986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Don't Fix Your Ignition Switch (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/46415-dont-fix-your-ignition-switch.html)

Tortuga 06-11-2013 06:47 PM

Don't Fix Your Ignition Switch

So recently a fine upstanding citizen stole my 98 Boxster, stuffed a 43 inch flat panel in it with the top *up*, and took it for a joyride.

As I watched him drive away (not kidding - I didn't realize it was mine) I had two thoughts:
(1) That dude is murdering that clutch
(2) That's a good looking car! I should get it mine out and wash it.

Well, my car, and my clutch.

Police found it the next day and told me it was upside down. Serious depression ensued since the car only had 45k miles. I steeled myself for a ridiculously low check from my insurance company, and felt slightly better that the Boxster exacted some revenge on the thief.

After about four weeks of bureaucratic run around, I got my eyes on the car and it was, well, perfect. Not a scratch. Much dust, but no scratches. Even my blanket and industrial strength window scraper were present.

Since my broken ignition switch required absolute precision placement to get the headlights to work, I think the thief found himself cruising in the dark, in a stolen car with no headlights and dumped it at the first opportunity.

Moral of the story - don't fix your ignition switch, since it's a nice anti-theft device!

Sub-moral - lazy man who doesn't fix his car profits from inaction!

I also seem to be developing a strange attraction to old 944s and 968s on ebay, which may or may not be related to the trauma of watching my own car get stolen.

Joe B 06-11-2013 06:49 PM

How about just not leaving the key in it :confused:?

fatmike 06-11-2013 06:57 PM

Bummer.

But how the heck to do you flip a Boxster?

/

Tortuga 06-11-2013 06:58 PM

The key wasn't in the car - thief broke into my house, found a backup key buried in a drawer, and rolled off with the car.

Tortuga 06-11-2013 07:03 PM

No clue how one might flip it -- the thief didn't -- the cops just gave me some bad info.

Although after a few weeks one cop told me that my car was fine and I shouldn't worry about it, they just found it upside down. How that statement made sense to him I do not know.

Joe B 06-11-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tortuga (Post 346966)
The key wasn't in the car - thief broke into my house, found a backup key buried in a drawer, and rolled off with the car.

Oh.

(This message has to be 10 characters).

ccjazz 06-12-2013 03:38 AM

The guy's probably sitting in his recliner watching 'Cops' on his new 43'' flat screen :D

thstone 06-12-2013 11:21 AM

Since it all ended fine, I really liked this part - too friggin' funny:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tortuga (Post 346958)
As I watched him drive away (not kidding - I didn't realize it was mine) I had two thoughts:
(1) That dude is murdering that clutch
(2) That's a good looking car! I should get it mine out and wash it.

Kenny Boxster 06-12-2013 01:42 PM

Well, good thing you got your car back before JD heard word, otherwise he'd summon his agents. Am glad to hear your car was unscathed and not flipped over!

SeanZ4 06-12-2013 01:55 PM

My brother lives in DC (Adams Morgan) also. The first week he was there his car got stolen and never recovered. He figured it was the DC Welcome Wagon committee. Now where I live (middle of nowhere) my key has been in the console of my Boxster for nearly 5 years. They'd steal my F150 truck though!

particlewave 06-12-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanZ4 (Post 347086)
My brother lives in DC (Adams Morgan) also. The first week he was there his car got stolen and never recovered. He figured it was the DC Welcome Wagon committee. Now where I live (middle of nowhere) my key has been in the console of my Boxster for nearly 5 years. They'd steal my F150 truck though!

You must be rural...I wouldn't try that in KC, Topeka, Wichita, or even Emporia. There are areas of KC, that I won't even drive through with the windows down :(

rp17 06-12-2013 03:50 PM

Glad you got your car back. Usually doesnt end that way. :cheers:

SeanZ4 06-13-2013 05:45 AM

Particlewave, I'm kind of in a rural area, but also next to a military base (Ft.Riley)... Originally from Wichita and a lot of family in JoCo (KC) The crime rate is nearly zero in the little town I live in (Abilene)