986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   power up blank switches (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45551-power-up-blank-switches.html)

Batman_Has_A_Boxster 05-06-2013 06:49 PM

power up blank switches

I have a 98 Boxster and I installed some LED strips under and behind my seats and am powering them with a cigarette lighter plug that I plug and unplug to activate. I would like to know how I can use the blank switches as a source of toggling on/off and most importantly, routing power to those switches. Where can I run power from to power up my LEDs? Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Mark_T 05-07-2013 05:49 AM

Did you run dingle balls across the top of the windshield as well? Too bad there is no radio antenna to adorn, eh?

Coffinhunter 05-07-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 341413)
Did you run dingle balls across the top of the windshield as well? Too bad there is no radio antenna to adorn, eh?

Wow, that's a bit harsh. His question is actually pretty valid. I would like to know how to power those swithces, but for different reasons.

particlewave 05-07-2013 06:25 AM

B-HAB; there is a 12v switched power source behind your radio. Use a multi-meter to make sure that you have the right one. Pretty easy...

Mark_T 05-07-2013 10:21 AM

It wasn't about the switches. It's the tacky accessorizing that I'm ribbing him about. All in good fun of course.

Rickinduncan 05-07-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 341413)

Funny. I didn't know you could still buy dingle balls
:)

woodsman 05-07-2013 10:40 AM

... after all the factory installed LED's into these interiors starting in MY2000
...everything new is created in one's youth...
I think I may try adding neon (am I dated myself?) or blue LED's UNDER my purple car. I think it'd look pretty cool, gliding down the street --life's too short to live small
'Batman has a Boxster' you may find the details you're looking for in the 'do it yourself section'

Mark_T 05-07-2013 11:07 AM

Maybe you could get one of those Knightrider scanner bars to move a red light back and forth across the front of the car. That would be totally cool! :rolleyes:

particlewave 05-07-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 341476)
Maybe you could get one of those Knightrider scanner bars to move a red light back and forth across the front of the car. That would be totally cool! :rolleyes:

Shhhhh!!! Dammit!
I was going to do that :(

ChrisZang 05-07-2013 11:38 AM

A) yep the easiest way is to tap into the switched power source in the center console
B) why all this mockery? Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. Some people like 19" wheels, others don't; some people think Porsche or Boxster logos across their doors look great others think its fugly, etc
Lets stop making fun of people's personal taste, it's a free country after all ;-)

particlewave 05-07-2013 12:05 PM

I was serious about the Knight Rider light bar :confused:

AKnowles 05-07-2013 02:20 PM

Actually, a nice source od both switched and unswitched power is the phone accessory under the radio/center console area. From there, running it to a replacement switch for the left hand side of the U should be easy.

Mark_T 05-07-2013 02:33 PM

Hey, Batman really does have a Boxster! Now that's way cooler than a KITT light bar!

http://www.members.shaw.ca/oshikuru/batmoboxster.jpg

Batman_Has_A_Boxster 05-08-2013 01:31 PM

very funny mark, they're actually not tacky, they're very nice. And thanks everybody for the tips!

Mark_T 05-08-2013 02:12 PM

I have heard of some cases where installing these lights can have unpredictable results, such as the clamshell suddenly stops working, or the right rear fog light doesn't come on. :D

woodsman 05-09-2013 01:40 PM

come to think of it... that reciprocating light on Kitt was cool-- maybe it's time for it to ' come around again'...ah nostalgia
Oh, Mark T don't look at "the best lights money can buy" thread...