Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #1

Getting my IMSB Replaced Tomorrow

I believe I found a good shop in the Denver metro area to do the upgraded LN Engineering ceramic bearing installation. I was surprised to hear they have the parts in stock for both single row and double row bearings. He said he's recently done 20 of them and sounded like he really knows his stuff.

Mark @ Autoworks Colorado 303-800-9005
Littleton, CO

$2,385.81 includes LN bearing, RMS, Oil Change and new clutch installed. I'm going to have him do the serpentine belt while he's working on it and I should be good to go for quite a while.

Bringing the car in tonight and will pick it up Thursday morning. It will be interesting to see the condition of the orignal bearing. In any event, I'll be glad to have that behind me so I can enjoy the car worry free. (knocking on wood now).

2003 Boxster S 25k miles.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #2

That sounds like a very fair price all thats being replaced.
2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

I might consider changing the dual mass fly wheel while they're doing the clutch. I was told
that they usually wear at the same pace.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #4

Garage
Tomorrow seems to be a Colorado IMS replacement day. My 2001S goes to Poudre Sport in Ft Collins tomorrow. New RMS (leaking), IMS, Clutch, replacing an axle and repacking a boot on the other side where the clamp loosened. Going to have the tranny fluid changed at the same time too.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #5

Good luck with your bearing replacements guys. I feel like I should be scared with a '98 and 86K on the clock.

Dave it would be very interesting to see the bearing condition. Maybe your shop could cut it in half for inspection?
8mm/12mm Spacers w/Chrome Lugs
Debadged
Boxster Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
I believe I found a good shop in the Denver metro area to do the upgraded LN Engineering ceramic bearing installation. I was surprised to hear they have the parts in stock for both single row and double row bearings. He said he's recently done 20 of them and sounded like he really knows his stuff.

Mark @ Autoworks Colorado 303-800-9005
Littleton, CO

$2,385.81 includes LN bearing, RMS, Oil Change and new clutch installed. I'm going to have him do the serpentine belt while he's working on it and I should be good to go for quite a while.

Bringing the car in tonight and will pick it up Thursday morning. It will be interesting to see the condition of the orignal bearing. In any event, I'll be glad to have that behind me so I can enjoy the car worry free. (knocking on wood now).

Trust me. You'll sleep a LOT better after the procedure is done.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
I might consider changing the dual mass fly wheel while they're doing the clutch. I was told
that they usually wear at the same pace.
The shop guy told me he expects my clutch to be in very good condition with only 25k miles on it and suggested they measure it and decide if it should be replaced. He'll call me with details, but I'll probably replace it anyway so everything is fresh for the next 50k miles.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #8

While I was at the shop dropping off the Boxster today, I got to see a whole box full of damaged IMS bearings and shafts. What a mess.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #9

Garage
Does anyone have data that would support how sound the LN bearing is? When/if they fail does it toast the engine too? Until I knew the answers to those questions I still would drive everyday wondering. I sleep ok anyway cause I decided long ago I would take my chances until I need a clutch, which at 13,650 miles on the odometer at this time, it could be a while. I don't worry. Glad you have a shop you can trust and hope you enjoy the 'new' car.
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #10

LN does not release data, although in an earlier thread there was mention that as at around October 2012 they claimed that they have had only a 'handful' of failures (as I recall 6) and all in relation to the single-row replacement bearings - none of their replacement dual-row bearings had suffered a failure. And yes, the result of failure is identical to a failure with the original bearing.

There was another recent thread where a member had his upgraded single-row LN bearing, installed by an 'approved' installer, fail after about 5000 miles. LN blamed the installer and paid for only a replacement IMS and bearing (perhaps understandably, they will not pay for collateral damage). UPDATE: It is actually a thread on perdrosboard and, in addition, it discusses various IMS upgrades:

http://pedrosboard.com/read.php?7,26540,26540#msg-26540

As I understand it, if the bearing is not seated properly i.e., perfectly flush, it will lead to movement/wobbles in the shaft and failure should occur very quickly - typically in a few hundred miles. If installed properly, then who knows how long it will survive? In theory, at least, the unsealed ceramic bearing should be more durable in a high-heat environment than a sealed metal bearing. Since Porsche does not sell replacement bearings, however, one has no choice but to go to an aftermarket supplier and LN seems to be the best choice. Certainly, for those with double-row bearings, I would rule out the Pelican Parts upgrade as it converts the double-row to a single row-sealed metal bearing with a spacer! Regardless, those who think that installing one these bearings is a full-proof answer, had best think again.

