986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Spark plug or cam cover leak (pics included) (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/46248-spark-plug-cam-cover-leak-pics-included.html)

Ckrikos 06-01-2013 04:49 PM

Spark plug or cam cover leak (pics included)

3 Attachment(s)
I recently had a 60k mile service where the spark plugs were changed, rms, and clutch. I recently noticed a puff of smoke coming out of the driver side rear wheel well every so often. I also smell burning oil from that side as well. Here are some pics. The other side is completely dry.

Attachment 17382Attachment 17383Attachment 17384

What do you all think? It's not losing much oil but I don't recall the smell prior to the service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bmod986 06-01-2013 05:55 PM

Did the dealer do the service or did you do it your self. If the dealer did it then go tell them they didn't tighten something in the spark plug area.

I had the same oil pattern on mine because of the o rings around the spark plug tubes were not seated properly. This was after I had replaced them. Went back to it and fixed it. No more leak.

shadrach74 06-01-2013 06:16 PM

Give it a good clean and then look for the source with the car warmed and idling. I almost dove into my cam covers but it turned out to be an oil pressure switch that was leaking through through the blade connector, filling the rubber switch cover and then dripping on the passenger side primary cat. I would exhaust all other possibilities first because if you tear into it or pay to have someone else tear into it and find that the cam cover is not the problem you're going to be sorry...

Ckrikos 06-01-2013 06:26 PM

I'm going to take it back to the shop to fix it. It's been 3 months but I drive so infrequently that I just noticed it. I think it's the plugs because it appears to only be wet from the plugs down and on the far left and right ones.

Wret 06-02-2013 06:57 AM

Spark plug tube gaskets are much more likely to fail than cam cover seals. Without evidence pointing one way or the other, I'd look there first. It's not a difficult DIY job costing less than $100 in parts.

Ckrikos 06-02-2013 12:25 PM

I pulled the wheel this morning and couldn't find the source of the leak. It appears to just be around the bottom right on and around certain screws. I need to look behind the area pictured and above it. Is there anything around there that could be the cause of the leak?

Wret 06-02-2013 05:55 PM

The problem is that leaking oil spreads and seeps to cover large areas. Leave it running for a while, long enough to drip. Use an extending magnetic parts retriever or some other device from the oil spot on the ground to identify the leaking area. X marks the spot.