986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   For anyone interested in BOSE!GREAT DEAL (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4614-anyone-interested-bose-great-deal.html)

blinkwatt 12-27-2005 09:37 PM

For anyone interested in BOSE!GREAT DEAL

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=a m3_virtuallyinvisible_index

$189,free shipping, can not beat that.

Buy 3 of those and you have a 6.1(technically 6.3 because the speaker termincals are ran through the woofers) speakers system for under $580 from BOSE. Buy a decent receiver from Yamaha,Kenwood,Pioneer for $175 and your neighbors will come over to watch everything. If anyone is going to do this please let me know and I will fly to your house. Im short of money for awhile otherwise I would do it.

luxury1 12-28-2005 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=a m3_virtuallyinvisible_index

$189,free shipping, can not beat that.

Buy 3 of those and you have a 6.1(technically 6.3 because the speaker termincals are ran through the woofers) speakers system for under $580 from BOSE. Buy a decent receiver from Yamaha,Kenwood,Pioneer for $175 and your neighbors will come over to watch everything. If anyone is going to do this please let me know and I will fly to your house. Im short of money for awhile otherwise I would do it.

A little off topic but I agree that this is a good deal. I am building a house and am having the Bose invisable speakers installed in the ceiling. Currently I have surround with the bookshelf speakers and when you play Top Gun (classic demo) you can actually feel the planes take off. It is really incredible :)

pecto3 12-28-2005 09:42 PM

I agree, its a little off topic but i need to post a reply for this. i think its a great deal though. however, for years, i've been a big fan of bose. i thought they have the cleanest sound of them all, but then again, the more i get myself expose to other speaker systems, the more i learned that bose especially the acoustimass system is lacking a very important sound range. those small cubic speakers are too small to bring out midrange sound (cannot reproduce good snare drum sound) and too big to become a tweeter horn and cannot reproduce sound of maybe up to 20KHz. the bose subwoofer cannot fill the midrange sound and cannot reproduce low rumbling sound. BTW, this are all subjective observations, however, have you guys noticed that bose manual dont print their technical specification datas???

I installed acoustimass 10 at my brothers home, i was quite happy about the sound, clean and decent, but need to add another subwoofer for that very much needed oomph!

i actually learned this stuff from HT forums. so i made a research and i came across with the brand name of speakers called wharfedale. these systems received rave reviews for their quality and build. so right now, im using wharfedale all around, bought the cheapest receiver that has THX select capability and the difference from my brother's set up was outstanding. He spent tons of money with his AV system and i spent maybe like a third of his'. im using a projector btw with 110 inch screen. i think that is my best investment ever 2nd to the boxster LOL!!!

the only advantage i see using bose system is its size, my wharfedale's have the size of regular speaker box. it uses tons of space for a small home that i have but what the heck! anyway...just my 2 cents.

luxury1 12-29-2005 05:27 AM

You are right, many people feel that Bose are average speakers that are marketed well and overpriced. The true audiophiles would never use them. Even within the car market there has been discussions about this. The Boxsters cabin is so small that virtually any sound system will do the trick but recently Mercedes has ditched Bose for Harmon Kardon for their sedans because Bose wasn't doing the trick. Admittedly I have the Harmon Kardon in my E and while it is good, it doesn't produce at the highest volume levels.

Dr. Kill 12-30-2005 10:09 AM

I also agree. I think Bose sounds good, but not great, and especially not at the prices they ask. I will keep my Polk Audio gear.

blinkwatt 12-30-2005 11:27 AM

Quick Review of the AM3 Speaker package.
i just swapped out my front left and rigth speakers(Kenwood 307s) with the AM 3 speakers. To my suprise they sound almost exactly the same,but the AM 3 carry the highs a knotch better. The "woofer" that was included was basically a joke as it did not push much out,thankfully I can used my old sub powered subwoofer with it at the same time. The desing of the AM 3 speakers are sleek and neat looking,I dont know if it is worth the $200 I spent though.