Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Blake

Please Help!!! Car won't idle or rev after I cleared codes

Hey guys I just purchased a 2000 Boxster S with 62,XXX miles on the clock and on the PPI they said it needed the 60k service and a oil air separator. I decided to perform all the work myself Plugs, belt, air filters, fuel filter, Oil air separator, Oil change and filter, I also took the throttle body off and cleaned it with carb cleaner. My buddy came over as I was getting done with the car and taking it off the stands and had a OBII code reader that we plugged into the car after the initial startup and cleared the codes since I replaced the oil air separator which had a bad hose causing a vacuum leak and I wanted to see if the CEL would return for any other reasons. The car seem to idle fine before we cleared the codes but didn't try to rev or give it any gas but after we cleared the code he said turn the car off and turn it back on but when I restarted it the car it idled really ruff and won't gas. It seems to idle up and down from 700ish-1200ish. I can barely press the gas and get a smooth idle at 1000-1200ish but won't take any more gas then that. Note that we took the battery negative off for 20 mins hoping that would reset the computer or whatever is causing the erratic idle and throttle not being responsive. Thanks in advance

Topdown986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown986 View Post
Hey guys I just purchased a 2000 Boxster S with 62,XXX miles on the clock and on the PPI they said it needed the 60k service and a oil air separator. I decided to perform all the work myself Plugs, belt, air filters, fuel filter, Oil air separator, Oil change and filter, I also took the throttle body off and cleaned it with carb cleaner. My buddy came over as I was getting done with the car and taking it off the stands and had a OBII code reader that we plugged into the car after the initial startup and cleared the codes since I replaced the oil air separator which had a bad hose causing a vacuum leak and I wanted to see if the CEL would return for any other reasons. The car seem to idle fine before we cleared the codes but didn't try to rev or give it any gas but after we cleared the code he said turn the car off and turn it back on but when I restarted it the car it idled really ruff and won't gas. It seems to idle up and down from 700ish-1200ish. I can barely press the gas and get a smooth idle at 1000-1200ish but won't take any more gas then that. Note that we took the battery negative off for 20 mins hoping that would reset the computer or whatever is causing the erratic idle and throttle not being responsive. Thanks in advance
DME Adaptation:
1. Switch the ignition on for 1 minute without starting the engine. Do not actuate accelerator pedal, be sure pedal is in the rest position (make sure the floor mat is not pushing on the accelerator).
2. Switch off the ignition for at least 10 seconds.

Let us know what happens.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Blake

Thanks for the help I called Porsche and told them what I did and they said you can't mess up the ecu like but it sounded like the mass air flow sensor is bad from the oil air separator so I opened the engine compartment back up and started messing around in there only to find out that the throttle body connector was unhooked when I started back tracking everything I had done. Guess that's what I get for working till 4:00 in the morning lol. Plugged it up and now she runs like a dream again

Topdown986 is offline   Reply With Quote