986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Another squeal thread...with video/audio (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/46307-another-squeal-thread-video-audio.html)

particlewave 06-04-2013 12:22 PM

Another squeal thread...with video/audio

The car has had this odd squeal sound for about 1.5 years. It only happens once in a great while and only when accelerating from a stop(fast or slow) in first gear when the engine hasn't fully warmed up. I was lucky to catch it on video yesterday, so I thought I'd post it to see if anyone knows this sound. I realize that getting to the root of the problem is going to take some hands on investigation, but any ideas on where to start would be appreciated.

I also have a CEL which popped up 5 months ago...codes for secondary air injection P1411 and P0410, but this sound started a good year before the CEL, so I'm not sure if they are related.

Video of squeal.

Thanks in advance for any info ;)

ohhh my 06-05-2013 12:41 AM

lol. Funny sounding squeal.

Free bump.

stephen wilson 06-05-2013 06:59 AM

Does it only squeal when you are letting out the clutch?

CoBeerToad 06-05-2013 08:52 AM

Sounds like a belt or maybe a pulley? Tough to tell from the video.

particlewave 06-05-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen wilson (Post 345970)
Does it only squeal when you are letting out the clutch?

Yes and no...sometimes it squeals as the clutch is let out, sometimes immediately after. I originally thought it was the clutch, but I have not noticed the clutch slipping at all and it doesn't sound like the clutch to me, but I'm no expert.

I suppose it's about time to start tearing into things. :(

perksy 06-07-2013 02:11 PM

I'd say clutch release bearing.

My wife's mini did exactly this, not all the time - just now and then. After a new clutch kit was fitted it went.

particlewave 06-08-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perksy (Post 346385)
I'd say clutch release bearing.

My wife's mini did exactly this, not all the time - just now and then. After a new clutch kit was fitted it went.

I've considered this as well. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side, though. Hopefully I'll have time to do some investigating soon. I've been hesitant since it rarely happens and I don't particularly want to go replacing parts blindly trying to track it down.

coolbreeze551 06-12-2013 10:49 PM

My 01 non-S is making the same noise now and again. Not sure if it's one of the fans or a pulley/alternator. I'm having a dip in idle RPM so I'm thinking the latter.

paintboy 06-13-2013 05:10 AM

Could be clutch master. Had that before in a car and that is what it was. Does it do it if you ate idle and just pump the clutch, or under load?

BMAN_986 06-14-2013 12:23 AM

My Secondary Air Injection Pump went and made a similar sound but it was for much longer ... (I've been told that) the unit only comes on to warm up the cats upon starting the car and then never again. I don't think that is your problem.

More 06-14-2013 08:48 PM

Mines makes a similar noise but only when I take off hard and fast from standing point.

:confused: