986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How do you switch the power supply on the cigarette lighter socket? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45553-how-do-you-switch-power-supply-cigarette-lighter-socket.html)

juicepro 05-06-2013 07:25 PM

How do you switch the power supply on the cigarette lighter socket?

Mine is always powered on, I want to switch it to on with ignition key only

nieuwhzn 05-06-2013 09:06 PM

The advantage of having it always on is that you can plug in a battery maintainer. It took me a while to figure out why my Saab Viggen wasn't charging using the same battery maintainer that was working fine when plugged into the cigarette lighter of the Boxster. Yeah, you guessed right, the Saab switches the lighter off, bummer.

juicepro 05-07-2013 07:31 AM

That's what I thought, but this my daily driver. I want to be able to leave my radar detector plugged in without it draining the battery

Troutman 05-07-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieuwhzn (Post 341384)
The advantage of having it always on is that you can plug in a battery maintainer. It took me a while to figure out why my Saab Viggen wasn't charging using the same battery maintainer that was working fine when plugged into the cigarette lighter of the Boxster. Yeah, you guessed right, the Saab switches the lighter off, bummer.

Didnt know they put fag lighters in Swedish fighter aircraft:eek:

Wret 05-07-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juicepro (Post 341451)
That's what I thought, but this my daily driver. I want to be able to leave my radar detector plugged in without it draining the battery

There should be a connector under the center console with an extra switched and unswitched wire.

juicepro 05-07-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wret (Post 341460)
There should be a connector under the center console with an extra switched and unswitched wire.

I've seen that, it's for the factory phone. So do I just run a wire from there to the back of the lighter socket?

2003S 05-07-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juicepro (Post 341463)
I've seen that, it's for the factory phone. So do I just run a wire from there to the back of the lighter socket?

Just hard wire your radar detector right to the phone kit, and leave your lighter socket alone. See this handy step by step guide (V1 centric, but the basic idea applies to any).

Pelican Technical Article: Integrating the Valentine Radar Detector into the Boxster

stephen wilson 05-07-2013 09:56 AM

Do you know if there is a similar (switched) wire in the console of a 987?

juicepro 05-07-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003S (Post 341467)
Just hard wire your radar detector right to the phone kit, and leave your lighter socket alone. See this handy step by step guide (V1 centric, but the basic idea applies to any).

Pelican Technical Article: Integrating the Valentine Radar Detector into the Boxster

Good idea, I just ordered the cable. Thanks for the instructions