986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Brake bleeding question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4564-brake-bleeding-question.html)

Adam 12-19-2005 08:52 PM

Brake bleeding question

I found something interesting as I scanned my Bently service manual. It says cars that have PSM or ABS/TC 5.3 should connect a PST 2 system while bleeding the brakes. My car doesn't have PSM so I dodged that hassle, but what is ABS/TC 5.3 and how does it differ from basic ABS 5.3? How do I know which ABS system I have? If I don't have PSM, then do I have the basic ABS system? Tool pants?

ohioboxster 12-20-2005 01:41 AM

Looks like T/C means traction control and I dont know what "tool pants"
means.

Rail26 12-20-2005 04:23 AM

Tool Pants is the screen name for the "old man on the hill". If you come to the forum with a goat, 3 bags of rice and a young virgin for trade, he will give you a taste of his infinite Porsche wisdom. For one more goat, he will post pictures of odd things he does to his porsche such as putting peanut oil in the oil resevoir.

RandallNeighbour 12-20-2005 07:00 AM

Hope his wife doesn't find out about all those young virgins. Or the goats for that matter.

Rail26 12-20-2005 03:26 PM

bbbaaaaaahhhhhh (Goat sound for all who were wondering).

Adam 12-23-2005 05:19 PM

bump...........

Tool Pants 12-24-2005 12:18 AM

Skip the goats and bags of rice. A virgin will do.

Traction control was an option 1997-2000 and replaced by the optional PSM 2001-2004. Both have a dash switch to turn it off. No switch then all you have is the standard ABS, no PSM and a 2003 will not have traction control.

There are 2 types of ABS control units. With and without traction control. We bleed brakes all the time without a PST2/PIWIS, the diagnostic computer. With a PST2 you can open the valves in the control unit. You do not need to do this unless you have replaced the unit and/or there is air in it.

How about brake fluid in a beer bottle?

Adam 12-24-2005 08:20 AM

Thanks for responding Tool pants. I figured as much, but better to be sure than have any surprises right in the middle of a job.

Rail26 12-25-2005 09:03 AM

Does a fine stout or cream ale work the best?

BadBoyS 03-27-2006 06:19 AM

help@@@

Going to bleed the brakes tonight got the motive pressure bleeder and tubing getting the fluid today. I have the back tires off already on stands. I see there are two bleeders one in front one in the back. I see in the Pic from Toolpants that hes bleeding from the back Do you need to do both??? Thanks in advance.... :cheers:

MNBoxster 03-27-2006 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadBoyS
Going to bleed the brakes tonight got the motive pressure bleeder and tubing getting the fluid today. I have the back tires off already on stands. I see there are two bleeders one in front one in the back. I see in the Pic from Toolpants that hes bleeding from the back Do you need to do both??? Thanks in advance.... :cheers:

Hi,

You need to start in the rear (farthest Caliper from the Master) and work in sequence forward, so RR, LR, RF, LF. Be sure to allow at least a cup of fluid to run from each Caliper to insure you're getting all the air bubbles and old Fluid out.

Also, Bleed the Clutch in the same manner because you already have the Power Bleeder filled and attached - 85% there already. Since the two systems share the same Fluid Reservoir, if you don't flush the Clutch Hydraulics at the same time, you will contaminate your nice new fluid. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

BadBoyS 03-27-2006 12:36 PM

Sorry Should have given more detail there are two bleeders at each caliper do I need to do both or just the back. :cheers:

MNBoxster 03-27-2006 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadBoyS
Sorry Should have given more detail there are two bleeders at each caliper do I need to do both or just the back. :cheers:

Hi,

I was not aware that there are two Bleed Valves on each Caliper. Are you certain? It's the first I've heard of it. Is this a Big Brake feature?

If indeed there are two Bleed Valves, then I suspect you need to bleed them both. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

donv 03-27-2006 06:40 PM

Yes, there are definitely two bleeders per wheel, even without Big Reds. You bleed both. I don't have the instructions handy, but I believe it is the same sequence mentioned above and then for a given wheel bleed inboard first then outboard bleeder.

spgribben007 03-28-2006 07:49 AM

This might help you...

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/bleed_and_flush/

BadBoyS 03-28-2006 05:59 PM

THANKS ALL!!!!! I Did it tonight and Bleed both as in link. First Time using the Power Bleeder and WOW does that make the job easy and one man. Well on to the fuel filter and all my pm's are done.

:dance: :cheers:

jeff740 03-29-2006 01:52 PM

Any one have a good link for knowing how to or what is involved in flushing the clutch fluid??? Is it absolutely necessary and will the old fluid in the clutch comtaminate the fresh fluid in the brakelines?? Also, how much brake fluid will I need to do a complete flush of the brakes only??

Thanks in advanced!

Jeff.

mattatk 04-26-2010 05:02 PM

Hey bringing this topic back up....

I'm new to all this & also noted in the Bentley Service Manual that the PST2 is required to bleed brakes on my boxster s with PSM. Does anyone know if you can just turn off the PSM & do it the old way?? I think i read somewhere that even if you turn off PSM it is still on automatically until a certain speed?!?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

Oaktown 986 08-15-2010 11:56 AM

Hey; while this topic is being slightly revived, I just replaced my brake booster, and had to remove the ABS unit to pull the rusty (internally) booster out. I now need to bleed the ABS and brakes and understand bleeding the brakes, but not the ABS. How should I proceed?

JFP in PA 08-15-2010 12:07 PM

You need access to a PST II/PIWIS/Durametric system to cycle the ABS system while bleeding it. Those three systems are the only ones kown to be able to do this....................