Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #1

Central Locking System- need some help

Ok I have just started to troubleshoot this, but here are the issues:

- central locking light n dash red light on
-when I unlock car horn beeps twice
- horn works intermittently
-passenger door window does not move down when door is opened
-steering wheel locks intermittently
-starter bendix sometimes sticks on first start if day(probably unrelated but didn't know if starter energized longer than necessary couldncause this)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #2

Couple of thoughts....

The double beep means there is a problem (fault) with the central locking system. This is different than the single beep which means something isn't closed fully.

The passenger window not dropping could be a couple of things. One, the regulator might be broken. This causes slack in the cabling so the window doesn't drop when the door is opened. Two, the sensor in the door locking mechanism might be reading an incorrect position. Third, the central locking unit itself may not be communicating with the window and / or door.

The best way to diagnose further is to read the fault codes. If you're near an autozone, they might do this for you for free. If you have a Durametic cable or know someone who does, then you can read the codes. It might take two tries. Read the codes first, write them down and then clear. Then when another fault occurs, read it. The second reading will likely be more indicative of the problem than the first.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
The double beep means there is a problem (fault) with the central locking system. This is different than the single beep which means something isn't closed fully.
Mine started doing this on about day 3 of ownership, which was only a few weeks ago. Figured I needed to read the manual, and set it to some sort of different mode.

After some searching, apparently, the interior storage compartment has a sensor, and mine doesn't really snap closed very well. Especially after accidentally slamming it shut a few times trying to get at my garage door opener while driving. How's yours feel? Maybe try pushing down on it, or placing a weight over the area and see if you get the double beep. I might try this today and will report back.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:39 AM   #4

thank you everyone for the feedback. I will try a few different things and report back.

dennis is offline   Reply With Quote