986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Newly acquired '05 Boxster S - what needs to be done? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/46019-newly-acquired-05-boxster-s-what-needs-done.html)

sirmoog 05-22-2013 05:32 AM

Newly acquired '05 Boxster S - what needs to be done?

Hi,
I recently purchased an '05 Boxster S 6-speed with 60K mileage. It has a clean Carfax, and looks great all around, but I don't have a good sense of the amount or extent of preventive maintenance that was done historically, or if there were any major repairs that had been addressed. My first plan of attack is to have my local German car mechanic do a thorough inspection and change the oil. Other than that, I'm not really sure how to best approach things, so here are my questions for this learned panel:
1) Are there any things which tend to fail with frequency on these cars at about this mileage? If there were, I'd make sure to have these areas inspected.

2) If you acquired a car like this, would there be any other preventative maintenance you'd do right away?

Thanks to all!

Grim1ock77 05-22-2013 05:52 AM

At that milage it is due for the 60,000 mile maintenance. If you don't have any record of this; then that is where I would start. Off the top of my head that would include:

-Spark Plugs
-Oil Change
-Water Pump
-Air Filter
-Cabin Filter
-Serpentine Belt

Hope this helps, if you have any records of these being done, then I would do the rest.

husker boxster 05-22-2013 05:54 AM

Brake fluid flush. They're recommended every 2 yrs.

How bout some pics?

Flavor 987S 05-22-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirmoog (Post 343780)
Hi,
I recently purchased an '05 Boxster S 6-speed with 60K mileage. It has a clean Carfax, and looks great all around, but I don't have a good sense of the amount or extent of preventive maintenance that was done historically, or if there were any major repairs that had been addressed. My first plan of attack is to have my local German car mechanic do a thorough inspection and change the oil. Other than that, I'm not really sure how to best approach things, so here are my questions for this learned panel:
1) Are there any things which tend to fail with frequency on these cars at about this mileage? If there were, I'd make sure to have these areas inspected.

2) If you acquired a car like this, would there be any other preventative maintenance you'd do right away?

Thanks to all!

Congrats on the new purchase. But, you should have done this before buying it. This list you received from Grim and Sirmoog is spot on.

sirmoog 05-22-2013 06:35 AM

Thanks all, great responses.
Any ballpark on costs for Grim1ock77's list?
Much appreciated,
Mark

Flavor 987S 05-22-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirmoog (Post 343786)
Much appreciated,
Mark

Part only? Parts & labor?? Indy or dealership??? What part of the country are you in????

My WAG at an indy shop (parts & labor):

-Spark Plugs $300ish
-Oil Change $200ish
-Water Pump $700ish
-Air Filter do it your self- filter only is about $32
-Cabin Filter do it yourself- filter only is about $67 with active charcoal
-Serpentine Belt $200ish

Grim1ock77 05-22-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirmoog (Post 343786)
Much appreciated,
Mark

Parts should not be too bad, labor is the killer on the list. All of it can be handled on your own (look at the diy section or check out pelican parts tutorials). I would do what you are comfortable with and find an independent shop that you trust to do the rest.

sirmoog 05-22-2013 09:22 AM

Sorry, I should have specified. Yes, I have a good indy shop which I use for my BMWs, have used for my Audi and Saab vehicles in the past. I can handle some simple things, but most will need to go to the mechanic. Thanks for all your help. As soon as I snap the photos, I will post them!

Ckrikos 05-22-2013 09:52 AM

At 60k your brakes should be ok, you should be on the original rotors and second set of pads. The rotors will be forming a lip at that mileage and will be 10-20k before needing replacement. Are the tires ok? I just replaced mine, 2nd set at 50k miles (fronts were originals).

I'm not sure if the IMS bearing can be replaced on a 987, but it should be checked if you are changing out the clutch.

Flavor 987S 05-22-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckrikos (Post 343808)
I'm not sure if the IMS bearing can be replaced on a 987, but it should be checked if you are changing out the clutch.

Good point. On an early build 2005, it should have a serviceable IMS. A quick search and engine code sent to Jake would confirm either way.

dghii 05-22-2013 11:13 AM

Although I agree with performing a 60K service, I would take a little time to get to know your car first. You are ready to change the oil/filter I presume because you don't know when they were done last. No problem there. But before charging off, why don't you open your engine compartment and take a look around? an hour or two will tell you alot about your car and help you familiarize yourself with some of the mechanical bits without diving in too deep.

Put your top in the service position and access the top of your engine. Take your air filter out and inspect. If filthy, replace, if it looks good, blow it out with a little compressed air and put it back in. A can of mass airflow cleaner would be great to have on hand to spray off the mass air sensor (located in same area as your air fliter). Same goes for cabin filter. If items look good, it may be an indication that the car has had some maintenance performed (good!) If not, well, you are justified in spending a few bucks on new filters.

The serpentine belt is an easy driveway maintenance item and inexpensive part. While you have the belt off, you can spin and tug on pullys to look for play or listen for unusual noise. Replace the belt and keep your old one as a spare if it isn't dried or cracked.

