter shade is popular on blue Boxsters around here) and they always look good. In the end I think they probably hold up well enough, but seeing it up close on a nice silver paint every day definitely made it look grungy in contrast to the paint.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:07 AM   #3
creseida

I have the lighter grey convertible top on my boxster. It is now going on 7 years old, but still looks good with only two small darker spots where the roof folds. Of course, my top spends 99% of its time in the down position, so it isn't like too many people see it anyways.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #4

Light gray here... when I decide to replace it, I'm probably going with black just for the sake of hiding potential stains. It'll always look cleaner. Like the others, my soft top is rarely up... I use the hard top or no top.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
olly986

one of my pals have the grey top with i don't know the name, a kind of off purplely grey paint it looks stuning, got the car last year after his S went on fire, will have a look at his top next time as we rarely drive with the top down here the weather is CRAP at present
Old 01-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #6

Silver top on my Arctic Silver Box. I love the look. I will admit that it can "stain". I've got a couple of darker spots on the top that I can't explain. Also, any "folding" marks will show up darker. I haven't yet shampoo'd it so I can't say how those spots will come out. But, all in all, I really like the look of the silver top with the silver paint - much more than the everyday standard black top. Not that black isn't classy and nice - it's just that the silver is unique and looks great with the silver. My top does spend quite a bit up time in the "up" position - but then it IS winter and it's my daily driver.

Summary: LOVE IT. UNIQUE. GO FOR IT!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #7
olly986

hi pete
one product i use for the hood (thats the roof) is autoglym fabric hood cleaner and protector, it give a very good result and brings the top back to new and seals it again against rain and all