986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Refinishing hood crest (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45573-refinishing-hood-crest.html)

mistermac99 05-07-2013 06:31 PM

Refinishing hood crest
 
My 1999 hood crest looks pretty good, except for the word "Porsche" across the top.
The black paint is fading and disappearing.
I saw a show one time that showed the Porsche workers hand-making the crests, and then filling the black letters with paint, dispensed from what looked to be a hypodermic needle.

I was thinking I could remove my crest, purchase a needle, and fill with black enamel paint, then spray over the entire crest with a clear lacquer.

Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions about the best way to complete the process?

particlewave 05-07-2013 06:48 PM

I would do enamel and a light bake in the oven at 225-250F for 15-20 minutes, no clear coat. I've never touched up a Porsche crest, but that's what I would do.

darknight 05-07-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermac99 (Post 341524)
saw a show one time that showed the Porsche workers hand-making the crests, and then filling the black letters with paint, dispensed from what looked to be a hypodermic needle.

I was thinking I could remove my crest, purchase a needle, and fill with black enamel paint, then spray over the entire crest with a clear lacquer.

Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions about the best way to complete the process?

Interesting. . . This must be what you are talking about: This is how much trouble Porsche takes to remanufacture old emblems

Spinnaker 05-07-2013 11:36 PM

Don't paint over enamel with lacquer. They are not compatible and can cause the paint to wrinkle or bubble. If you are dead set on a clear coat you might try clear Rustoleum enamel but test it on something else first to be sure the black and clear are compatible.

litespeedp 05-08-2013 04:13 AM

My 2 cents worth.......One of the things I really like about P cars is the fact that the emblem displayed on our front hoods are actually made of metal with placement tabs though the hood.The emblem represents the entire brand of any product and it should be quality.I see almost every other luxury car with glued on plastic emblems and it looks lame.The buying public has overlooked this problem.

Flavor 987S 05-08-2013 06:04 AM

Buy a new one. I'd suggest something a little different, and get a silver one from Bumperplugs. This would work well with your Artic Silver paint. Not cheap, but high quality and worth it.

The Radium King 05-08-2013 06:42 AM

there is a guy on rennlist called 'intrepidagent' that refinishes hood crests in black, silver, black/red, etc. good work.

coolbreeze551 05-08-2013 01:09 PM

Maxspeed Motorsports also has silver hood crest and I think the price is reasonable. No affiliation

SeanZ4 05-08-2013 02:40 PM

Mine was doing the same thing. I just bought a new one. This has been a few years ago but I think it was around $50?? Made a big difference.

Dr.Strangepork 05-08-2013 03:12 PM

I wondered why the crests cost $100+ ...I guess that explains it!

mistermac99 05-08-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darknight (Post 341544)
Interesting. . . This must be what you are talking about: This is how much trouble Porsche takes to remanufacture old emblems

Yes, that's the video.
I need to find a paint dispensor with a tiny tip, so I can refresh the black in the Porsche letters.

mistermac99 05-08-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinnaker (Post 341553)
Don't paint over enamel with lacquer. They are not compatible and can cause the paint to wrinkle or bubble. If you are dead set on a clear coat you might try clear Rustoleum enamel but test it on something else first to be sure the black and clear are compatible.

Maybe just putting the enamel in the letters and letting it dry will do. May not need a clear enamel. I think it's worth a shot. Going to be tedious work though.

mistermac99 05-08-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 341526)
I would do enamel and a light bake in the oven at 225-250F for 15-20 minutes, no clear coat. I've never touched up a Porsche crest, but that's what I would do.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the suggestion.
That small amount of heat shouldn't hurt the crest, and would help cure the enamel.

mistermac99 05-08-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S (Post 341576)
Buy a new one. I'd suggest something a little different, and get a silver one from Bumperplugs. This would work well with your Artic Silver paint. Not cheap, but high quality and worth it.

I think I would rather stay with the original type and color, but thanks for the information.

gerber28 05-08-2013 05:31 PM

I'm not sure I'd tackle the hood crest but I did some touch up on wheel crests with model paint and a toothpick

Porsche Chick 05-08-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermac99 (Post 341675)
Yes, that's the video.
I need to find a paint dispensor with a tiny tip, so I can refresh the black in the Porsche letters.

Or as I call it, nail polish. :D

The best brand is Esse, it's usually at Ulta, some CVS's and most Walgreens. Black is a very standard nail polish color these days.

There is a huge difference in quality of polish brands, so don't just get any old polish.

But that is lacquer, so not sure if that's what you want.

If you find an enamel paint that you prefer, I would just get some child-size syringes at the drugstore, and pluck out the needle.

mistermac99 05-09-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche Chick (Post 341683)
Or as I call it, nail polish. :D

The best brand is Esse, it's usually at Ulta, some CVS's and most Walgreens. Black is a very standard nail polish color these days.

There is a huge difference in quality of polish brands, so don't just get any old polish.

But that is lacquer, so not sure if that's what you want.

If you find an enamel paint that you prefer, I would just get some child-size syringes at the drugstore, and pluck out the needle.

Thanks for the tip! Get it? :)

AKnowles 05-17-2013 08:08 PM

Saw this on eBay. For $44 thought you might be interested.

New Porsche Emblem 911 993 986 987 996 997 Cayman Boxster | eBay

Not my auction BTW.

Intrepidagent 03-21-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 341581)
there is a guy on rennlist called 'intrepidagent' that refinishes hood crests in black, silver, black/red, etc. good work.

Thanks for the kind words about the crests I refinish:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps8d4f323f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps2f718020.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps9cd01744.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...pscb3c8bb2.jpg


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website