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 06-05-2013 at 06:40 AM. Reason: updated information
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
recycledsixtie

Garage
Well I think that is a very fair price of $2400 to get that work done. I was quoted $4400 in my fair city by the indy shop so I have declined their fair offer and will take my chances.

The nature of the Boxster the way I see it is that now you have had that fixed other noises will come up in this magic box and rear their ugly little heads.Other scenarios present themselves which you can choose to fix or ignore. One alternative car is a Toyota Camry or Corolla which is virtually 100% reliable and definitely 100% boring.
Driving to my golf course yesterday I pretty much knew that my car (2001 Box base)
would be the best looking car in the parking lot. The black beauty never fails to draw attention. Drive on .....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #12

Seems a very fair price indeed. Although I am waiting for when I need to replace the clutch, I inquired last year and was quoted approximately $3000.00 and $3200.00 for clutch plus LN IMS bearing at a couple of indy shops in the Toronto area.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster Nut View Post
Good luck with your bearing replacements guys. I feel like I should be scared with a '98 and 86K on the clock.

Dave it would be very interesting to see the bearing condition. Maybe your shop could cut it in half for inspection?

With a '98 you have very little to worry about. Double row bearings have less than a 1% failure rate according to Porsche. I'm not a gambling man but I'll take those odds any day ! Relax, enjoy the car and change your IMSB when a new clutch is needed .
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
Vista glass

Garage
That is a fair price,for that work. Actually it is inexpensive for the peace of mind it will bring. Now you can drive as you wish. Had pretty much the same procedures performed in that price range on my 98 with 70+K. I have not heard of any LN failures when properly installed. My original IMS bearing looked OK. We were going in for the clutch so the additional cost was for IMSB parts only. The shop was to send it back to LN for their analysis.
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Head View Post
With a '98 you have very little to worry about. Double row bearings have less than a 1% failure rate according to Porsche. I'm not a gambling man but I'll take those odds any day ! Relax, enjoy the car and change your IMSB when a new clutch is needed .
Thanks Meat Head,

I feel a little better now, but I always enjoy the car.
8mm/12mm Spacers w/Chrome Lugs
Debadged
Boxster Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post

So Dave,

Let us know how the operation turns out.

Just wonderin'............

TO

Last edited by TeamOxford; 06-05-2013 at 04:26 PM.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
So Dave,

How did the operation turn out?

Just wonderin'............

TO
Pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I'll bring the old bearing home and take some photos. I'm guessing it will look fine, but it's still worth the peace of mind.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #18

Garage
Dave S - I can vouch 110% for Mark and the work his shop does. He has looked after my Audi/Porsche cars for over 5 years now and am very thankful to have found him. I am sure you will be happy with the results. He has a Boxster too with a 911 motor dropped in and PSS9's, just dont take up his offer to drive it or you will be back for more work on your car
gthompson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthompson999 View Post
Dave S - I can vouch 110% for Mark and the work his shop does. He has looked after my Audi/Porsche cars for over 5 years now and am very thankful to have found him. I am sure you will be happy with the results. He has a Boxster too with a 911 motor dropped in and PSS9's, just dont take up his offer to drive it or you will be back for more work on your car
I was impressed by his shop and it's about as close to my house as I could ask for living up in Pine Junction. He did offer to let me drive his 3.6 liter boxster and if it's there when I pick up my car tomorrow I'll do it. He told me that it isn't a 911 motor, but instead a boxster motor rebuilt to 3.6 liters. Sounds interesting.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #20

Garage
Ahh I got that wrong on the 911 motor, didn't realize. It is still very sweet. I hope your car surgery went well today!

gthompson999 is offline   Reply With Quote