Check your fluids...brake, collant, oil for proper levels. Do have your brake fuild flushed my your mechanic. This maintenance is often overlooked but important in taking care of your car.

If you car runs great, why change the plugs right now? Most likely, you will not notice one bit of difference.

I wouldn't touch the water pump (yet). If there is no noise, no dripping, no leaks, what is the point? A new pump sounds like great preventative maintenance, and I know some have had pump failures between 60-80K miles, but many have not.

When you do have the car up for an oil change, make sure to have the mechanic check the CV boots for tears, which is common on the cars.

You may need the money for something that comes up with your car that you are not aware of yet (tires, brakes, rotors, any electronic or mechanical gremlins that raise there head).

I hope you enjoy your new car!

thstone 05-22-2013 11:44 AM

^^ What dghii said. Very good advice.

sirmoog 05-22-2013 02:50 PM

Thanks, great advice. I do trust my mechanic, he's taken care of my BMW for years.
I would like to hear more about this "IMS" thing as mentioned. Is this a recall/service bulletin issue for which I should specifically ask?
By the way, here is some info on the 60000 mile maintenance.
Here is what Edmunds says about the aforementioned service recommendation:
Part Cost
Brake fluid $11.20
Cabin air filter $36.60
Engine oil $71.39
Oil filter $15.90
Serpentine belt $49.40
Spark plugs $32.40
Total Estimated Parts Cost: $216.89
Labor Action Item Cost
Inspect Air conditioning system $5.04
Flush/replace Brake fluid $35.28
Inspect Brake lines, hoses & connections $1.01
Check fluid level Brake master cylinder $1.01
Inspect Brake system $15.12
Inspect CV joints $3.02
Replace Cabin air filter $15.12
Inspect Clutch $2.52
Inspect Coolant $1.01
Inspect Cooling system hoses & connections $5.04
Inspect boots & seals Drive axles $5.04
Inspect Drive belt(s) $1.51
Check operation Electrical equipment $10.08
Change Engine oil $18.14
Inspect Exhaust system $2.52
Inspect Fluid levels $2.52
Inspect Fuel system $5.04
Inspect Hinges, locks & latches $2.52
Check operation Lighting $5.04
Replace Oil filter $5.04
Check On-board diagnosis system $10.08
Inspect Parking brake $2.52
Check level Power steering fluid $1.01
Perform Road test $5.04
Inspect Seat belts $2.52
Replace Serpentine belt $15.12
Replace Spark plugs $60.48
Inspect Steering $5.04
Inspect Throttle system $7.56
Inspect Tie rod ends $2.52
Inspect Underbody $2.52
Inspect Wheels & tires $4.03
Check fluid level Windshield washer $1.01
Total Estimated Labor Cost: $261.07
Total Estimated Costs
Total Estimated Parts Cost For Your Area $216.89
Total Estimated Labor Cost For Your Area $261.07
Total Estimated Cost (excluding tax)*: $477.96

dghii 05-22-2013 07:13 PM

I sure don't know about the labor quote.
As for parts, I think its a little high if you shop around. Spark Plugs prices are a little low. Serpentine belt is under around $30.
Oil filter is $10
Oil can be had for less if you watch for sales...I usually end up around $5/liter for Castrol syntec 10w40.

Don't see engine air filter...~$15

dagdisco03 05-23-2013 04:57 AM

I have to agree the Edmund's labor cost are crazy talk. If you had a Chevy Cruz you would be paying more then what is listed there. I think they must be doing some sort of time cost avg to come up with those numbers. I like Edmund's and always use it while shopping for cars. But those labor cost are simply not realistic. Also for parts they my be generic pricing based on avg spark plug cost for all cars not car specific. I have not bought plugs for the Box yet but in my BMW's I'd be hard pressed to find plugs online for under $15 a piece. I think you would have to find a bargain cheap plug to fit the car at $5.33 each. Your in lawn mower plug cost. Figure first year cost to make the car right if you don't have records 3K to 6K with some of that as diy to lower total cost. I bet your Indy will do an oil change and spark plug change for $800 out the door for example. Same thing diy can be done for $175.

sirmoog 05-23-2013 05:10 AM

Roger that!

rondocap 05-23-2013 05:13 AM

Research ims issues more - the 05 Boxsters seem to have the highest rates of failure for 987 cars.

southernstar 05-23-2013 05:25 AM

IMO, dghii's post is spot on the money. When having your oil changed I would ask the mechanic to cut open your oil filter to check for particles of metal/plastic. I would also consider purchasing a magnetic drain plug. Otherwise, there is noting I can add.

Cheers!

sirmoog 05-25-2013 06:09 AM

Will post photos soon. Car arrived in good order, really nice condition (as predicted). I will follow through with the recommendations of this post. Hopefully this 2005, which seems to be later in the model year, and came out of Stutgard, won't suffer the IMS problem. I'll also try to drive it like I stole it!