986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Keeping the mesh windblockers on (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45669-keeping-mesh-windblockers.html)

Stephan Silverman 05-10-2013 05:52 AM

Keeping the mesh windblockers on

Seems that so many 986 owners have only one mesh windlocker or none and are looking for same from time to time. I know they come with tabs and rubber thingees but is there any way people have devised to keep these from blowing off or coming loose?

clickman 05-10-2013 05:56 AM

Zipties worked for me.

Overdrive 05-10-2013 06:03 AM

It's not pretty, but zip ties held mine in with no issues, and weren't noticeable unless I pointed them out to people. They still rattled because they sit in there more loosely than they should, but they went nowhere until I cut the ties and pulled them out myself. Just make sure you get some that are thin enough to fit through one of the holes of the diffuser, while still being long enough to wrap around the roll bar.

If you search a bit you'll find some things folks have done, mostly just explained. I've never really seen photos of the handiwork, but from the explanations it's pretty easy to imagine and figure out. Some people glue/double-sided-tape in a little strip of felt or rubber on each tab, and that provides a little more thickness to the tabs to quiet the rattles and squeaks, as well as provides some friction to keep them in place.

There are also some aftermarket options that are more like a larger version of the lexan middle wind deflector, which run the entire distance from one roll bar end to the other, and screw in place onto the roll bar itself to keep it in place. It's one of the products advertised in a few spots throughout this forum.

jaykay 05-10-2013 06:19 AM

I used bicycle inner tube patch material on each tab. I cut the rubber to size an d built up a pad on each tab such that it was thicker and gad more grip.

Overdrive 05-10-2013 06:34 AM

^^ See what I mean? Nice, jaykay. I think I'm going to try that when I go to put them back in.

ccstud17 05-10-2013 07:02 AM

black silicon on the tabs for me!

john90290 05-10-2013 07:41 AM

I use the soft side of some black velcro tabs. Unseen and keeps the darn things from making noise or moving.

58ceramicgreen 05-10-2013 07:59 AM

I just added a small piece of thick black foam tape to each pad. snugs them up, stops any rattle and you can still pop them in and out to clean.

BruceH 05-10-2013 08:02 AM

Zip Ties

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1368201738.jpg

AKnowles 05-10-2013 01:33 PM

One of my tabs is broken and the PO used a piece of Velcro on it.

Porsche Pete 05-10-2013 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do what i do and wear a hair net... and if its really windy just zip tie it to your ears...(make holes with a bradawl) :D

V-Rod 05-10-2013 04:39 PM

I just purchased a pair and I noticed that they went in and out fairly easy. So I cut six pieces of 3M double faced foam adhesive and put it on all the tabs. Then removed the backing and carefully put the bottom in first and then the top while holding the tab until the screen was seated and then pressed the tab to adhere it. Oh I also put a strip of foam in the center recess in order for the whole unit to fit more snug. I did not remove the backing from the center piece. It is very snug with no squeaks or rattles.

986_c6 05-10-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche Pete (Post 342033)
Do what i do and wear a hair net... and if its really windy just zip tie it to your ears...(make holes with a bradawl) :D

:D:D:D

Honestly, I ditched the windscreen thingys a long time ago, esp since I put the BK roll bar extension on a long time ago.

Bryan topping 05-10-2013 05:30 PM

Zip ties work great. I use Panduit PLT3I-C0

nieuwhzn 05-10-2013 09:46 PM

Black zipties at the bottom, just to be sure.

Vista glass 05-11-2013 03:12 AM

I used velcro cut to fit on the screen frame and the roll bar. It is invisible since all componets are black. They do make velcro in an assortment of colors and lengths, widths, check at a fabric retailer. Mine have no rattle. They are very secure, almost difficult to remove from the rollbar. There was one tab broken off when I got the car. They have been speed tested to triple digits without any movement.

clickman 05-11-2013 06:56 AM

The good thing about zip ties is that they make it just that much harder for the casual thief to rip them out of your car. Apparently this is not an infrequent occurrance.

Overdrive 05-11-2013 07:43 AM

This is true, and sadly, some folks will take the opportunity to pop those things out and run just because the opportunity was there. That said, the only time the top is down in my car is when I'm driving it. Remove the opportunity, and they can't take it.

southernstar 05-13-2013 04:28 AM

The problem with zip ties is that you need to remove the screens in order to clean the inside of the rear window. Velcro may not deter thieves (although the motion sensor in the optional alarm system will); otherwise, as has been suggested, just put the top up when parking the car out of eyesight.