Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #1

New center caps

I got this in the mail today and love it. $25 on ebay.

Great improvement on looks and there is more to come. Im waiting for stuff in the mail so as I receive them I will post the pics.

Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Newb

They caps are a big improvement. That's quite a bit of curb rash all around the edge. I think there are some companies that can renew that for you. I need to do my center caps as well at some point.
2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #3

Garage
And paint those lugbolts!!
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

Curb rash was caused by an a******** who came on to my lane full speed without warning so I mounted the curb to avoid getting hit. I explained this in one of my previous threads. But it doesn't bother me as much any more. Eventually I will fix it.

As for the lug nuts I will eventually get new ones. I have been trying to get a set since I got the car but other more curial parts need to be replaced. And considering the massive amount of time and money I spent on the last repair I have to wait a bit for them.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #5

I just got what appears to be exactly the same caps in the mail yesterday. $19 for mine!

I replaced some ebay cheapos I bought a couple of years ago. The old set was always loose and and seemed like they would fall out. The NEW ones are VERY tight.

4x75mm Porsche Alloy Wheel Centre Caps Boxster Cayman Cayenne 911 Turbom HUB4309 | eBay

Last edited by Wret; 06-01-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #6

Wret...that's what she said.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Need For Speed

Garage
If your caps are in good shape you can just replace the emblem also.

Here is one of the listing, but make sure you buy the correct size badges for your cap.

Porsche Rim Wheel Center Hub Cap Emblem Badge 987 996 997 911 Boxster Cayman S | eBay
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #8

who makes that stuff ? Aren't those things trademarked? You guys are so brave-I'm the world's biggest skeptic and would assume they'd disintegrate soon after I installed them and would have no recourse to get my money back. Hell, it's tough enough to get a refund with big, KNOWN companies, let alone these never-heard-ofs. I've come to believe, at 48 yrs. that Porsche (or Toyota ) makes the highest quality parts for my Porsche and that they'll LAST the longest ( with a few exceptions of course- LN anyone?) and give me the best value in the end. After all, it's quality in design and execution that makes the Boxster what it is - isn't it? Not knocking anyone, just questioning out loud...
Old 06-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I think we can cut some costs on things like center caps. They're not exactly high precision parts

I paid $12 shipped for my center caps and they are excellent. I figured that if they were crap, I'd only be out $12, so why not?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I think we can cut some costs on things like center caps. They're not exactly high precision parts

I paid $12 shipped for my center caps and they are excellent. I figured that if they were crap, I'd only be out $12, so why not?

Well the center caps were cheap enough to indulge in. I want to buy the spacers along with the lug nuts so it would cost around $320 from RSS. I did order other stuff though, I needed two new coil packs and three spark plugs so ya.

As far as y I bought these center caps in particular. I spent a few months debating how they would look, what would be the quality, and if they will look oem. And after receiving them I can say its all good. I love them. The seller was autotecpartsusa on Ebay
4pc Silver Gold Porsche Wheel Center Cap Cayman Panamera Boxster 911 993 996 997 | eBay

Last edited by Bmod986; 06-01-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I checked my eBay account and I paid $22, not $12...oops
Still cheap, though.

Mine look exactly like the set you bought, except they are monochrome(silver/black). I'm very happy with the quality and fit.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #12

Garage
I have bought Ebay center caps myself. Have to say I am very pleased and satisfied over the past 5 months.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #13

I bought a set in march from ebay. 24bucks I think. They look a heck of a lot better than the originals.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #14

I purchased a set of those colored wheel caps to replace the black & white caps I had. For less than $25.00, I cannot complain.
Bmod986, as for the curb rash. You should of seen the 17inch OEM turbo twist wheels on my 99 Boxster when I bought it. The guys who owned it before me never missed a curb (all four wheels were so bad, that when I went to get tires the dealer made a point to highlight how beat up they were).
I about a year ago purhased four OEM 17 inch wheels with four brand new tires mounted for $420.00 from a guy in Dallas.

Cheers,
MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
........... I've come to believe, at 48 yrs. that Porsche (or Toyota ) makes the highest quality parts for my Porsche and that they'll LAST the longest ( with a few exceptions of course- LN anyone?) and give me the best value in the end. After all, it's quality in design and execution that makes the Boxster what it is - isn't it? Not knocking anyone, just questioning out loud...
I used to think that too until I got new tires for my 2007 Toyota Tundra last fall. I took the truck to Costco and when they removed the center caps, all four disintegrated. They paid for the replacements to the tune of $160.

Bmod, the new caps look great!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #16

Garage
I bought a set off ebay with painted centers $35 they look great very satisfied.
mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #17

Hi guys, anybody know where I can get just the Gold emblems for cheap that will fit in the recessed part of the actual caps? I dont want to spend 200-300 for originals, my caps are fine, just the emblems are faded. I have the original "twist" Alloy wheels on my 986 Boxster. The emblem measures approximately:

Width (Top part widest) 1 7/16"- 1 3/8"

Height (Furthest point) 1 7/8"

If anybody knows where, can you post a link on here? I looked on ebay, and a coupoe of places sell them, but they are of a bigger variation. Thanks in advance guys!
HELLAS59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #18
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Wret...that's what she said.
LOL!!! Great minds think alike.
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
imari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #19

Anybody know where to get the 986 wheel cap EMBLEMS only????

Wret & heliguy 😂😂😂
HELLAS59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLAS59 View Post
Hi guys, anybody know where I can get just the Gold emblems for cheap that will fit in the recessed part of the actual caps? I dont want to spend 200-300 for originals, my caps are fine, just the emblems are faded. I have the original "twist" Alloy wheels on my 986 Boxster. The emblem measures approximately:

Width (Top part widest) 1 7/16"- 1 3/8"

Height (Furthest point) 1 7/8"

If anybody knows where, can you post a link on here? I looked on ebay, and a coupoe of places sell them, but they are of a bigger variation. Thanks in advance guys!
Just buy the replacements off eBay. Why would you want to mess around with glueing new crests and hoping they stick. Gezz for $25 get the ones off eBay.... I did that 2 years ago and they look great. I did spray a coat of clear coat on them just to make sure they were fully sealed.

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote