Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #1

Hazard lights

Hope some can help. I searched this before and thought I found the answer but can't seem to find it again.

After setting the alarm, I'll walk away from the car. Then I'll have a co-worker come by and tell me my hazards are on. Walk out to the car and they're not on. Mind you this doesn't just happen once but a few times already (getting kinda embarrassing). I've also noticed that at times my door lock switch will illuminate even though I never touched it.

I thought I searched and found out that it may be a micro switch in the door. But which one? I think there are 3 different ones and each cures a different symptom.

Help!

Sanford_yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:48 AM   #2

Garage
I know I have some gremlins in my electrical. When I drive more than 10-15 miles, the alarm will set. It happens when I'm driving so I don't notice. (My alarm horn is inop and now disconnected.) Then when I park and try to get out, the doors are obviously locked and the alarm goes off. I've never had the alarm go off on it's own, but I'm hoping your answer may satisfy my problem as well. Or maybe get me on the right track.

Also when I put the top up or down or when I roll the windows up or down there is a 70% chance the de-icer button lights up. With a plastic rear window, it don't affect much other than a light coming on, but it is annoying.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #3

Random electrical issues = early symptoms of ignition switch failure.

Fortunately, it's a quick and inexpensive fix. Just don't wait too long, as it doesn't get better in time and if left untreated can develop into some seriously weird stuff happening to your car.

I've replaced mine 3 times and have the stories to prove it...

/
Old 05-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
Random electrical issues = early symptoms of ignition switch failure.

I've replaced mine 3 times and have the stories to prove it...
/
I've heard that before, but the PO had swapped it out previously so I figured it was something else. Did not know this was an ongoing issue. Does LN engineering have an upgrade?

I'll look into swapping it out soon. Thanks.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote