986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Adding a turbo to my boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/46260-adding-turbo-my-boxster.html)

Darinrichards 06-02-2013 07:32 AM

Adding a turbo to my boxster?

Hey guys what's up. I just recently purchased a boxster and thought I'd join this forum. I have a friend who has a turbo in his car with a really loud blow off valve and I like the way it sounds. So my question is can I add a turbo to my boxster and get a simar sound? If so which brands are the best?

Zedcat 06-02-2013 07:55 AM

TPC Racing, bring lots of cash....

Crono0001 06-02-2013 07:58 AM

I like how you want a turbo just for the sound.

Not for the speed, or the thrill of the turbo kick, or the impatience of turbo lag, or the chances of cracked cylinder walls.

Get a turbo for the *ksh* sound.

Trolling aside, cylinder walls are too thin for most Boxsters. Supercharger is better. Engine replacement is your best bet. Neither will give you the *ksh*

Darinrichards 06-02-2013 08:53 AM

How much cash we talking?

fatmike 06-02-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darinrichards (Post 345511)

I love this thread.

It starts with "I just bought a Porsche", then we get to "How much cash we talking" after 3 posts...

;)

/

Zedcat 06-02-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darinrichards (Post 345511)

Google "TPC racing" for their website. I think the kit is like 7k. Not a simple install and M96 motor not really a great candidate for turbocharging. The 911 turbo used a much different motor.

I like the sound of an NA flat six. If you're mainly interested in sound, suggest consider a cat back exhaust. lots cheaper and easier.

Rickinduncan 06-02-2013 10:07 AM

Or buy a *ksh*soundtrack CD. Play it loud.

tnoice 06-02-2013 11:08 AM

On ebay and Amazon they have speakers that go under the hood that will make the "ksh" sound. I would suggest that.......or....go sell your boxster and buy a old eclipse GST. Then you can reenact the fast and the furious and not ruin a good Porsche.

Topless 06-02-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickinduncan (Post 345521)
Or buy a *ksh*soundtrack CD. Play it loud.

^^^ This!

Darinrichards 06-02-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnoice (Post 345530)
On ebay and Amazon they have speakers that go under the hood that will make the "ksh" sound. I would suggest that.......or....go sell your boxster and buy a old eclipse GST. Then you can reenact the fast and the furious and not ruin a good Porsche.

I'm good on the speakers thanks. I don't think adding a turbo to a boxster would ruin it at all. Nor do I want reenact anything from a movie I've never seen. Thanks for the input.

tranceatlantic 06-22-2013 04:30 AM

Hi Darin

Welcome to the forum! Don't let the charm and inept use of sarcasm of our users put you off. Forced induction on these engines is not that common but there are a few who have tried it. TPC is the main vendor I think and they do charge a pretty penny because they don't expect to sell many. Others may have a different view on what is the main difficultly you will face, but here is my opinion. Very few people have cracked the ECU program and can get into the programming. This is required to match the fuel supply to the increased air flow. Work-around methods include having an additional fuel injector driven by a piggy back computer like an SMT6 or similar. That is the method I'm going down with the supercharger I'm working on installing. And when it's done I'm also going to see about getting a big-ass BOV if poss just like my wife's VW Bora 1.8T.

Let me know if you decided to go down that road and good luck

Dave

Mark_T 06-22-2013 06:32 AM

Actually, I think he should let the charm and sarcasm of our experienced and knowledgeable users put him off. I mean, seriously, going to the trouble and expense of installing a turbo charger just because "it makes a cool sound", despite being told (by the people from whom he solicited advice let's remember) that the motor wasn't designed for that and will likely grenade?

Tnoice called it.

Crono0001 06-22-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 348321)
Actually, I think he should let the charm and sarcasm of our experienced and knowledgeable users put him off. I mean, seriously, going to the trouble and expense of installing a turbo charger just because "it makes a cool sound", despite being told (by the people from whom he solicited advice let's remember) that the motor wasn't designed for that and will likely grenade?

Tnoice called it.

Alternatively, we could just let him dump tons of cash and blow his engine.
Considering the alternative, one might call our sarcasm "friendly advice"

ChrisZang 06-22-2013 07:50 AM

Not sure if Turbokraft (or Turbowerks) is still around. They also made two different turbo packages for the 986

j.fro 06-22-2013 05:33 PM

Here's the link for TPC
http://www.tpcracing.com/tpc-racing-986-boxster-stage-1-turbo-kit.html
Looks like $7500 gets you the kit, but you'll need 987 exhaust manifolds and some custom work to the trans mounts. If not DIY, I'm thinking 10K installed.

Topless 06-22-2013 06:36 PM

Let's be completely honest for a second. A 986 can and has been both supercharged and turbocharged in the past and it can be done again in the future. The problem is, 95% of the guys who did it, tried to do it on the cheap and their motors grenaded within 3 months. The other 5% were more of a science project with a bunch of "creative" solutions to A/F ratio and tuning. They also had to carefully monitor the car at all times to avoid excessive heat and cylinder pressure to prevent the motor from grenading. So they spent $8-10K on FI only to drive it around on eggshells to keep it together. No track days, no driving the car to the ragged edge because if they did... pop goes the weasel.

Is this really why someone spends $10k on FI? So they can drive it around on eggshells and present their HP dyno slip at cars & coffee? :rolleyes: There a dozen shops over on suxspeed that just love these guys because they know it is a long term cash cow for their shop until the driver runs out of money.

If you really want to do it, do it right. Bring a boatload of money ($30k), build the motor for FI from the ground up, have a bunch of cooling capacity added, and have it carefully tuned by a performance shop that prepares and campaigns a lot of FI Porsche race cars.

My 2c. Others will surely disagree.

rp17 06-23-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darinrichards (Post 345504)
Hey guys what's up. I just recently purchased a boxster and thought I'd join this forum. I have a friend who has a turbo in his car with a really loud blow off valve and I like the way it sounds. So my question is can I add a turbo to my boxster and get a simar sound? If so which brands are the best?

Welcome to the forum Darin. From what I've heard, some people have put turbo on there cars, eventhough our engine is not quite designed for it. So it takes a few mods and dollars for it to work. But if your looking for more speed and not the blow off valve, there are ways to make it faster also but none of the options are cheap. Bigger engine for a 911 of the same year is a good option. TPC as stated by others has a good system with all the bugs figured out I guess. But I would recommend that they do the install.

Anyway lets see some pictures of this Boxster you have. What color and year is it? This forum likes pictures. Welcome :cheers: