986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Conti v Bridgestone Tire Choice (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45644-conti-v-bridgestone-tire-choice.html)

thom4782 05-09-2013 01:15 PM

Conti v Bridgestone Tire Choice

I know the forum has discussed tires a lot. I have a very specific question.

I have Bridgestone 760 Sports on my 01S. I like them a lot because they are quiet and comfortable. It's time to replace them and I am considering Continental DWSs as an alternative because their wearing rating is 60% higher 500 v 340.

Comfort and quiet are more important to me than handling so here's my specific question. Are the DWS's better or worse than the Bridgestones in terms of comfort and noise? The Tire Rack comparision says they are about the same.

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

dagdisco03 05-10-2013 05:41 AM

I had the Continental DWS's on my E60 BMW and hated them. Cupped badly and wore out much faster then the rating suggested. They were great in the snow that was it the rest of the time noisy as hell in that car. Also flatted more tires then ever with those tires. Google that and you will see a lot of people talking about getting more flats with the DWS. Changed to Yokohama Avid's and love them. It's also been 2 yeas since I had a flat on that car. With the DWS I don't think I made it 6 months without a flat. Bridgestone 760 Sports I had on my Z3 and it was a very quiet tire. I was still able to place 2nd regularly in the Autocross stock class using the tire. I never tried them in the snow. I would buy the 760 Sports again. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better tire for what you are looking for. The wear number 500 vs 340 doesn't tell the full story. If you are looking at tires from the same brand that number has more meaning.

paintboy 05-10-2013 05:51 AM

I love my DWS tires. 30K on them and how almost no wear. Really none of the issues dagdisco03 had. Great year round tire for me in me on my daily driver. Great ride. Have road tripped Indy to Los Angeles several times and I have zero issues with them. I think they are a perfect all season tire for those who only occasionally do four wheel drifts.

Joe B 05-10-2013 06:12 AM

Aren't you trying to compare a summer tire to an all season tire?

thom4782 05-10-2013 06:42 AM

Thanks for the comments so far. I am comparing an all season tire to a summer one. Where I live in CA, there is no winter to speak of. Probably going to go with the 760s under the theory that the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

jotoole 05-10-2013 07:09 AM

I've had Conti DWS for 4 years & 20,000 mi on my 2000 base. Driven hard.
No issues. None.

evo-r 05-11-2013 07:23 AM

I've Conti DWS and like them but if you don't get snow or extreme cold weather then just get the Conti DW instead.

986_c6 05-11-2013 09:36 AM

I would lean towards the Bridgestones, but spend just a little more for their summer tires...they wear great, grip great, rain is no problem (once I was in Palm Springs with slight flooding of streets and highways, all the suvs were having trouble and I was still going 80mph on my Box without a hint of hydroplaning).

As another member said here, the wear numbers only compare within the company, they have no meaning at all when you cross reference brands, just fyi.

fatmike 05-11-2013 11:08 AM

I run the Continental DW's (NOT THE DWS) and I think they are fantastic. Summer performance version of that tire.

Not an over the top performance tire, but a great all around summer performance tire for a daily driver.

/

Pkvoss 05-12-2013 12:29 PM

I love my dws, I drive my cars like I stole them, so I don't get the 50k milage, but Conti has prorated the tires for me with no issues. Just provid them with proof of tire rotations and 1 per year alignment. The DW have no prorate warranty...

Skrapmot 05-13-2013 12:05 PM

Conti here, 20k miles and counting.

Pilot2519j 05-16-2016 02:24 PM

Continental here and I have to say that I have been experiencing hydroplaning lately and it is quite frightening. The tires are at most a year and half old and I don't put that many miles yearly.
The hydroplaning is caused by small water puddles on the highway and the rear end starts sliding all over the place so now I drive under 45 miles when raining, I also try run in the path of the vehicles in front of me in which the water has been sucked up. I am thinking going back to the Michelin Pilots I used to use. Any suggestion?

MN 986 05-16-2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmike (Post 342189)
I run the Continental DW's (NOT THE DWS) and I think they are fantastic. Summer performance version of that tire.

Not an over the top performance tire, but a great all around summer performance tire for a daily driver.

/

+1 on the Conti DW summer version. I have had them on my Boxster for about 50k miles (1 set of fronts and 2 sets of rears) and just ordered the next full set. Very happy with the ride and handling.

Finnegan 05-16-2016 04:32 PM

I used the DWS's last winter and thought they were very good. But I've never had the 760's so I can't offer a comparison. I just put on RE11's last week, and the improvement is pretty incredible.

Pirate50 05-16-2016 07:00 PM

Bridgestone- I run the S02A's and love them

Deserion 05-16-2016 08:39 PM

I had the Conti DWSs on my old GTI and thought they were decent. For a Boxster I'd go with the DWs, though.

So I can't truly comment on either tire you're asking on in regards to Boxster usage, but I'd suggest giving the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 a look - I have them on mine and I'm quite pleased with the performance (especially given the price).

Ciao 05-17-2016 01:20 PM

Bridgestone; I had summer Contis on my Audi and had issues hydroplaning, flats, etc. Bridgestone on my Lexus are great but wear quicker than Michelines

jb92563 05-18-2016 01:12 PM

The Hankook V12 are great summer tires and are surprsingly great in the wet as well. They don't wear down too fast, plus the price is excellent.

They handle great and are decent for Auto-X and are quiet on the highway and streets.

I think you should switch and get a better performing tire at less cost.

Fintro11 05-18-2016 02:18 PM

Super sports hands down

Heiko 05-18-2016 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirate50 (Post 496273)
Bridgestone- I run the S02A's and love them

+1 on the S-02A's, Great tires! :cheers: