986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   She's finally back..... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45735-shes-finally-back.html)

EssexPorsche 05-13-2013 02:02 AM

She's finally back.....

....ok, i know this is technically a 'show and tell' thread but i am soooo pleased to have it back. Restored to full original glory.

6 weeks in the body shop, full bare metal respray. New nuts bolts rivets brackets, clamps etc etc.

Totally stock and now not a single stone chip, dink, dent or scrape.

Not eveyones cup of tea but it's rocking my world!http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1368439222.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1368439235.jpg

Meat Head 05-13-2013 02:15 AM

It looks SWEEEEET! Worth the wait.

Penland 05-13-2013 02:47 AM

I wish mine looked that clean!

EssexPorsche 05-13-2013 02:52 AM

Thanks guys, every panel gap has been adjusted for perfection and i am dead fussy about really clean lines, hence the de-badge. Im really please with the result, it certainly got alot of attention on the roads this weekend.

southernstar 05-13-2013 03:28 AM

She does look sensational and, I'm sure, worth the wait!

thstone 05-13-2013 05:09 AM

Very nice! Looks perfect.

Johnny Danger 05-13-2013 05:25 AM

Looks very Shagoir-faire !

EssexPorsche 05-13-2013 05:25 AM

T-man, SS, thanks guys

EssexPorsche 05-13-2013 05:31 AM

JD - that's a ringing endorsement. Cheers :cheers:

BruceH 05-13-2013 06:45 AM

Looks beautiful!

southernstar 05-13-2013 07:04 AM

I'm assuming she is Ocean Blue metallic with Savanna beige interior - my favourite colour scheme for a 986 (OK - mine is the same combo). Let me recommend Dr. Color Chip for the little stone chips and road rash that will eventually occur (I know, you don't want to thnk about that yet). I've had great luck with it - it easy to use, doesn't stand proud like touch ups with match sticks/brushes and the colour match on my car is outstanding.

Now that you have her back (and back in near-new cosmetic condition), enjoy!

Brad

EssexPorsche 05-13-2013 07:16 AM

SS, thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into that.
It's actually Midnight Blue metallic (just poor lighting and an iPhone).
The interior is Monople Blue.
I addressed the IMS in January with the LNE retrofit kit, replaced the RMS and clutch at the same time. Flywheel was fine.

I know there will be other things along the way but thats what you get with any 11 year car, albeit with added P-tax.

You may have spotted the exhaust bypass pipes as well.
Similar to Fister for you guys but I found a place close to me in the UK who performed the surgery. The sound it's incredible to be honest.

I have a long wish list of things to do but I have a long time as well. I don't plan on selling.

Thanks everyone for the kind and positive feedback. It makes it all worth while.

Perfectlap 05-13-2013 07:32 AM

Get thee to the clear bra shop.

The previous owner who only logged 9K miles had it done on my car.
Not one paint chip for nearly 6 years until I swapped bumpers.
There were markings on the clear bra but you really didn't notice them since there was
no paint discoloration. I have a body shop close by that does a pretty good of painting the
bumpers cheap. But the next time I have the metal repainted I'm definitely going to have it done again. Judging by the YouTube clips it sounds like a skill worth picking up because the labor rate to do it is kind of high for a basic panel type car like the 986/996. For a car with more intricate lines, cut-outs, ducting certainly not easy.

Car looks great. If you can get FK 425 polymer spray from FinishKare over there I highly recommend it for dark colored cars. Once you've waxed your car with whatever type of wax you like and its dried fully, the 425 spray leaves a teflon finish for the paint which makes it harder for dirt to stick and easier to clean. Once you've run your fingers across the paint you'll know what I'm talking about. I've not seen that property in any other over the counter or boutique brand detail spray. I buy it by the 1 gallon jug from www.autogeek.net

EssexPorsche 05-13-2013 07:56 AM

Great stuff- thanks PL. sage advice as always .

Michiganstar 05-13-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssexPorsche (Post 342446)
SS, thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into that.
It's actually Midnight Blue metallic (just poor lighting and an iPhone).
The interior is Monople Blue.
I addressed the IMS in January with the LNE retrofit kit, replaced the RMS and clutch at the same time. Flywheel was fine.

I know there will be other things along the way but thats what you get with any 11 year car, albeit with added P-tax.

You may have spotted the exhaust bypass pipes as well.
Similar to Fister for you guys but I found a place close to me in the UK who performed the surgery. The sound it's incredible to be honest.

I have a long wish list of things to do but I have a long time as well. I don't plan on selling.

Thanks everyone for the kind and positive feedback. It makes it all worth while.

Looks lovely, what wax are you using to protect the finish?

Isn't the interior Metropole blue?

EssexPorsche 05-13-2013 11:54 AM

Hi Michigan,
Thanks buddy, ha ha yeah- that would be the colour! It's been one of those days.

I've always been a fan of Poorbys and Chemical guys. I use Poorboys Natty Paste blue, followed by Poorboys black hole to eliminate swirls and usually top it off with jetseal.

However Perfect Lap has given me an alternative regime. I'm always open to new suggestions, especially from dedicated owners and fellow enthusiasts.

woodsman 05-13-2013 12:22 PM

ultra clean! Ithink I may debadge after seeing your rear:D

Perfectlap 05-13-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssexPorsche (Post 342481)
Hi Michigan,
I've always been a fan of Poorbys and Chemical guys. I use Poorboys Natty Paste blue, followed by Poorboys black hole to eliminate swirls and usually top it off with jetseal.

However Perfect Lap has given me an alternative regime. I'm always open to new suggestions, especially from dedicated owners and fellow enthusiasts.

I've used those same ones, great products. Keep using them if you feel the intervals you like keeping are not promoting more swirls. The product I recommended merely goes on top as a final 'locking in' touch. Not really a sealant though, just a longevity product of sorts to keep the 10/10's final shine from going to 7/10's to quickly. But the towels are the bigger culprit, from now on the long nap like the Griots blue and green (I'm sure others make a similar towel, probably on Poorboys' site) are the only towel that touch metal, followed by a proper buffing/concourse towel. The typical microfiber towel sold in packs at autostores is now for bumpers, wheels and interior only.

EssexPorsche 05-13-2013 12:46 PM

I'm on the case with towels first thing tomorrow.
:D

AndyA6 05-13-2013 03:30 PM

Supernice car, prob cleanest on the board!