986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   What exactly do you feel difference wise between a Boxster and 911? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45550-what-exactly-do-you-feel-difference-wise-between-boxster-911-a.html)

rondocap 05-06-2013 05:35 PM

What exactly do you feel difference wise between a Boxster and 911?

I drove a 2002 Carrera 4S and a 2007 Carrera 4S, and compared it to driving the Boxster.

They both have more power, but it's gradual. Nothing night and day, both pulled in a similar fashion like the Boxster, just with more torque it felt like.

Now where I saw the bigger difference was how the car felt. It felt much larger, and a bit more luxury like vs the Boxster. I also mean the suspension - it felt a bit softer and you could sort of feel the weight a little more.

By comparison, the Boxster feels a bit more connected to the road - and more svelte.

Are these what other people feel? I did not push them on curves too much, but I just somehow felt I could feel the weight of the 911 more versus the Boxster which feels lighter and more neutral. It may be due to the engine placement.

ramo80 05-06-2013 07:01 PM

What's funny is I was at the dealership this week to get my key reprogrammed and I heard a salesman use the following line

"A balls to the wall boxster will run you 80G. An average 911 will run you 125G. I have no idea why anyone would pay 40% more for a car that is 10% better"

Made sense to me I guess

WhipE350 05-06-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rondocap (Post 341340)
I drove a 2002 Carrera 4S and a 2007 Carrera 4S, and compared it to driving the Boxster.

They both have more power, but it's gradual. Nothing night and day, both pulled in a similar fashion like the Boxster, just with more torque it felt like.

Now where I saw the bigger difference was how the car felt. It felt much larger, and a bit more luxury like vs the Boxster. I also mean the suspension - it felt a bit softer and you could sort of feel the weight a little more.

By comparison, the Boxster feels a bit more connected to the road - and more svelte.

Are these what other people feel? I did not push them on curves too much, but I just somehow felt I could feel the weight of the 911 more versus the Boxster which feels lighter and more neutral. It may be due to the engine placement.

Things haven't changed much. This is really the difference between a 981 and 991 too. I drive both a lot and each offers a different type of driving pleasure yet still both feel so much like a Porsche. I thoroughly enjoy going back and forth.

litespeedp 05-06-2013 07:20 PM

This sounds crazy but I feel more "centered" in the interior of a 911.The engine sound is more distant and the AC/heat and air circulation is greater because there is this great rear cavity behind you.The sounds/noises in the interior are just a loud as the Box,but because there is more volume,long trips are more comfortable.The older,lighter, non power assisted steering 911's feel like they have turn in just as good as our Box's.To a point.....

Thank goodness, Porsche builds both the 911 and the Box! I love my Box S and hope someday to own a 69-73 or a 993 -------911 as well.

BYprodriver 05-06-2013 07:23 PM

For me the big difference is the Boxsters willingness to rotate & turn. :)

thstone 05-06-2013 08:02 PM

I just bought a 996 after my Boxster was totaled. After owning a 911 for about a month, there are some real differences. In fact, the more that I drive the 911, the more different the cars feel.

mountainman 05-07-2013 05:57 AM

more power in the 911 but better handling in the boxster. I have a C4 and an 04 boxster S and an 08 boxster S. My car of choice to drive is the 08. Almost as much power as the 911 and much better balance. Winter is a different story.http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1367934923.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1367935012.jpg

TWODAN 05-07-2013 09:49 AM

I came from a 2010S which i had two years. When I got it, fired it up, and headed for twisty roads, it knew what I wanted it to do. It just screamed around curves. I'm sure it saved my hide a few times. I was never concerned about the back end wildly breaking loose. I now have a 2013 C2SC. After about two months, I'm still learning how to enter curves and on ramps. I've broken loose the rear end on a few sharp corners that I drove the Boxster on before with out a worry. Maybe it's because I booted it out of the curve as before and the C2 is more powerful? Maybe it's because the ass end is heavier? Don't know. It does feel heavier and more sure footed on the interstate over 75. It is quieter, larger, and most importantly better liked by my wife. I would compare the Boxster to Eddie Haskell. Loud, brash and always looking for trouble. The carrera prefers to quietly sneak up into trouble unnoticed.
Dan

Perfectlap 05-07-2013 09:56 AM

^ The Boxster is a cheetah.

The Carrera used to be a cheetah... more like a big fat lion now.

Except the Carrera is not the king of the jungle in its class.

EssexPorsche 05-08-2013 07:17 AM

ha ha, there it is again, my favourite garage shot!

:cheers: to MM - true P-car love!

Coffinhunter 05-08-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssexPorsche (Post 341601)
ha ha, there it is again, my favourite garage shot!

:cheers: to MM - true P-car love!

Is it wrong for me to hate him........just a little????:cheers:

rp17 05-08-2013 09:04 PM

Off topic but that is one hellofaview to wake up to every morning. I say we SWITCH for a day. :D

I find this thread interesting. If not for bigger displacement and two useless back seats, I would never even consider the 911 anymore.